U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2011, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
37,094 posts, read 45,604,555 times
Reputation: 61704

Advertisements

I have not experimented yet, but it could be something to do with the type of oatmeal you use. An oatmeal which expands and absorbs the liquids quicker would cause a cookie to hold its shape better than one in which the oatmeal did not fully plump up before baking.
Maybe letting the dough stand for a half hour before baking would help solve this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2011, 07:47 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,375,697 times
Reputation: 26526
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have not experimented yet, but it could be something to do with the type of oatmeal you use.
Regular rolled or "quick" oatmeal is interchangeable but if you're using instant oatmeal you'll definitely have this problem. Hope the next batch came out well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 16 days ago)
 
8,675 posts, read 10,833,943 times
Reputation: 12722
I find using all butter/oleo can make cookies spread too much even if chilled. If it happens, I replace some of it with shortening/Crisco, just enough and they don't spread. Maybe 1/4 or a bit more of it replaced with Crisco. You have to use enough flour too--that's one thing I measure carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2011, 07:09 AM
Status: "Amityville Summer" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: in my living room
1,130 posts, read 1,870,225 times
Reputation: 1723
I made oatmeal cookies the other night using Quaker quick-1minute oats. (recipe under lid) Almost had to add more moisture. Seemed very dry to drop on sheet to me. Came out good though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2011, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Cary NC
1,049 posts, read 1,436,340 times
Reputation: 2428
Use Crisco you can use the sticks butter flavored, regular or just Crisco out of the can. Margarine and butter always seem to make cookies spread for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2011, 12:21 AM
 
Location: McKinleyville, California
6,413 posts, read 9,125,241 times
Reputation: 4225
With my oatmeal and chocolate chip cookies, I replace a third of the baking soda with baking powder and add a teaspoon of butter milk or sour cream. It makes the cookies puff up instead of spreading out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2011, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
8,004 posts, read 10,038,504 times
Reputation: 19442
Mattie, find a recipe which calls for baking powder, NOT baking soda. I'll hunt around and see if I can find mine. Also, as other posters have mentioned, use butter flavored Crisco, NOT butter or margarine. I quit making oatmeal cookies for that very same reason. Adding a bit more flour to the recipe does help as well, but DO use a recipe that calls for some baking powder, that gives you the "lift" that you're looking for! I've got an amazing oatmeal chocolate chip recipe now that I LOVE, that makes a nice hearty cookie without spreading all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2011, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
8,004 posts, read 10,038,504 times
Reputation: 19442
Mattie, this isn't mine, but I typed in Baking Powder Oatmeal Cookies and found this one. The ingredients look pretty up to par. I've tried them with some nutmeg and don't care for them, but this is basically what you're looking for. I'd try one test batch, then work in a tad more flour if it still spreads too much. Good luck. I know how frustrating that can be! We hate flat cookies!


Oatmeal Cookies
  • 3/4 cup shortening
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 3 cups quick cooking oats
Preparation:

Heat oven to 350. Place shortening, butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla in mixing bowl; beat well. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg; add to first mixture. Mix thoroughly. Stir in oats. Drop from teaspoon onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes.

Optional Additions
  • chopped nuts
  • raisins
  • chocolate chips
  • butterscotch
  • dates
  • coconut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2011, 09:52 PM
 
17,867 posts, read 17,774,705 times
Reputation: 13799
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Mattie, this isn't mine, but I typed in Baking Powder Oatmeal Cookies and found this one. The ingredients look pretty up to par. I've tried them with some nutmeg and don't care for them, but this is basically what you're looking for. I'd try one test batch, then work in a tad more flour if it still spreads too much. Good luck. I know how frustrating that can be! We hate flat cookies!



Oatmeal Cookies
  • 3/4 cup shortening
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 3 cups quick cooking oats
Preparation:

Heat oven to 350. Place shortening, butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla in mixing bowl; beat well. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg; add to first mixture. Mix thoroughly. Stir in oats. Drop from teaspoon onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes.


Optional Additions
  • chopped nuts
  • raisins
  • chocolate chips
  • butterscotch
  • dates
  • coconut
My grandma makes one of thee best oatmeal cookies on the planet. I can't eat any other oatmeal cookies because they have spoiled me.

I don't know her recipe, but I know they have raisins and cranberries in them. It's the only way I will eat cranberries of any kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2011, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
8,004 posts, read 10,038,504 times
Reputation: 19442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
My grandma makes one of thee best oatmeal cookies on the planet. I can't eat any other oatmeal cookies because they have spoiled me.

I don't know her recipe, but I know they have raisins and cranberries in them. It's the only way I will eat cranberries of any kind.
I've actually only tried them with cranberries once and they were different. LOL I'm not saying they were bad, Prince...I guess it was just a "new" taste for me. I HAVE put finely diced apples in them though and they were yummy!!

I know this sounds like a bad way to spoil a healthy cookie....but I like them with chocolate chips and walnuts or pecans in them. LOL Truly, I'm not even really into raisins in them and I do despise a flat cookie. I understand that that's something some people look for in a cookie, but not my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top