U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 05:37 PM

26,811 posts, read 5,726,538 times

Advertisements

You received some great recipes...
My current favorite:

Roasted cabbage~this method brings out natural sweetness.
Cut head into quarters or eights, toss gently w/olive oil, salt, pepper. Single layer on pan...
Bake @ 425 or so, turning pieces every 5 min until soft w/slight browning on edges.

Great for asparagus, cauliflower etc

Thanks for the thread~

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I don't think I've ever eaten a cabbage dish and I know I've never cooked it. I do love to make cole slaw with a bit of onion, apples and lots of carrots.
I usually buy the prechopped cabbage for cole slaw but this week ended up with a really heavy head of cabbage for my slaw. I didn't even use half of it.
What do I do with the rest? Family really won't eat cole slaw two weeks in a row.

I'm thinking I can just chop it up to add to our green salads? If we like it raw in cole slaw won't we like it in our salad with dressing?

What else can I do with half a head of cabbage? I've looked at some recipes but nothing jumps out at me.

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 05:37 PM

19,620 posts, read 18,693,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
giggle...I just thought of fish and mouse so not too appetizing!
Bubble and squeak is delicious--the squeak is only the sound it makes when you squish it down in the pan using a spatula. It's a good way to use up leftover potatoes and the onions make it really tasty. (no fish and mouse lol)

Old 04-25-2013, 05:45 PM

37,700 posts, read 55,375,930 times
Great and cheap vegetable! I know at least few dozen of ways how to use it. All delicious (◕‿◕)

Beside of cooking it in many different ways, you could also make a sauerkraut or kimchi.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:47 PM

114,159 posts, read 54,004,420 times
Sauerkraut

Old 04-25-2013, 05:58 PM

4,030 posts, read 4,830,041 times
chop it, cook it until tender but not mushy with a little soy, ginger, white pepper, perhaps some grated carrot, and sesame seeds. Add some cooked roast pork, chopped. Let cool and then roll up into egg rolls and fry

Old 04-25-2013, 06:01 PM

37,700 posts, read 55,375,930 times
dishes made from cabbage - Google Search yum!!!
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:41 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,237,109 times
I put it on tacos instead of lettuce. More nutritious and more flavor and better texture imo . It's good in burritos, sauteed with potatoes, pureed chipotle, and bacon (and/or turkey).

Or you could ferment it and make sauerkraut or kimchi.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:34 AM

9,138 posts, read 6,731,998 times
I've switched over to chinese cabbage for all my cabbage meals. It is sweeter and more tender. You must buy from a reliable grocer. check the each leaf before using.

Here in S.Texas we cook cabbage with kielbasa with mexican spices...not spicy.

Find a good Kielbasa and cabbage recipe and substitute chinese cabbage and add a can of V-8...V8 spicy of you like

Old 04-26-2013, 08:55 AM

7,099 posts, read 9,306,087 times
It is, of course, the key ingredient in cabbage soup. When I make a batch of really extra-thick cannage soup using Savoy cabbage, the ripple effect of the leaves looks like mock menudo -- but slime-free!
It's a main part of the filling of the better class of eggrolls.
Sweet and delicious stir- or steam-fried.
Slice into wedges, bake or steam until tender, and drizzle over a sauce of your choosing, like Hollandaise, Harvard beet sauce, curried white sauce, even teriyaki.
You can make a terrific cabbage casserole by chopping it, filling a casserole dish or slow cooker with that plus sliced apples, carrots or raisins or both, and adding a dash of bacon grease or cranberry sauce or both for zing.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:06 AM

36,472 posts, read 43,566,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
It is, of course, the key ingredient in cabbage soup. When I make a batch of really extra-thick cannage soup using Savoy cabbage, the ripple effect of the leaves looks like mock menudo -- but slime-free!
It's a main part of the filling of the better class of eggrolls.
Sweet and delicious stir- or steam-fried.
Slice into wedges, bake or steam until tender, and drizzle over a sauce of your choosing, like Hollandaise, Harvard beet sauce, curried white sauce, even teriyaki.
You can make a terrific cabbage casserole by chopping it, filling a casserole dish or slow cooker with that plus sliced apples, carrots or raisins or both, and adding a dash of bacon grease or cranberry sauce or both for zing.
This sounds like something my family would like. How long to cook and what temp please. Any liquid needed or just bacon grease?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes