U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 09:13 AM

2,275 posts, read 5,656,598 times

Advertisements

I'm always happy to share! If there's any other recipes you'd like, just shout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 09:37 AM

3,927 posts, read 7,872,284 times
Oh don't say that......I'm always on the lookout for a great recipe. Being Southern, we cook all the time and my dh expects it and loves it when I have new recipes to try out on him. So, fire away, you have found my secret passion...

Old 08-22-2007, 10:30 AM

What kinds of dishes do you like - chicken, beef, Italian, Mexican, etc.?

Old 08-22-2007, 12:38 PM

We love Mexican, chicken, Italian, Mediterranean, Thai, beef, pork, you name it, he loves it.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:09 PM

Thai Cashew Chicken is one of my husband's favorite dishes. It's very quickly and easily done in a wok. In fact, it's so quick, you should do all the chopping and measuring in advance. We tweaked this recipe many times until we got it just the way we like it.

This recipe makes a LOT - which means plenty for leftovers. We do this on purpose. You can cut the recipe in half (I'd just leave out the chicken stock altogether and use the same amount of peanut oil).

It's also pretty spicy. If you'd like it milder, reduce or leave out the dried chilies and chili paste.

Chicken with Cashew Nut
(Gai Pad Met Ma-Muang Himmaphan)

cup peanut oil
cup chicken stock
4 garlic cloves
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces
4 tbs fish sauce
4 tbs oyster sauce
4 tbs honey
tsp white pepper
5 dried red chilies (broken in half)
tsp red curry paste or panang curry paste
1 onion, sliced (I cut slices into quarters)
5 green onions, chopped
1 to 2 cups roasted, unsalted cashews

Jasmine rice, cooked (to be served with the cashew chicken)

Heat a wok or large skillet on medium-high to high heat.

Add oil, chicken stock, and everything except green onions and cashews (and rice).

Stir fry until chicken is cooked thoroughly. (If you prefer a thicker sauce, you can thicken with a corn starch and water mixture.)

Reduce heat, mix in the cashews and green onions, and heat for another minute or two. Serve over jasmine rice.

Important: Remove red chilies before eating. They're fiery hot if bitten into!

Old 08-22-2007, 02:48 PM

oh man, how did you read my mind, chicken is on the menu for this week, and now I will fix this. thank you much...

Old 08-22-2007, 02:56 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,912,366 times
I don't cook my spaghetti or pizza sauce....I do teach cooking though and during the last class I taught a few weeks ago I made two sauces using the same recipe - one cooked and one not cooked...I then conducted a tasting test and all 22 people in attendance preferred the uncooked sauce...I use this sauce on pizza and on pasta and it tastes fresh as a summer day. You must use San Marzano tomatoes - American canned tomatoes will not work. I buy San Marzano tomatoes at my local Italian Deli/Supermarket

3 large cans San Marzano tomatoes (drained well - reserving puree)
4 to 6 cloves of garlic
1 bunch fresh oregano
1 large bunch fresh basil
1/2 cup Italian parsley
1/2 to 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Blend all ingredients until smooth in food processor adjusting herbs and salt/pepper to taste - adding more garlic if desired. If the sauce is too thick, add some of the wonderful puree that the San Marzano tomatoes are packed in.

Mix some of the sauce in with the warm pasta - spoon some of the remaining sauce over the pasta garnished with freshly grated Parmesano Reggiano, toasted pine nuts and pan fried diced prosciutto (sometimes I use crumbled goat cheese instead of the fresh parmesan).

Last edited by Cattknap; 08-22-2007 at 03:19 PM..

Old 08-22-2007, 06:30 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,771,086 times
I simmer my spaghetti sauce for about 3 hrs., very low simmer. I find tht when it heats too high, it clouds the sauce...I have a pet peeve about keeping my sauce and soup translucent.
Yes, I do have the choper sold by Pampered Chef...I'm sure others make a choper too. It is especially good for getting a little tension out...I could have chopped 10 bags of onions the other day!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:04 PM

58,040 posts, read 40,789,361 times
Shamelessly taken from an Italian motorcycle site, supplied by an Italian living on Sardinia and personally tested and approved by me

PASTA ALLA BOLOGNESE

For 4 people you will need:
1/2 kg of pasta (thick spaghetti, size 5 or bigger, or better still, tagliatelle all'uovo)
250 grams of minced meat (beef, pork, or mixed)
a tube of concentrated tomato paste
one small onion
two carrots
one celery
garlic
olive oil
butter or lard
a glass of a tasty good red wine (it doesn't have to be italian wine) (sure it does - Rene)
a cup of meat stock
salt & pepper
Parmisan cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano) (it really is better and worth finding - Rene)
a medium size saucepan
large pot to boil the water
a colander and a saucer big enough to hold the whole stuff

Many ingredients are not mandatory and you can substitute and or eliminate them to suit your taste and availability of ingredients. (But don't... this is so good exactly this way don't change a thing - Rene)

Note: The pot must hold at least 5 lt of water, the more the better: the pasta must move freely as the water boils, otherwise it will stick.

1) Make the sauce:
Cut in small pieces approx. equal quantities of onion, carrots and celery, and some garlic to taste. Put them to fry gently (low fire) in the saucepan, with a mixture of oil, butter and lard matched according to your taste. The vegetables must dip in the oil mixture, but they mustn't SWIM into it, so don't exaggerate. If you use only olive oil, 1/2 glass of it will do. Add salt to taste.

The vegetables must fry until the onions have a golden hue. They must not become brownish. At this point add the minced meat and put the fire a little up. Let the water evaporate from the meat, mixing with a wooden spoon from time to time. Add the wine and let it evaporate. Add the stock and 1 or 2 tablespoons of tomato paste and let the water evaporate again, until the sauce gets the correct consistence to serve the pasta. Only experience will tell you when the sauce has the right consistence: neither too watery nor too thick. Remember: it must stick to the pasta and not sit on top of it or drip all to the bottom of the saucer!

Now the Bolognese sauce is ready. Put half of it in the saucer with some grated Parmisan cheese, and start cooking the pasta.

Note: Some people prefer to use peeled tomatoes in place of the tomato paste. This makes the Bolognese sauce very red in colour and a bit more sour in flavor. I think it gets too much like tomato sauce, which is a different thing. Other variants imply the use of flavorings such as parsley.

2) Make the pasta
Now you can boil the pasta. The pasta MUST be made of durum wheat. I wouldn't like to name any brand so skip this line if you think, but De Cecco and Voiello are really better than most other brands. Avoid quick cooking pasta, just as you would avoid Cheng Shin rubber on your 996. The portions are between 100 and 200 grams of pasta per person, so usually a 1/2 kg pack is enough for four, unless you're very hungry (or the pasta is very good).

Salt the water in the pot. Whether the salt must be put BEFORE or AFTER the water starts boiling, is still an argument for discussions. I put it before. The quantity must be such as to make the water savory, without it being sour. On the first tries, it's better to proceed by trial and error, starting with little salt (it's easier to add than to subtract). You can always add some salt also when the pasta is in the water.

As the water begins to boil, put the pasta in it all at once, pushing it down gently as soon as it gets soft. Mix it often to avoid sticking, particularly at the beginning. If you have put in enough water, you won't have to mix the pasta often again. Keep the water on the boil all the time.

Don't trust the cooking times written on the packs: taste the pasta from time to time and look at the point where you've bitten it: it will be "al dente" as soon as you will not see a white core of uncooked flour in the middle of the spaghetti or tagliatelle. Some prefer to cook it a little further, I take it off at this point.

Now pour the pasta in the colander, let all the water run off from it; put the pasta in the saucer, mix it with the sauce while adding the rest of it and the Parmisan cheese. Serve hot and put the bottle of cool red wine on the table.

Note: if you don't have a colander you can always try to dry the pasta using the lid of the pot: in this case make sure you dry well all the water from the pasta otherwise it will thin the sauce.

Please do not drink beer or coca cola, it's very un-Bolognese. If you don't want to end up drunk, buy a bottle of Lambrusco, which is a very light sparkling wine made in Emilia Romagna, that has no more alcohol than a lager beer.
(do it... it's worth it - Rene)

Buon Appetito!

Old 08-23-2007, 10:46 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,969,293 times
Very quick and easy favourites :

Cooking time less than 10 mins

Pesto sauce :

Ingredients
For the pesto
handful basil
handful pine nuts
5-6 tbsp olive oil
salt
freshly ground black pepper
basil leaves to garnish
For the pasta
140g/5oz tagliatelle, pre-cooked
3 tbsp pine nuts

Method
1. Blend all the pesto ingredients in a mini food processor.
2. Toss the pesto through the pasta.
3. Add the pine nuts and toss.
4. Garnish with basil and serve.

Penne or Spaghetti Carbonara :

Penne or Spaghetti
Good Italian Pancetta or good bacon if you can't find any
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Grana Padano
4 yolks and 2 albumens a bit of cream (optional) extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper.

Put some water to boil and, in the meantime, prepare the Spaghetti or Penne
Chop Pancetta into small squares and fry it with a little bit of oil. Boil your spaghetti. Whip the yolks and one or 2 albumens (if you plan to use cream, use only one albumen).
Add the Parmigiano Reggiano (or Grana Padano), salt, pepper and cream (if you like to).
Just the Penne/Spaghetti are ready, drain them and transfer them to a warmed container.
Add the bacon and pour what is in your cup, stirring quickly (eggs must not get cooked).
Serve immediately after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or