Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 11:06 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Are you sure your mom floured the pan?
Absolutely. Watched her do it a zillion times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 12:36 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,858 times
You say both you and her use lard to grease the pan, and then lightly flour?

She probably went a little heavier on the greasing of the pan than you are. Try using a little more the next time. Also, just a faint sprinkling of sugar before pouring batter in should help give you a little more crunch.

If it's too sweet with that extra sugar, just minus that amount from the cake batter when mixing.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post

She probably went a little heavier on the greasing of the pan than you are. Try using a little more the next time. Also, just a faint sprinkling of sugar before pouring batter in should help give you a little more crunch.

If it's too sweet with that extra sugar, just minus that amount from the cake batter when mixing.
Neither of us used lard. Just solid Crisco shortening. And I do use a heavy hand when applying it.

I am having guests for dinner on Sunday. I plan to try the cold oven start and see what happens.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:53 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,546 times
Good Luck!!

Old 08-17-2011, 11:31 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Maybe it's Mom's oven that wasn't calibrated.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Maybe it's Mom's oven that wasn't calibrated.
It's possible, but I don't think so. At least one oven was brand new when they moved into the house.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:15 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,269,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post

i forgot about this tecnique. I bet this will work. I've made several recipes using the granulated sugar instead of flour. It made the cakes crunchier.

Try it. I bet this works.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:12 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,284 times
Two things come to mind... a bit wonky, I know. I do realize it's more an explanation rather than a solution.

Firstly, my grandma made the best friend fish & onions for me as a kid. I had her cast iron pan, did the same thing, it was never quite the same. I think the secret was grandma putting so much love into making fish for me. I was a sickly kid with chronic anemia... she wanted to make me feel better.

Also, ingredients aren't the same as when we were kids. GM foods, etc. Perhaps Crisco is made with a different oil than the Crisco I remember in the 60s? I see many things made with cotton/soy/safflower oils now. Those weren't used way back when. GM wheat changes the flour, etc., also. So it may be nothing you're doing "wrong"... it's that the ingredients aren't the same.

Seriously, next time you want to make your cake, ask mum to assist with a crunchy crust. Yes, I know, I'm metaphysically annoying, but, it just might work. Feel free to shun, mock & ban me.

Good luck!

Old 08-25-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Two things come to mind... a bit wonky, I know. I do realize it's more an explanation rather than a solution.

Firstly, my grandma made the best friend fish & onions for me as a kid. I had her cast iron pan, did the same thing, it was never quite the same. I think the secret was grandma putting so much love into making fish for me. I was a sickly kid with chronic anemia... she wanted to make me feel better.

Also, ingredients aren't the same as when we were kids. GM foods, etc. Perhaps Crisco is made with a different oil than the Crisco I remember in the 60s? I see many things made with cotton/soy/safflower oils now. Those weren't used way back when. GM wheat changes the flour, etc., also. So it may be nothing you're doing "wrong"... it's that the ingredients aren't the same.

Seriously, next time you want to make your cake, ask mum to assist with a crunchy crust. Yes, I know, I'm metaphysically annoying, but, it just might work. Feel free to shun, mock & ban me.

Good luck!
Oh Pat, I so wish she were here to ask! She has been gone for several years now. Even before she died, we could not figure out what I am doing --- or not doing!

I had not thought about the products being reformulated, but the mystery started long ago, and I am sure we were using the same formulations of the margarine and shortening at that time.

I did a little research on margarine. Its history is fascinating, since the dairy farmers did all they could to try to block the competition it represented. The one I use, Blue Bonnet, does contain soy oil, but it has done so for many years.

Crisco Shortening (the sticks) contains soybean oil and palm oil.

I have been using house brand sugar. I need to try Domino's again, I guess.

I really have not bought into the GMO altering the nutritional aspect of foods. My GMO concern is what will happen if the GMO genes end up in the wild.

Thanks for the thought provoking comment!

Old 08-25-2011, 10:27 AM

Default Well, I tried the cold oven ...

... and I got a little more crunch. But it's still not all the way there.

PatanjaliTwist's last comment got me thinking. I have looked at some other boards and found some info that might help.

Thanks to you all! I will let you know what I do next time and we will see how it comes out.

I am starting with a new, heavier tube pan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes