Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 04:02 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
That is so wrong.

I can't stand sweet cornbread.

The way I make mine, very simple.. 2 cups of white cornmeal, 1 large egg, 1 1/2 cups buttermilk and 1/4 cup butter flavored Crisco

Start preheating the oven to 450, Put the Crisco in a (preferably cast iron) 8 inch or so pan and stick it in the oven. While you're doing that, combine the cornmeal, egg and buttermilk. Once the crisco has melted and is good and hot.. take it from the oven, slosh it around the pan a bit to coat, then pour into your mixture.. It will sizzle (and perhaps splash a bit, so be careful).. Let it sizzle for 30 seconds or so, then mix (by hand)..

Pour into pan, your oven should be at 450 by now.. Put it in the oven.. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool a few minutes before removing from pan (can serve in pan if you wish) to avoid crumbling.

Adding corn, I can deal with.. I'll occasionally put some peppers in mine as well for a more 'southwest' feel to it. I leave the salt out as I don't ever notice a difference whether it has added salt or not and I suppose that's healthier.

Buttermilk is the key with mine.. It's GOT to be buttermilk.
So good with buttermilk! I have a cast iron muffin tin that makes the best buttermilk cornbread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 05:17 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
I made the OP's recipe with two changes : half the milk was buttermilk and we added a minced jalapeno pepper to the mix.

We took it to our Boy Scout banquet and everyone loved it. Very moist and , yes, sweet, some ate more for desert.
I've got two questions for you.

Did you use a cast iron skillet?

What did you do with the leftover can of corn from the recipe?

Old 03-12-2016, 05:42 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,306 times
My cornbread always has buttermilk.

This was the best thing I've ever done to get a consistently moist and wonderful tasting cornbread!

Old 03-12-2016, 05:52 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
All my older cookbooks have two versions of cornbread - Northern style and Southern. Northern always has sugar added, Southern none. I prefer northern; southern tastes like bland cardboard to me.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:28 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
...southern tastes like bland cardboard to me.
Then you've never had Southern cornbread. That pound cake Northerners call cornbread just doesn't cut it down here.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:05 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Now, who will admit to crumbling cornbread into a glass of buttermilk? That's something several folks in this area like to do. However, it doesn't sound very good to me.

There are a lot of transplants in this part of Dixie, so the argument regarding sweet yellow vs savory white cornbread is often hotly debated. Heck, some of the cornbread is as sweet as a pound cake.
Of couse I do! I grew up eating cornbread in my buttermilk, & still do on occasion. Cornbread is NOT supposed to be sweet--that definitely wouldn't be good in buttermilk! And it should be made with white corn meal.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:42 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
I've got two questions for you.

Did you use a cast iron skillet?

What did you do with the leftover can of corn from the recipe?

No to the cast iron skillet. We needed too much cornbread for that. We used 9"X13" glass baking dishes.

And there was no left over anything. They consumed it all....liking the corn and hint of pepper too!

Old 03-13-2016, 07:20 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
No to the cast iron skillet. We needed too much cornbread for that. We used 9"X13" glass baking dishes.

And there was no left over anything. They consumed it all....liking the corn and hint of pepper too!
oh, I have a large cast iron skillet, and it got way high, moist and yummy, brown all around...

Old 03-13-2016, 07:44 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,636 times
Quote:

Thanks for the answer!

Old 03-13-2016, 09:52 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Thanks for the answer!
The better answer is bigger and more cast iron skillets.

Just kidding. Not everyone has several large ones like I do.

Use what you got and enjoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes