U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:39 PM

1,817 posts, read 3,797,168 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some good recipes for canned salmon.

For fun tonight I tried one that is basicly canned salmon, milk, soup, butter and flour, little cheese, peas and carrots,topped with biscuits and baked in the oven. Well it ended up horribly salty, yuck! I'm pretty sure if I vary it to include something besides salty soup it might taste ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 04:51 AM

3,187 posts, read 2,780,142 times
I make this chowder with canned salmon on a fairly regular basis. Alaskan Salmon Chowder Recipe - Allrecipes.com

It might be better with fresh salmon which can also be used, but I find it very convenient to keep a couple of tins of salmon around and know I can make a satisfying soup. Edited to add that I add salt last, to taste, if necessary, since tinned salmon can be quite salty on its own.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:55 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,584,929 times
I buy the Chicken of the Sea Pink Salmon in the pouch. I always make their Simple Salmon Cake recipe. Here's the link to their website where you can find lots of recipes:

Chicken of the Sea Seafood Recipe List

Easy Salmon CakesIngredients1 (6-oz.) Chicken of the Seaź Premium Skinless & Boneless Pink Salmon Pouch
1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Dash cayenne pepper
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
3 Tablespoons butter

DirectionsIn bowl, combine red pepper, green onions, mayonnaise, lemon juice, seasoned salt, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Stir in Chicken of the Seaź Salmon, egg and 1/3-cup breadcrumbs (mixture may be sticky). Divide and form mixture into 4 balls. Roll salmon balls in remaining breadcrumbs; flatten into cakes about 1/2-inch thick. In skillet, melt butter over Medium heat. Fry salmon cakes 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Makes four servings.

Preparation Time10 minutes, Cook time 8 minutes

Serving SuggestionsDollop these cakes with an easy Lemon Dill and Chive Sauce. Simply combine 1/3-cup of sour cream with a pinch of lemon zest and 1-teaspoon each of fresh dill and chives

Old 04-26-2011, 08:57 AM

21,249 posts, read 19,316,653 times
If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they sell packages of plain, freshly poached salmon for about $7. (Maybe 10 oz or so?) Fresh salmon is infinitely better than canned.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:33 AM

8,682 posts, read 12,474,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they sell packages of plain, freshly poached salmon for about $7. (Maybe 10 oz or so?) Fresh salmon is infinitely better than canned.
I totally agree with this. there is no place in the world for canned salmon when a huge salmon filet can be bouoght at Sam's Club for $15, poached in a little court bullion and topped with capers for less than the price of canned.

I cut the salmon filet into three pieces (each a meal for two) and freeze two and eat one, often poaching as JJ suggests. If more flavor is desired, then a dab of fish base in the court bullion will do the trick.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:55 PM

133 posts, read 132,608 times
Default RE: Canned Salmon - Actually good

I can attest that these are quite good. They are better with fresh or frozen salmon than with canned, but this is still quite tasty.

Salmon Cakes with Creamy Ginger-Sesame Sauce
Ingredients
  • 6 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
  • 2 (15-ounce) cans salmon, drained, skin and bones removed
  • 2 eggs lightly beaten
  • 5 scallions
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped canned water chestnuts
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
  • Creamy Ginger- Sesame Sauce, recipe follows
Directions
Remove crusts from the bread, break into pieces, and process in a food processor until you get a fine bread crumb. In a large bowl, flake apart the salmon with a fork. Add the egg and mix well. Finely chop 4 of the scallions and add to the bowl. Add the water chestnuts, cilantro, pepper, and the bread crumbs and mix well. Shape the mixture into 12 patties.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil over a medium heat. Add 6 patties and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Transfer the cooked patties to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil to the pan, and cook the rest of the salmon cakes, 5 minutes on each side.
Chop the remaining 1scallion. Serve salmon cakes with the sauce and garnish with scallion.
Creamy Ginger-Sesame Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt, or 6 tablespoons nonfat Greek-style yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons mayo
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon low-sodium sauce
If using regular yogurt place the yogurt in a strainer lined with a paper towel. Put the strainer over a bowl and place in the refrigerator to drain and thicken for 30 minutes. Place drained yogurt or Greek-style yogurt into a small bowl. Add mayonnaise, ginger, sesame oil, and soy sauce. Whisk until smooth.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:28 PM

3,791 posts, read 1,784,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBookworm View Post
I can attest that these are quite good. They are better with fresh or frozen salmon than with canned, but this is still quite tasty.

Salmon Cakes with Creamy Ginger-Sesame Sauce
Ingredients
  • 6 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
  • 2 (15-ounce) cans salmon, drained, skin and bones removed
  • 2 eggs lightly beaten
  • 5 scallions
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped canned water chestnuts
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
  • Creamy Ginger- Sesame Sauce, recipe follows
Directions
Remove crusts from the bread, break into pieces, and process in a food processor until you get a fine bread crumb. In a large bowl, flake apart the salmon with a fork. Add the egg and mix well. Finely chop 4 of the scallions and add to the bowl. Add the water chestnuts, cilantro, pepper, and the bread crumbs and mix well. Shape the mixture into 12 patties.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil over a medium heat. Add 6 patties and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Transfer the cooked patties to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil to the pan, and cook the rest of the salmon cakes, 5 minutes on each side.
Chop the remaining 1scallion. Serve salmon cakes with the sauce and garnish with scallion.
Creamy Ginger-Sesame Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt, or 6 tablespoons nonfat Greek-style yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons mayo
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
  • 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon low-sodium sauce
If using regular yogurt place the yogurt in a strainer lined with a paper towel. Put the strainer over a bowl and place in the refrigerator to drain and thicken for 30 minutes. Place drained yogurt or Greek-style yogurt into a small bowl. Add mayonnaise, ginger, sesame oil, and soy sauce. Whisk until smooth.
This recipe sounds great. The next time I buy fresh/frozen salmon I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2011, 09:34 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,730,525 times
1 can salmon (I remove the skin and bones)
1 med egg
flour
Put salmon and liquid from can in bowl and use a fork to break salmon into small peices. Add egg and enough flour so that it is not runny. Mix. Fry in hot shortening. I didn't give a measure for the flour because the ammount of liquid varies from can to can.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:43 AM

75 posts, read 119,248 times
Salmon patties! These are all approximates cause I never measure, and nothing too special... I just toss together a can of wild-caught salmon, a handful of crushed saltine crackers, an egg, and about half a diced onion. Shape them into patties and toss them into a small pan with a little hot olive (or whatever kind you have) oil... Fry for several minutes on each side til they're cooked through and nice and golden on either side.

I love them with cubed, fried potatoes, and some yummy fresh green beans. I grew up in a major salmon fishing town and even though I KNOW how to make some pretty awesome fresh salmon, sometimes these little easy patties just hit the spot for me!

Old 05-10-2011, 05:11 PM

18,868 posts, read 15,987,943 times
I eat canned salmon, I love it just plain in salads, or on crackers. I make it like tuna fish salad...yummy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes