Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2011, 09:01 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times

Advertisements

This year, the two-day Jewish Biblical Festival of Rosh ha Shannah (Lev. 23:23-25) will begin at sundown on Wednesday, September 28 on the civil calendar.

The following recipe for Sweet New Year Brisket was obtained at judaism.about.com:

Here's what you will need:

5 to 7 lb. brisket, washed and drained
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 to 1/2 cup Coca-Colaâ„¢
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup honey
4 to 5 Tbsp. ketchup
1 onion
1/2 tsp. mustard powder
1/2 tsp. paprika

You will also need:
Large covered container to marinate brisket
Food processor to blend ingredients
Aluminum foil
Saucepan
Serving platter
Carving knife

Here's what you need to do:

1. Place washed and drained brisket in covered container large enough to hold brisket in refrigerator.

2. Blend all remaining ingredients in food processor and pour over the brisket.

3. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.

4. Cook at 350 degrees Fahrenheit, loosely covered with aluminum foil, until done, approximately 4 to 5 hours.

5. When cool, pour the gravy into a saucepan.

6. Add 1 Tbsp. flour to the gravy and cook until thickens.

7. Pour this gravy over sliced meat when serving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 11:42 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,313,683 times
The best brisket I ever ate outside of Texas BBQ was made by a boss I had when I was very young and working in Pittsburgh. I asked her for her recipe and she told me all she did was put a seasoned brisket in a Dutch oven, pour a can of beer over it and then cover it with an entire bottle of Heinz ketchup. She said to add more beer if the pan got dry. I've been making it that way ever since, trying in the oven, on top of the stove at very low heat when my oven didn't work, and in a slow cooker. It worked each and every way. I think it would be great in sandwiches, but I've never had any leftover to try. Guests scarf it up like nothing I've ever served. I'm going to give your recipe a shot -- I'm always willing to try something new.

People: never put brisket on a buffet -- it will be gone in two minutes flat and half the guests will never know it was there. I learned that lesson the hard way.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:56 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times
I assume that you pour a bit of the fat off that before making gravy out of it. A 5-7 lb brisket will have a cup of fat.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:10 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I assume that you pour a bit of the fat off that before making gravy out of it. A 5-7 lb brisket will have a cup of fat.
Personal taste.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:16 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,133,170 times
Or, for brisket for Rosh Hashana, you can do as my family does - no need for an addition like coca cola. Put brisket, *lots* of chopped onions, salt and pepper in a roasting pan. Roast in oven at 325º until the brisket is tender (or falling apart, as many prefer). Absolutely simple, and delicious. A warning - there's really no way to predict how long it will take - every brisket is different!

If you want to get fancy, you can cut up some potatoes and add them to the pan about an hour before you think the brisket wil be done. Even more delicious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes