U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 03:00 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,730,439 times

Advertisements

My daughter loves making cookies. Ours are decent, but always a bit biscuity. Does anyone care to share a recipe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 07:44 PM

5,339 posts, read 8,037,771 times
The original Toll House cookie recipe is on the Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chip package. It is very good, and I have been baking them since I was a teenager.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:54 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,417,671 times
Ditto on the Nestle's recipe. It says to use either shortening or butter - I use butter, and it produces rather flat, but crispy-chewy cookies. For people who aren't used to baking from scratch, an important thing to note: do NOT soften the butter by putting it in the microwave. That liquifies the middle of the stick, and it doesn't mix into the dough properly. If you want to soften the butter (and I recommend it), then take a couple sticks out of the fridge the night before, and leave it on the counter. As long as the room temperature is lower than 80, it'll soften properly and blend in with the dough just fine.

Also, I do just a tiny bit of switching: it calls for a certain amount of white sugar, and a certain amount of brown sugar. I use *dark* brown sugar, plus I use two tablespoons more brown than the recipe calls for, and two tablespoons less of white than the recipe calls for. Same amount of sugar overall, but heavier on the dark. I'm convinced this is what makes my cookies crispy-chewy.

I also don't use nuts, because my husband doesn't like nuts. But I would use them if he didn't whine about them

Old 11-12-2011, 11:31 AM

3,693 posts, read 8,339,603 times
Ditto on the package recipe. I always use real butter and blend/whip it forever. I pull mine out of the oven a bit early so they are chewy the way I like them. Always a hit.

If yours are biscuity, you might be using just a bit too much flour.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:17 PM

8,578 posts, read 5,973,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Ditto on the package recipe. I always use real butter and blend/whip it forever. I pull mine out of the oven a bit early so they are chewy the way I like them. Always a hit.

If yours are biscuity, you might be using just a bit too much flour.
Aha! So that's the trick to getting the cookies to come out chewy. How early is a bit early? 2 minutes? More? I've always preferred cookies that are chewy and not so hard. Maybe now I can do it!!!

Old 11-13-2011, 12:59 AM

297 posts, read 545,549 times
Ditto on the Tollhouse package recipe. I always throw in a handful of tosted coconut and a half cup of cocoa powder.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:27 AM

15,343 posts, read 27,537,771 times
There is a recipe here that you might like: Share your best chocolate chip cookie recipe?

Old 11-14-2011, 06:06 PM

156 posts, read 737,211 times
Default Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

We really enjoy this recipe from Cook's Illustrated.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Avoid using a nonstick skillet to brown the butter; the dark color of the nonstick coating makes it difficult to gauge when the butter is browned. Use fresh, moist brown sugar instead of hardened brown sugar, which will make the cookies dry. This recipe works with light brown sugar, but the cookies will be less full-flavored.

INGREDIENTS
1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (8 ounces)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
14 Tbsp. unsalted butter (1 3/4 sticks)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (3 1/2 ounces)
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar (5 1/4 ounces) (see note)
1 tsp. table salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks (see note)
3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, toasted (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large (18 by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.
Heat 10 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and, using heatproof spatula, transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter until completely melted.
Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny. Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using), giving dough final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain.
Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tablespoons (or use #24 cookie scoop). Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets, 8 dough balls per sheet. (Smaller baking sheets can be used, but will require 3 batches.)
Bake cookies 1 tray at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack; cool cookies completely before serving.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:12 PM

5,339 posts, read 8,037,771 times
I like my cookies extra soft and chewy. I always watch them closely while they are baking and take them out when they still look slightly "uncooked."

I recently bought a new stove that has a huge oven window. It helps me keep an eye on my cookies while they bake.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:21 PM

25,906 posts, read 36,330,114 times
Tollhouse cookies are perfect. I love the touch of saltiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes