U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:28 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,474,628 times

Advertisements

I know you said you didn't want an all day thing...but this is very time effective and the best sauce I've ever had. Got the recipe from a guy from Palermo.

2 T olive oil
1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
2 chopped onion
8 choped garlic cloves
2 big can tomatoes (progresso)
2 small cans tomato paste (progresso)
1 lb ground beef (or turkey)
1 lb italian sausage (turkey works)
1 lb chicken (ground or parts)
1 T dried oregano
1 big can of chicken broth (low salt)
1/2 lb peeled carrot
1 cup cheap red wine.
S&P

Good cheese to grate for serving.

Brown meats, then onion, garlic and carrot, then add everything else. Cook on very low for 4-6 hours.

If it gets dry put in a bit more chicken stock.

I think you will be surprised how good this is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 11:07 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,853,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
I believe the term "easy homemade" is an oxymoron.
I respectfully disagree.
Sure, for some creations there are no shortcuts.
But I don't think a good homemade spaghetti sauce *requires* titanic effort, let alone pork neckbones.
Cattknapp's recipe (post #17) is a good example. I bet it's delicious.
I learned my sauce from my mom, who learned it from the Italian ladies on our block on Long Island. It is very similar to Elmonellie's, with not necessarily all the meat. It did have to simmer awhile, but not 6 hours.
Sometimes I add cinnamon to it, I can't remember where I picked that up.
I do agree with you about the garlic salt; really *in general* it's more about the quality of the ingredients.
Sure from scratch is the best, if you know what you're doing.
However, neither tomato paste nor Prego are by any means the Great Satan of American kitchens.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:43 AM

522 posts, read 1,477,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I have a sister-in-law who swears by adding a good handful of Locatelli brand cheese to her sauce. I do like it, but I like my sauce to have a nice translucent look to it, not cloudy.
My sauce I have found,
one large can tomato sauce
one large can tomato puree
one large can crushed tomatoes
dried basil
2 onions chopped real fine and browned in some olive oil first in the bottom of the pot.
no salt...you'd be surprised how much is already in canned tomatoes. I have made sauce in the crock pot before too and love the convenience.
Add Italian sausage already browned or meatballs and it turns out great!
This is exactly how I make my sauce and it is very good. Sometimes I add carrot and celery to the diced onions.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:14 PM

828 posts, read 2,889,647 times
Carrot and celery are a great combination! It has been years since I have had those two ingredients in a pot of sauce.
I once dated a girl who had a grandfather who added, only during the Winter, raisins and cauliflower to the sauce.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:27 PM

49 posts, read 242,403 times
For somethign super simple and quick...and cheap, you can try what my folks have always done. I plan on adding more stuff after I'm married, like the things the above people mention. but if you want a last minute sauce:

Cook up some ground chuck beef. We never made meat balls because my mom said between us 5 kids, there'd be too much of a fight over them, lol, so she just chopped it all up in small pieces.
Get a Spagetti flavoring packet to mix into the meet after you've drained the grease out.
Then had a can of tomato puree (or more if you are making it for many people).
put a little water (about 1/4 can) in the can, slosh it around to get what little puree is left in the can and add to the sauce.
Maybe some garlic or onion powder (or minced garlic or onion).
Or if you'd like something sweeter, add brown sugar. No measurements here. Just add a little until it's just the right sweetness
Simple, quick, and easy oh, and cheap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or