U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2011, 04:25 PM

4,196 posts, read 5,253,786 times

Advertisements

Anyone here ever have a good Carbonara? Or a good Garlic butter/oil sauce?..

I mkae a pretty darn good carbonara, I havent quite figured out the garlic and oil thing.. I have seen it made 1000 times I just cant seem to make it as good.
At this point i'm thinking, things taste better when others cook for you.
Or am I just a moron and not seeing something this guy does to make it taste so good?..

Same with bread dip...olive oil and garlic.. It never tastes the same when I make it.

It's not about roasting garlic, I get that. Is the Garlic just fried? The top chefs tell us not to do that.. (I dont mean those guys on TV)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 05:20 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,180,309 times
Here's a link to a good recipe.

Spaghetti with Garlic, Olive Oil and Red Pepper Flakes Recipe : Giada De Laurentiis : Food Network

But even this recipe leaves out one very important step. It's one I learned that makes all the difference in my pasta dishes. Make sure you have salted the pasta water enough. Add one full teaspoon per quart. It should taste like seawater. You will be amazed at how much better all your pasta dishes taste if you do this. Once pasta is cooked, it cannot be properly salted. Do it with the cooking. When the pasta is done this way, it adds flavor and support to your sauces you can't get any other way.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:20 PM

25,630 posts, read 30,458,417 times
Can you describe what is going wrong with your garlic receipes.

Is it to strong, burnt, weak, oily, sticky etc......

Old 12-10-2011, 05:25 PM

Not strong enough, I add lots of cloves always fresh.
I dont want or need dragon breath just a nice taste

The carbonara, I kinda learned over time to fry the 4 cloves (I use in the Butter and Olive oil)...even brown it a little..

When my old boss made that garlic and butter spaghetti it took him what seemed like a few minutes...it was so good..

Old 12-10-2011, 07:41 PM

25,630 posts, read 30,458,417 times
Ok I was gonna tell you how I do it but there really is no receipe. I just cook by feel with tossed pasta dishes. So check out Mario Batali's receipe's. He is the most relevent American Italian cook currently.

Trick for the garlic is to never fry it. When I want a thick garlic flavor I toss it in minced with kosher salt when the pasta goes into the skillet. The hot oil and hot pasta will cook it enough but leave the healthy garlic flavor your looking for. you will have to adjust and cook it many time to get it the way you like it. When you saute' the garlic it mellows the flavor significantly. Unless you use a whole head which I have done before. ITS AWSOME if you really like garlic.

Good luck.

BTW a true carbonara doesn't have garlic or cream.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:22 PM

I guess it's where you are from... Alton Brown I suppose...

Carbonarra is not a cream sauce.. It means with Kinda Loosly "with Bacon and eggs"
it's siciliaan..or some ****...

Thats not the true meaning of course..but it is with bacon and eggs..american.

I make it good though....

I want a garlic and oil recipe the old guys do it....

Old 12-10-2011, 08:35 PM

Old 12-11-2011, 12:07 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,461,455 times
The difference between saute and fry is the semantics, in my opinion. But to get a good "nutty" garlic taste, you need to use a garlic press to mince the cloves, and you need to saute it in HOT olive oil-butter for around 20-30 seconds (give the pan a few shakes to keep the garlic from burning), and then remove it immediately from the stove. This will flavor the oil, make the garlic itself semi-crunchy (which I think is what you're trying to do - give it texture, right?), and bring out the more subtle aroma and flavor that you can't really detect when you take a chew of raw garlic.

Always test the pan before dumping in the garlic. If a few drops of water don't start sizzling/popping/splattering in the oil immediately, then it's not hot enough yet.

If you don't put it in when it's hot enough, the garlic will absorb the oil, and won't get that texture or flavor that you love.

To make the bread dip, you need to add cracked black pepper, a pinch of basil *or* oregano (don't use both), a teeny tiny pinch of powdered cayenne, and a healthy pinch of parmaseano reggiano or salt (or both, but I personally prefer cheese, rather than cheese and salt or just salt).

You can also toast garlic, to make it very crunchy, and evaporate some of the natural oil. I don't know the method for that, but you can google it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes