U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:03 PM

58 posts, read 277,666 times

Advertisements

I would like to try a few new cornbread recipes.
I am just learning it and some recipes may be better than the one i am using.
Please let me know how you cook yours......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 12:27 PM

15,254 posts, read 16,826,673 times
I use the recipe on the back of the Aunt Jemima corn meal package, substituing buttermilk for regular milk, and I cook it in a cast iron skillet in the oven. My father (a cornbread master) always said it was important for the skillet to be hot when you pour the batter in because that's what gives it the dark, chewy crust, so I put the shortening (I use canola oil or light olive oil) in the skillet and put the skillet in the oven while I'm pre-heating it. If you want it to be really dense and moist, use full fat buttermilk, rather than lowfat. My father would use melted butter instead of vegetable oil in the recipe, but that's going too far for me!

Old 08-31-2007, 02:41 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,348,953 times
Quote:
so I put the shortening (I use canola oil or light olive oil) in the skillet
That is a sacrilege to cornbread! Liz

Southern Cornbread

2 cups self rising corn meal
¼ cup bacon drippings (may substitute liquid veg shortening)
1 ½ cups buttermilk

Heat oven to 450°, put shortening in cast iron skillet (or pan) and place in oven. Heat until very hot (needs to be smoking). Mix corn meal and buttermilk in bowl. When shortening is hot, pour it into cornmeal mix and stir. Pour batter into hot pan. Bake until crisp and done. (@ 20 minutes)

Southern Cornbread Dressing

Cornbread – made from Southern cornbread recipe
Eight slices of bread, toasted very brown
8 oz of turkey/hen broth (chicken bouillon)
2-3 eggs
Sage to taste (@ ½ to 1 tbsp.)
Salt
Pepper
1 large grated onion

Crumble cornbread (called Southern Cornbread) and about eight slices of bread, toasted very brown, in large mixing bowl. Add turkey or hen broth (can use 8 oz of chicken bouillon), 2-3 eggs, sage to taste (@ ½ to 1 tbsp.), salt, pepper, and 1 large grated onion. Add enough hot water to make mixture “soupy”. Beat with electric mixer until smooth. Bake in hot oven (375) until center is fairly firm to touch, about 40 minutes. (Celery salt, toasted nuts, pecans, and/or oysters may be added.)

This is another of my Mother’s. Be very careful and make this almost a liquid but not quite….it has a tendency to be dry.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:13 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 3,676,664 times
I got this recipe from my Aunt that lives in Louisiana. It doesn't ever turn out quite right here though, due to elevation and moisture levels.

2 boxes Jiffy brand corn muffin mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk

Cover the bottom of a cast iron skillet with oil and put it on the stove over a meduim high heat, pour in the cornbread mixture and let sit on the burner for about three minutes. Place in preheated 350 degree oven for approx. 20 minutes. Immediately remove from pan. If the bottom sticks you'll know you left it on the heat for too long, or didn't use enough oil.
This is so easy, and sooo good.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:04 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,955,447 times
I grew up on real southern corn bread cooked in a cast iron skillet in bacon grease - it was not sweet or resemble cake like so many corn breads today - it was made with a slightly coarse grind and buttermilk and was substantial and corny tasting....this is my favorite corn bread - like the one southernlady makes.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:52 AM

3,161 posts, read 8,094,295 times
I am not southern. I am not an expert on what is "supposed" to be in cornbread. I do know that Alton Brown has a tasty cornbread recipe! It is here on the Food Network site:

Creamed Corn Cornbread Recipe: Recipes: Food Network

Old 09-01-2007, 08:21 AM

3,927 posts, read 7,887,531 times
oh my goodness....

2 cups cornmeal sunflour meal
1 egg
1 Tablespoon mayo
milk sweet milk, not buttermilk

cast iron skillet
1 large tablespoon Crisco

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Put Crisco into skillet, put skillet on top of stove on med heat

meanwhile in bowl

add cornmeal, egg and mayo, stir. Start adding milk a little at a time, stirring constantly until the batter is the consistency of cake batter, not too runny or too thick.

turn stove eye up and take a pinch of meal, drop it into the skillet, if it pops and fries, take a larger amount into hand and sprinkle the bottom of the pan. Not a thick layer, a very thin one. Let this turn brown, when it is browned turn off heat, pour batter into skillet and put into oven.

Set timer for 25 minutes and check doneness by touching top of bread, if it is firm but springy and browned, it is done.

Carefully take from oven and turn out into a plate. cut and enjoy.

I do love this recipe, and I never measure. This is how I learned from my mother and she from hers. This cornbread is the best I have ever tasted.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:24 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,348,953 times
Quote:
I am not southern. I am not an expert on what is "supposed" to be in cornbread.
His version is a northern, SWEET cornbread.

Cornbread - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The most common variety, skillet-baked cornbread (often simply called skillet bread or hoecake depending on the container it's cooked in) is a traditional staple of rural cuisine in the United States, especially in the Southern United States which involves heating bacon drippings, lard or other oil in a heavy, well-seasoned cast iron skillet in an oven, and then pouring a batter made from cornmeal, egg and buttermilk directly into the hot grease. The mixture is returned to the oven to bake into a large, crumbly and sometimes very moist cake with a crunchy crust. This bread will tend to be dense, meant more as an accompaniment than as a bread meant to stand on its own.
Quote:
In the United States, Northern and Southern corn bread are different because they generally use different types of corn meal and baking techniques [1]. Northern cooks tend to use yellow corn meal and Southern aficionados generally prefer white. They also prefer different flavorings of cornbread, with the North having a preference for sweetness and adding sugar or molasses, while saltier tastes prevail in the South,
Quote:
A typical contemporary northern U.S. cornbread (referred to in the South as "Yankee Cornbread") recipe contains half wheat flour, half cornmeal, milk, eggs, leavening agent, salt, and usually sugar, resulting in a bread that is somewhat lighter and sweeter than its more traditional southern counterpart. In the border states and parts of the Upper South, a cross between the two traditions is known as "light cornbread."
You notice the list of ingredients in mine...all of three. None of them sugar. It's NOT a sweet bread.

Quote:
Aunt Jemima corn meal package
Be careful here, some of these have sugar in the ingredients list. Self-rising doesn't. I just checked the one in my pantry. But the one on their web site did. Liz

Old 09-02-2007, 07:32 AM

37,097 posts, read 45,613,761 times
Not the southern unsweet kind, but our favorite.
Honey Cornbread
1 c. corn meal
1 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/4 c. oil
1/4 c. honey
2 eggs
1 c. milk or cream
1/2 stick butter (optional)

Bake at 400 in 9x9 pan for about 20 mins. Put pats of butter over the top of hot cornbread so it melts in.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:01 AM

15,342 posts, read 27,534,547 times
I was lucky enough to be able to know my great grandmother. She lived her entire life in the Appalachian Mountain area (Wise County VA). She had 9 children, all boys, with one of them being my maternal grandfather. (They actually had their own basketball team back then, sponsored by Firestone Tires). The boys truly had to walk several miles to school. She "packed" their lunch. It consisted of corn bread that had milk poured over it; they called it "mush". There wasn't a sweet thing about any of it! Ha!

My husband is a Texan and until I met him I had never had "sweet" cornbread. Yum-o I was so happy to get his grandmothers cornbread recipe.

I actually like both versions of cornbread and depending on what is accompanying; will make either. Being a born and bred southerner I do make my cornbread with melted bacon grease, cornmeal and buttermilk in my cast iron skillets. When my grandmother would get real fancy she would add chopped onion or corn cut off of the cob left over from dinner. One of my prized possessions is my paternal grandmothers corn bread iron skillet; it is in individual "pie slice" shapes.

Thanks to the OP for starting a fun thread!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or