U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-19-2011, 08:37 AM
 
Location: in your dreams
10,890 posts, read 13,558,579 times
Reputation: 15338

Advertisements

I always thought flavored oils were so cool. This sounds like an awesome gift!

I had a surplus of red chilis last year (both fresh and dried), so I tried making some spicy chili oil.

I just used olive oil, and it turned out pretty good, but not as spicy as I was hoping for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2011, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 31,730,271 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That sound awesome and I was wondering about straining after using herbs and garlic. As I just mentioned we did make them for favors at our granddaughters wedding, now I am looking for ideas different. I never though of just using garlic: sounds great.

has anyone tried lemon infused oil?

Nita
I've made lemon infused olive oil, I use just the very outermost rind.
I use a zester so I dont get any of the pith, which can make it very bitter.
If you have ever made limoncello, its the same rind kind of thing....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,968 posts, read 83,656,005 times
Reputation: 41778
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I've made lemon infused olive oil, I use just the very outermost rind.
I use a zester so I dont get any of the pith, which can make it very bitter.
If you have ever made limoncello, its the same rind kind of thing....
my mouth is watering. I think I will try that, also some made with peppers. I wonder what would happen if you tried dried tomatoes? Anyway, I will start thinking and by July or Aug I will be ready to put them in jars as well as vinegar. I have already started collecting jars. More wine is being packaged with screw tops and I do drink wine (so do friends and family) I will use those bottles.

I have onr more question, does anyone have any idea where I can get some pour spouts to just drizzle the oil onto whatever. I am sure one of you know what I am talking about.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 31,730,271 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
my mouth is watering. I think I will try that, also some made with peppers. I wonder what would happen if you tried dried tomatoes? Anyway, I will start thinking and by July or Aug I will be ready to put them in jars as well as vinegar. I have already started collecting jars. More wine is being packaged with screw tops and I do drink wine (so do friends and family) I will use those bottles.

I have onr more question, does anyone have any idea where I can get some pour spouts to just drizzle the oil onto whatever. I am sure one of you know what I am talking about.

Nita
I've done the dried tomato oil, its wonderful, love sun-dried tomatoes!
Anyplace that sells liquor will have the pour spouts you are looking for, they are technically called speed pourers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Destrehan, Louisiana
2,192 posts, read 6,227,017 times
Reputation: 3617
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
really? We used fresh when we did bottles for our granddaughters wedding (gave them as favors) and they were still good a few years later or appeared to be. That is very interesting and thanks for the hint.

Nita
You got lucky because you could have gotten tomaine poisoning.

busta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 09:28 PM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,093 posts, read 13,234,579 times
Reputation: 14870
The newest issue of Martha Stewart's Living magazine has a few pages on flavored oils.

(I don't buy it. It's a freebie )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2011, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,968 posts, read 83,656,005 times
Reputation: 41778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
The newest issue of Martha Stewart's Living magazine has a few pages on flavored oils.

(I don't buy it. It's a freebie )
DAmn, I can't stand her, but might be tempted to give it a shot.

thanks,

Nita

ps:wonder if it is on the internet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2011, 01:00 PM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,093 posts, read 13,234,579 times
Reputation: 14870
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

ps:wonder if it is on the internet?
GMTA

Not that I could find. I tried to find it on the web before posting about it, LOL. Found a link for Martha Stewart Living Magazine and all it did was pop me to HER website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2011, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,968 posts, read 83,656,005 times
Reputation: 41778
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I've done the dried tomato oil, its wonderful, love sun-dried tomatoes!
Anyplace that sells liquor will have the pour spouts you are looking for, they are technically called speed pourers.
thanks, isn't it amazing when we stay off politics we can acutally conmunicate. OK, only you will know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2011, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,968 posts, read 83,656,005 times
Reputation: 41778
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
You got lucky because you could have gotten tomaine poisoning.

busta
well I guess maybe, so I did do research on the subject today. I got some great recipes and answers: it seems like if you, 1-make sure the bottles are treated just like one does when canning and the oil is heated there are many herbs that can be used. It is just a little more work.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top