Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 06:41 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,723,631 times

Advertisements

Maybe there are some great recipies out there that you have personally "WOWED" your friends or relatives with. Would you be willing to share your secret ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 08:24 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
In lieu of a recipe.....to make eggplant parm without it being soft/mushy:

dip slices in egg, coat in wheat germ & parmesan....then bake on oiled pan at 400 or so, turning every 10 min until browned on each side. Let cool... then prepare rest of dish with sauce & cheeses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Maybe there are some great recipies out there that you have personally "WOWED" your friends or relatives with. Would you be willing to share your secret ?

Old 08-22-2011, 08:12 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,723,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
In lieu of a recipe.....to make eggplant parm without it being soft/mushy:

dip slices in egg, coat in wheat germ & parmesan....then bake on oiled pan at 400 or so, turning every 10 min until browned on each side. Let cool... then prepare rest of dish with sauce & cheeses.
Thanks Blue. I hate the mushy kind. Will try it.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:20 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,178 times
I too wish to find the ultimate eggplant parmesan recipe. I just recently discovered that I actually like eggplant.

Something that doesn't involve mayonnaise or too much seasoning that overpowers the eggplant...

???

Old 08-23-2011, 06:55 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,023,953 times
I usually don't like chain restaurants, but Maggiano's makes the best eggplant parm I've ever had!

Old 08-28-2011, 06:43 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
I've posted this before, I think, but my recipe is made without frying the eggplant. it's easy and lower cal. You can't taste the mayo, it just provides a bit of fat to brown the eggplant.

1 eggplant, sliced in 3/4" slices
regular mayonnaise
Mix together equal parts:gratedparmesan and italian bread crumbs
1 jar spaghetti sauce
mozarrella or provalone

Spread both sides of eggplant slices thinly with mayonnaise. Coat with half crumbs and half parmesan mixture.
Place on baking sheet and bake at 375 for about 20 minutes, until tender and golden brown.
Turn off oven. Pour sauce over and sprinkle with mozzarella. Allow to sit in warn oven until hot and cheese is melted.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Mine is the only one I know of that does NOT involve breading or frying the eggplant.

It involves slicing the eggplant thinly, salting it, and letting it sit to "sweat" for about 30 minutes. Then rinse, pat dry, and oven roast it on a cookie sheet.

In a casserole, layer sliced fresh tomatoes, shredded parmesan, roasted eggplant slices, more shredded parmesan, fresh basil leaves and any other Italian herbs, plenty of minced garlic. Keep layering until out of tomatoes and eggplant, and top with mozzarella. Bake at 375 until cheese is melty and bubbly, then serve on a bed of angel hair. Serve with a simple salad of greens and balsamic vinaigrette, and garlic toast.

Fresh, delicious, full of eggplant flavor, and not as heavy/greasy.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:34 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Mine is the only one I know of that does NOT involve breading or frying the eggplant.

It involves slicing the eggplant thinly, salting it, and letting it sit to "sweat" for about 30 minutes. Then rinse, pat dry, and oven roast it on a cookie sheet.

In a casserole, layer sliced fresh tomatoes, shredded parmesan, roasted eggplant slices, more shredded parmesan, fresh basil leaves and any other Italian herbs, plenty of minced garlic. Keep layering until out of tomatoes and eggplant, and top with mozzarella. Bake at 375 until cheese is melty and bubbly, then serve on a bed of angel hair. Serve with a simple salad of greens and balsamic vinaigrette, and garlic toast.

Fresh, delicious, full of eggplant flavor, and not as heavy/greasy.
This sounds fabulous. I have done similar by substituting eggplant for zucchini in a zucchini casserole, and also eggplant for the noodles in lasagna. However, these are nothing like eggplant parmesan.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
It's great! And it doesn't give me acid reflux like traditional eggplant parm with the breading/frying step does. I love fried foods, but they're no longer worth the pain. With this recipe, I have all the flavors, minus the oil.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:42 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,289,721 times
I don't think I've ever heard of mayo & eggplant parm used in the same sentence!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes