Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 07:00 AM

965 posts, read 1,884,510 times

Advertisements

I had yet another family get-together, I decided to make something unique and different this time and to outshine my cousin and her delicious Red Velvet Cake . I know this would be better for the fall, but I was out for war - sweet, delicious war .

I'm a busy woman and don't have time to make crust from scratch or boil and peel sweet potatoes, so I took a few shortcuts. While there is Ready-To-Make Cheesecake Filling (http://www.kraftbrands.com/philly/products/pages/philadelphiaready-to-eatcheesecakefilling.aspx - broken link), I find it to have an aftertaste and it doesn't taste as good as using cream cheese. I doctored up the cheesecake filling with real cream cheese, egg, and vanilla. I may as well bought another block of cream cheese and did that instead. I bought a box of mashed sweet potatoes at a grocery store. They are usually sold next to the mashed potatoes in the refrigerated section of the store. Not every grocery store sells them though I know Walmart sells it. I also bought ready-made graham cracker crust too.

Anyway, here is the recipe, enjoy!

1 Ready-Made Graham Cracker Crust
1 Box of Mashed Sweet Potatoes
1 tub of Philadelphia Ready-To-Eat Cheesecake Filling
1 8 oz Package of Cream Cheese
1 Cup of granulated sugar
3 Eggs
1 tsp Lemon extract
2 tsp Vanilla extract
1 tbsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Nutmeg

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees

Using a mixer, beat cheesecake filling and cream cheese on low speed. Gradually add sugar in and add one egg at a time. Add mashed sweet potatoes and keep beating mix on low speed. Stir in the vanilla and lemon extracts, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well until fully incorporated.

Pour mix into pie crust and bake for 45-hour. Remove from the oven and allow the pie to cool at room temperature for 30-60 minutes. Refrigerate the pie for 3-4 hours.

Some people garnish with a nut glaze or syrup, but I figure why do all that? (Besides, I have relatives with nut allergies, so I couldn't add pecans anyhow).

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 07:17 AM

2,104 posts, read 3,008,476 times
I'm drooling! I have to try it, never would have thought of it, thanks.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
I had yet another family get-together, I decided to make something unique and different this time and to outshine my cousin and her delicious Red Velvet Cake . I know this would be better for the fall, but I was out for war - sweet, delicious war .

I'm a busy woman and don't have time to make crust from scratch or boil and peel sweet potatoes, so I took a few shortcuts. While there is Ready-To-Make Cheesecake Filling (http://www.kraftbrands.com/philly/products/pages/philadelphiaready-to-eatcheesecakefilling.aspx - broken link), I find it to have an aftertaste and it doesn't taste as good as using cream cheese. I doctored up the cheesecake filling with real cream cheese, egg, and vanilla. I may as well bought another block of cream cheese and did that instead. I bought a box of mashed sweet potatoes at a grocery store. They are usually sold next to the mashed potatoes in the refrigerated section of the store. Not every grocery store sells them though I know Walmart sells it. I also bought ready-made graham cracker crust too.

Anyway, here is the recipe, enjoy!

1 Ready-Made Graham Cracker Crust
1 Box of Mashed Sweet Potatoes
1 tub of Philadelphia Ready-To-Eat Cheesecake Filling
1 8 oz Package of Cream Cheese
1 Cup of granulated sugar
3 Eggs
1 tsp Lemon extract
2 tsp Vanilla extract
1 tbsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Nutmeg

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees

Using a mixer, beat cheesecake filling and cream cheese on low speed. Gradually add sugar in and add one egg at a time. Add mashed sweet potatoes and keep beating mix on low speed. Stir in the vanilla and lemon extracts, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well until fully incorporated.

Pour mix into pie crust and bake for 45-hour. Remove from the oven and allow the pie to cool at room temperature for 30-60 minutes. Refrigerate the pie for 3-4 hours.

Some people garnish with a nut glaze or syrup, but I figure why do all that? (Besides, I have relatives with nut allergies, so I couldn't add pecans anyhow).

Enjoy!
wow, sounds great: I would never have thought of this but I have made pumpkin cheese cake, so this would be similar. Thanks.

Nita

Old 06-05-2011, 08:05 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,327 times
I don't often find recipes I'm excited about but this one qualifies! I must admit, I'm not much of a boxed food person. (I don't even own a microwave!) I enjoy cooking from scratch. Do you think freshly mashed sweet potatoes would work or would the consistency be too thick?

I love to bake but I don't care for cakes, pies and pastries very much. Cheesecake, on the other hand, is a whole other story! Thanks for the recipe! (Red Velvet Cake has freaked me out ever since I saw the Bleeding Armadillo Cake in Steel Magnolias. It was my first exposure to red velvet cake and I'll never try it because of that movie!)

Old 06-08-2011, 06:47 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
I've been making sweet potato cheesecake for years, really, really yummy stuff!

Old 06-08-2011, 06:55 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,649,327 times
I've made sweet potato pies, sweet potato casseroles, sweet potato fries, mashed sweet potatoes (with vanilla), and regular, classic baked sweet potatoes. Never a cheesecake. Maybe I can try it out on my new $650 Tortilla Warmer?! LOL

Old 06-08-2011, 06:57 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I've made sweet potato pies, sweet potato casseroles, sweet potato fries, mashed sweet potatoes (with vanilla), and regular, classic baked sweet potatoes. Never a cheesecake. Maybe I can try it out on my new $650 Tortilla Warmer?! LOL
Should be easy with your fancy warmer gadget!
BTW, real red velvet cake is simply divine!!!!!
ETA: fresh sweet potatoes would work just fine, I make my cheesecake totally from scratch, never have had any problems!

Old 06-11-2011, 04:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,107 times
Default Thanks for this recipe

Love this recipe..It was delicious..Sweet Potato Cheesecake is really very easy to make cake..
I also wanna try it by myself....

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes