Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 05:34 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,334,615 times

Advertisements

I'm making a peach cobbler for Father's Day. I have never made it before. If I make it tonight, will it be too mushy tomorrow? I would really prefer to have it done before tomorrow, but not if it will compromise the quality when we eat it. Thnx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 06:47 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,052,635 times
It should be just fine. Cobbler isn't really suppose to be super crispy, but it shouldn't get soggy over night, just be sure to let it cool before covering it.

I would put it back in the oven to re-warm it tomorrow before eating and then the ice cream will melt just perfectly.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:57 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,955,448 times
Default Make ahead dinner recipes

Hi everyone! I am looking for healthy recipes that I can make ahead and just throw in the oven when I'm ready. Ideas for meals I can freeze and cook later are welcome too! With school, work, and sports schedules I'm looking at a lot of evenings where we may not get home until after 7 and I'd like to have something ready to just heat up.

We are not really tex-mex kind of people - and I have found that a lot of the recipes on line are in that family. I know I can make pasta dishes ahead, but they take a long time to heat up in the oven - and I'd like to see if there are healthier ideas too.

I appreciate any ideas you may have to share!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:27 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,455,675 times
Penne pasta and bow ties heat up well and very fast in the microwave. Add a little water (or milk if its a cream sauce) and cover with saran wrap.

Turkey and gravy heat up easily on a dinner plate in the microwave.

Meatloaf heats up well, same for pork chops.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:41 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,288,290 times
Not a tex-mex person either. Unfortunately I find most of the heathy things to eat, though easy and quick are in the more immediately made and more close to raw state. Salads/antipasto, broiled fish or stir fries.
The cooking is fast, but the prep is what takes the most time.
You could make/ boil shrimp, hard boiled eggs and either freeze-the shrimp, fridge the eggs ahead of time.

For stir fries & or salads, you could cut up whole packages of carrots, mushrooms, scallions, cucs, lettuces, napa cabbage, celery etc. ahead of time and place each in airtight containers to grab the handful or two for each dish. Tomatoes I would wait til you need them.

You could pre-make a turkey breast or whole chicken, slice or cube, boil carcasse for soups and freeze for additions-veggies, noodles to be added when ready to use.

A pork butt, or loin, chicken breasts can be made and shredded and frozen, later BBQ sauce added for BBQ sandwiches.
Wings can be made and frozen the same way for sauce of your choice to be brushed on and just baked to warm meat & sauce later, like buffalo wings or terryaki wings.

You can pre-boil potatoes in skins to be used later for twice baked, fries/fried, potato salad, latkes.

As Wilson said, all kinds of meatloaf ideas with beef, turkey, pork and different adds to the mix. Pre-slice and individually wrap for quicker thawing.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:41 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,005,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
pork butt
I must interrupt your originally scheduled thread, Nic, just to say:

The words pork butt make me laugh every single time I read them.

We now rejoin your scheduled thread. Sorry for the interruption and the off-topicness (new word! yay!).

Old 09-01-2011, 11:13 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,669,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I must interrupt your originally scheduled thread, Nic, just to say:

The words pork butt make me laugh every single time I read them.

We now rejoin your scheduled thread. Sorry for the interruption and the off-topicness (new word! yay!).
Your a Naughty one arent you.

Pre-cooked Lasagna cut into individual servings. Then just heat in microwave. Honestly most precooked Pasta and Meat dishes will work just as well.

Too bad you dont like Mexican Dishes there are about a hundred of them that would fit your request.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:27 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,955,448 times
Thank you all for your suggestions! I appreciate the input.

Dawn - you make me laugh! Now every time hear pork butt I'll think of you

Old 09-01-2011, 11:32 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,005,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Your a Naughty one arent you.

Just to confirm:

It makes me think of a pig's bum.
It does NOT make me think of someone getting porked in the butt.

(I didn't just write that, did I?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
Dawn - you make me laugh! Now every time hear pork butt I'll think of you
Awwww! I love that! LOL!

Old 09-01-2011, 11:32 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,288,290 times
Your welcome. Anything do-able for you? Not knowing if you're a big meat-eater family, which I am, (and am not a cassarole family either) makes choices to suggest a bit in the dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes