U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 05:40 PM

20,517 posts, read 26,316,365 times

Advertisements

Here goes:

Squash Casserole

6+ cups summer squash and zucchini cut into 3/4 inch slices
boiling water
1 medium onion chopped
2 TB. minced parsley
1/8 ts. thyme
1/2 ts. salt
Mornay Sauce(see below)
1 TB. butter
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs

Bring water to rapid boil. Add onion, parsley, thyme, salt, and squash. Cook 12 minutes, until tender. Drain.

Place into a 1 1/2 qt casserole. Pour Mornay sauce over the top and mix lightly.

Combine butter and crumbs. Sprinkle over squash.

Bake 325 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until browned.

Mornay Sauce-
(use medium sized pan..not small)

1 chicken bullion cube
3/4 cup boiling water
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
3/4 light cream
1/2 cup grated parm cheese
1/2 grated swiss cheese

Dissolve chicken cube in boiling water. Melt butter in saucepan. Blend flour and butter. Add cream and bullion. Cook in microwave, stirring occasionally until thickened. Blend in grated cheeses. Stir until smooth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 06:16 PM

3,229 posts, read 4,190,998 times
ONION, SQUASH, & TOMATO STEAM POT

Into a deep Steamer Tray, layer sliced Squash, then sliced Onion, then sliced Tomato. Between layers, sprinkle Matzo Meal, Toasted Breadcrumbs, or Rolled Oats. Also between layers, sprinkle Salt, and Grind on a bit of your favorite Pepper Blend.

Then, just steam until it's done. I usually just spoon it directly onto the plates from the Steamer Tray, and add Olive Oil as I'm plating.

The Onion, of course, should be sliced before anything else happens. This allows the special Onion chemicals to oxidize and stabilize, so that the flavor and nutrition will better survive cooking.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:12 PM

16,227 posts, read 22,547,016 times
Hooray!! Thanks so much!

Old 06-25-2011, 08:00 PM

4,724 posts, read 6,116,041 times
Make some squash pickle. It is kind of like a bread & butter except with squash.

You can google the recipe and they are easy to make.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:29 AM

71,717 posts, read 83,316,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Make some squash pickle. It is kind of like a bread & butter except with squash.

You can google the recipe and they are easy to make.
We are not crazy over the squash pickles but make awesome squash relish.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:44 AM

8,578 posts, read 5,952,272 times
These all sound so good! Mine's pretty simple. I guess you could almost say it's plain compared to some of these others. For what it's worth, here it is.

1 medium zucchini, sliced
2 medium yellow squash or one large - however much you want to use
1 medium onion, sliced
3 tbsp margarine
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp pepper

In large skillet over medium-high heat melt the margarine. Add the onion, cook 2-3 mins or until softened. Add squashes and spices. Cook until crisp-tender. If you like your squash softer, just cook it for a little longer.

Enjoy.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:33 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,907,096 times
How about stuffed? There's a Middle Eastern recipe for stuffed zucchini with rice and meat inside. I admit I did not get around to making it, but it looks delicious. It is probably possible to make it with yellow squash instead of zucchini. The dish is originally from Egypt, but is eaten all around the Middle East.

Here are a couple of variations of the recipe:
Grace Abad: KOUSA MIHSHI
Kousa Mahshi
Egyptian Stuffed Vegetables Mashi) Recipe - Food.com - 109182
Middle Eastern Stuffed Squash | A Recipe from Nily - efoodi
Middle Eastern Kousa Mahshi Recipe

It looks like a zucchini corer might come in handy to take out the middle of the squash.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:07 PM

71,717 posts, read 83,316,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
How about stuffed? There's a Middle Eastern recipe for stuffed zucchini with rice and meat inside. I admit I did not get around to making it, but it looks delicious. It is probably possible to make it with yellow squash instead of zucchini. The dish is originally from Egypt, but is eaten all around the Middle East.

Here are a couple of variations of the recipe:
Grace Abad: KOUSA MIHSHI
Kousa Mahshi
Egyptian Stuffed Vegetables Mashi) Recipe - Food.com - 109182
Middle Eastern Stuffed Squash | A Recipe from Nily - efoodi
Middle Eastern Kousa Mahshi Recipe

It looks like a zucchini corer might come in handy to take out the middle of the squash.
usually stuffed squash is made from Zucchini because yellow squash doesn't bet large enough. If it does it would have no flavor. I have been making stuffed Zucchini for years. It is basically the same as a stuffed bell pepper.

NIta

Old 07-09-2011, 07:36 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,506,126 times
I like to slice it in half the long way, skewer them, and spray with olive oil Pam. Then, I top with cracked pepper and a italian seasonings. Put on the grill and turn once, until tender. Easy Peasy!!! There is also a lemon seasoning in the seasoning aisle I like to sprinkle on them sometimes.

You can do them in the oven as well.

I love sliced summer squash steamed til just tender, then add butter to melt on top, and cracked pepper. Sublime.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:01 PM

21,956 posts, read 21,449,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
I like to slice it in half the long way, skewer them, and spray with olive oil Pam. Then, I top with cracked pepper and a italian seasonings. Put on the grill and turn once, until tender. Easy Peasy!!! There is also a lemon seasoning in the seasoning aisle I like to sprinkle on them sometimes.

You can do them in the oven as well.

I love sliced summer squash steamed til just tender, then add butter to melt on top, and cracked pepper. Sublime.
Yes, this is my all time favorite way to cook summer squash but I also add a couple tablespoons, or just to taste, of your favorite salsa just before serving. It adds just enough spices to bring out the good flavors of the squash! Yummy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes