Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 05:53 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Holy moley!!! I must have one of those cookies.
You need to bake a batch of of Levain Bakery cookies! They are definitely the quickest and easiest to make out if all the recipes we tried. Since the cookies are each formed out of a baseball-sized mound of dough you just need teo cookie sheets, 4 mounds of dough on each and you are done.

Our other favorite recipe, The Chewy, takes much longer to prepare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 06:02 PM

983 posts, read 1,054,686 times
Don't forget about the Neiman Marcus cookie recipe. I use the version with the ground up oatmeal in it and grated chocolate (yes, it has grated chocolate *and* chocolate chips!). It's a bit of work, grinding 5 cups of oatmeal in your blender, but very worth the effort!

Old 06-20-2016, 07:16 PM

Default Union Station Cookies

This is another one of our favorites. Notice that it has melted Hershey's chocolate bar in the dough as well as chocolate chunks.

Union Station Cookies

Ingredients

1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 cup flour
2 1/2 cup Quaker Oats powdered in blender
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
8 ounce Hershey Bar (melted)
1 (12 ounce) package Chocolate Chips or chunks

Instructions

Cream together butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. On separate bowl, mix flour, oats, salt and baking powder.

Mix creamed and dry ingredients. Add chocolate chips, melted chocolate and nuts. Place dough golf ball size on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:43 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
These are my favorite gluten-free chocolate chip cookies - Thick & Chewy Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

I like them because they don't taste GF
Thanks Kitten. I'll try these. I've been using America's Test Kitchen's gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe, they're pretty fabulous, but I'm willing to try something else! (They look very similar actually.)

Old 06-21-2016, 02:08 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,837,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur Boston View Post
I just use the Toll House recipe on the bag.

I grew up down the road from the actual Toll House...it's what I'm used to and it's what I love (nuthin better than when they're hot out of the oven with a big glass of ice cold milk).

I use the Toll House recipe as well but I also add a box of Vanilla Instant pudding mix to the dry ingredients! I've done it for years The cookies are a bit crispy yet also soft as well and never turn into Hockey Pucks. LOL

Enjoy!

Old 06-21-2016, 02:50 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
I recently read a recipe that added 1 tsp of cornstarch to make the cookies chewier. It sounds intriguing but I haven't tried it yet.

Old 06-24-2016, 10:05 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
This is the other recipe that is tied for first place at this time.

Levain Bakery chocolate chip cookies

INGREDIENTS

2 sticks unsalted butter
1 c. light brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cream butter, brown sugar and white sugar until fully combined and smooth. Mix in eggs and vanilla extract, beating until the batter is glossy.
In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Gradually stir this into the butter mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
Form into loose, baseball-sized mounds and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the center has set (as in, it’s not jiggly) but not fully cooked. The edges should be lightly golden.
My daughter made these last week...all I can say... Wow!!!

Old 06-25-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
My daughter made these last week...all I can say... Wow!!!
We have made these (Levain Bakery cookies) several times now and out of the dozens of recipes that we have made this is the favorite.

Some of our taste-testers had never baked anything but Toll House cookies and they were all blown away with these cookies.

I always use Ghirardelli milk chocolate and Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate in this recipe, one cup of each.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:13 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
This is the other recipe that is tied for first place at this time.

Levain Bakery chocolate chip cookies

INGREDIENTS

2 sticks unsalted butter
1 c. light brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Cream butter, brown sugar and white sugar until fully combined and smooth. Mix in eggs and vanilla extract, beating until the batter is glossy.
In a separate bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Gradually stir this into the butter mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
Form into loose, baseball-sized mounds and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until the center has set (as in, it’s not jiggly) but not fully cooked. The edges should be lightly golden.
This is recipe I use but make spoon size rounds slightly squashed. I melt the butter first. And I use very good real vanilla, Madagascar or "Mexican" vanilla. I will sometimes cut chocolate dark & semisweet into chunks & use instead of chips.
This makes a properly chewy cookie. Do not overcook. And if some cookies are too puffy whack the whole sheet on stove top to make them fall. Then cool on rack.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:36 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,875,082 times
These are the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever tasted/made.

salted chocolate chunk cookies | smitten kitchen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes