Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 09:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I put a little soy sauce on my filets and sometimes some spray oil if it's a drier fleshed fish, but yeah, toaster oven + fish filets ='s a WIN that won't heat up your kitchen for a few minutes of cook time.
I just cooked them a few days ago, using a maranade of soy sause, a little honey and a little vinegar and oil. I used my new griddle/grill; absolutely the best I have ever made...I even grilled some veggies at the same time. This was easier than heating up the kitchen, like you said and certainly better than dirtying the outdoor grill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I rub olive oil, put salt, dill and lemon juice and either grill it outside or inside using a fry pan. Since my husband likes it rare I only cook it 2 1/2 minutes each side.
wow, 2.5 minutes per side, it must not have been very thick. The salmon I got at Sams a week ago was really think, almost like Salmon steaks and even though we do not like our fish overdone, 5 min total would not have been enough time. I cooked mine a little longer, I think it does depend on the thickness. When we buy a big piece the ends are thiner and would cook in 5 minutes...

Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, 2.5 minutes per side, it must not have been very thick. The salmon I got at Sams a week ago was really think, almost like Salmon steaks and even though we do not like our fish overdone, 5 min total would not have been enough time. I cooked mine a little longer, I think it does depend on the thickness. When we buy a big piece the ends are thiner and would cook in 5 minutes...
It was thick, but hubby likes his slightly cooked on the edges and rare in the middle, he does not eat salmon cooked all the way through.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
It was thick, but hubby likes his slightly cooked on the edges and rare in the middle, he does not eat salmon cooked all the way through.
wow, I guess everyone has his/her way of eating and I am sure it won't hurt him. Is he a suchi lover as well. We love our beef really rare and I think people ruin fish too often by overcooking, but he sounds like he really wouldn't want to eat Salmon at very many places cause 5 min just isn't very long at all..Remind me how he likes it if you come to our house for dinner.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:34 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, I guess everyone has his/her way of eating and I am sure it won't hurt him. Is he a suchi lover as well. We love our beef really rare and I think people ruin fish too often by overcooking, but he sounds like he really wouldn't want to eat Salmon at very many places cause 5 min just isn't very long at all..Remind me how he likes it if you come to our house for dinner.
Yes he loves sushi/sashimi but not me.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:38 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I sometimes make a sauce with mayonnaise, a squeeze of lemon juice and a tsp of tarragon. Spread it on the fish and bake or broil.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:33 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
I have made it with sweet onion dressing and then another way is with honey mustard. Both brushed on lightly.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:31 AM

for us it would have to be spread on very lightly: we are not crazy over any type of sweet cooking, but a little honey or other sweet based spreads can add a certain flavor and cut the acidity from lemon juice or vinegar. I think how we cook meat is a matter of how we were raised..spoiled brat never even had fish growing up: I was raised eating it weekly. Dad did a lot of fishing or we would go to the frest fish marklet. Mostly we had our fish grilled or baked. Spoiled brat thought fish meant canned tuna...He also grew up in home where sweets were part of every mean and almost every dish had some sugar added. I grew up in a family that probably didn't use 5 lbs of sugar a year unless it was canning season.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:02 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,352,667 times
Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with Paul Prudhomme's Salmon Seasoning spice blend, available in most spice sections at the grocery store. The stuff is AMAZING, especially since it isn't overly salty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes