Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2011, 12:03 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times

Advertisements

What I've got:

a 2 pound Beef Brisket--bought it yesterday--

A "Mesquite" Marinade for Beef (Sold by "Jack Daniels")

a new shaker bottle of "Beef Rub" for BBQ

HD Alum Foil

A bottle of High Quality Cooking Oil--if needed.

Various other seasonings (all kinds)

A new Bottle of BBQ sauce.

Please advise your recommended ways of doing this on the BBQ (or also using the house Oven for partial cooking, if that is an option).

I'd like to end up with a "moist Brisket" with some degree of "Crust" on the outside if possible.

Intend to use a "gas fired Weber BBQ Unit"

Please give "length of cooking time, as well as temps etc.

Thanks for any and all info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 07:13 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Briskets are best when cooked/smoked in a smoker. 12 hours at 125 degrees is how long we do ours in a smoker.

I don't know that this will work but you can try: Turn only half of your burners on the grill on the lowest possible setting. If you have them, put some pieces of mesquite wood on the burners that are lit. Place your brisket on the non heated side (you should have pre-marinated it with rubs and not placed it in foil. Foil is for use in the oven, not on the grill). Use a meat thermometer to find out when it is done.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Briskets are best when cooked/smoked in a smoker. 12 hours at 125 degrees is how long we do ours in a smoker.

I don't know that this will work but you can try: Turn only half of your burners on the grill on the lowest possible setting. If you have them, put some pieces of mesquite wood on the burners that are lit. Place your brisket on the non heated side (you should have pre-marinated it with rubs and not placed it in foil. Foil is for use in the oven, not on the grill). Use a meat thermometer to find out when it is done.
we try to do about the same but I am not sure a 2 lb one would work the old fashion slow cooking way. I hope someone else can help the op. It must be a totally trimmed brisket which will probably cook quite a bit faster, slow is right. You can not cook briskett fast, it will dry out.

Nita

Old 05-29-2011, 07:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
For one that small, I's suggest wrapping in foil and baking in the oven for
3 hours at 300F. Then let rest 15 minutes, while heating up the grill, and
then give it 5 minutes to a side on high heat to get that crust. Slice diagonally and serve with the BBQ sauce.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:08 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times
I do ours for 2-3 hours, in a pan in a 300F oven covered. Over it I pour a mixture of 1 can of beer, 1 jar of Chili sauce and 3/4c of brown sugar. Then I remove it. At that point, I either slice it and set it back in the sauce and bake for an additional 20 minutes, uncovered in the sauce, or I guess you could set it on the grill to crust it up.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:01 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
What I've got:

a 2 pound Beef Brisket--bought it yesterday--

A "Mesquite" Marinade for Beef (Sold by "Jack Daniels")

a new shaker bottle of "Beef Rub" for BBQ

HD Alum Foil

A bottle of High Quality Cooking Oil--if needed.

Various other seasonings (all kinds)

A new Bottle of BBQ sauce.

Please advise your recommended ways of doing this on the BBQ (or also using the house Oven for partial cooking, if that is an option).

I'd like to end up with a "moist Brisket" with some degree of "Crust" on the outside if possible.

Intend to use a "gas fired Weber BBQ Unit"

Please give "length of cooking time, as well as temps etc.

Thanks for any and all info.
]
I hope Im not to late, but what you got...here how I would do.

cooking time for 2lbs, 4 hours.
prep- rub dry rub liberly on meat.
pre-heat gill on high for at least 30 min to get grill nice and hot.
then shut on side of grill to low, other on high, place meat directly onto cool side of girll, close lid cook for 30 mins, flip and go another 30.

now it time to gauge how hot your grill temp is, your meat should be taking on some good color...red/brown tones.

if not...then increase temp on cool side to medium heat and turn meat every 15 min for 1 hour more or untill your meat looks dark and cooked on the outside.

if your meat has good color then you can keep the temp as is.
remove themeat and wrap it in doubled or tripple thickness of heavy duty al foil. place back on meduim side and continue the 15 min flip for the third hour.

4th hour, remove meat, open foil cuting along the top...lower the medium side to low. leave the meat in foil packet and baste with sauce, flipping in foil every 20-30 mins keeps meat moist. trim off end to check for softness.

remove and allow to rest, then thinly slice against the grain.

for drier crusty-er meat remove from foil and allow to cook on grill, medium side with no sauce, flipping every 15 min for lat hour...remove when meat is crusty

allow to rest, slice against the grain and serve with suace on the side.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:38 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
]
I hope Im not to late, but what you got...here how I would do.

cooking time for 2lbs, 4 hours.
prep- rub dry rub liberly on meat.
pre-heat gill on high for at least 30 min to get grill nice and hot.
then shut on side of grill to low, other on high, place meat directly onto cool side of girll, close lid cook for 30 mins, flip and go another 30.

now it time to gauge how hot your grill temp is, your meat should be taking on some good color...red/brown tones.

if not...then increase temp on cool side to medium heat and turn meat every 15 min for 1 hour more or untill your meat looks dark and cooked on the outside.

if your meat has good color then you can keep the temp as is.
remove themeat and wrap it in doubled or tripple thickness of heavy duty al foil. place back on meduim side and continue the 15 min flip for the third hour.

4th hour, remove meat, open foil cuting along the top...lower the medium side to low. leave the meat in foil packet and baste with sauce, flipping in foil every 20-30 mins keeps meat moist. trim off end to check for softness.

remove and allow to rest, then thinly slice against the grain.

for drier crusty-er meat remove from foil and allow to cook on grill, medium side with no sauce, flipping every 15 min for lat hour...remove when meat is crusty

allow to rest, slice against the grain and serve with suace on the side.
Thanks................Sounds like a very good way to "get 'er done". Will definitely give it a try>

I know I'll never be able to duplicat the BBQ Brisket from: "LUM'S BBQ" in Junction Ciy, TX. Great place...good people & fantastic BBQ>

Old 05-31-2011, 08:38 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Thanks................Sounds like a very good way to "get 'er done". Will definitely give it a try>

I know I'll never be able to duplicat the BBQ Brisket from: "LUM'S BBQ" in Junction Ciy, TX. Great place...good people & fantastic BBQ>
If you want to get pit-like brisket, then leave on cool side longer...dont wrap in foil and cook for at least 6 hours. some wrap the cooled down brisket in plastic food wrap, then foil and continue to cook in low heat for a couple of hours more.

can cool in wrap, keep in fridge, then remove, slice and re-heat brisket the next day for party...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes