Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 01:14 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

I know what you've been thinking. How am I going to keep my Meatless Monday resolution this year? I was just thinking that too.
I am going to post every Sunday night a delicious recipe for a meatless dish.

MONDAY, JANUARY 2: BLACK BEAN CHILI WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH

10 servings ( you can freeze few servings for a delicious lunch at work! )

Prep time: 1 hour
Total time: 3 hours 30 minutes

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, chopped
8 garlic cloves, chopped
2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 14.5-ounce cans fire-roasted tomatoes
1 pound dried black beans, rinsed
2 chipotle chiles from canned chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
2 teaspoons dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
Coarse kosher salt
1 2 1/4-pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
1/2 cup quick-cooking bulgur
Sour cream
Coarsely grated hot pepper Monterey Jack cheese
Diced red onion
Chopped fresh cilantro
Pickled jalapeño rings

ingredient info
Chipotle chiles in adobo can be found at some supermarkets and at Latin markets. Look for bulgur at supermarkets and natural foods stores.

test-kitchen tip
Your black bean chili is only as good as your black beans. For this recipe, consider using heirloom black beans. These old varieties have a more intensely earthy flavor that you just don't get in non-heirloom beans. Two to try: Midnight Black Beans from legume powerhouse Rancho Gordo and Heirloom Black Turtle Bean Seed from LocalHarvest.

PREPARATION

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
Add onions and cook until soft and beginning to brown, stirring often, about 8 minutes.
Add garlic; stir 1 minute. Sprinkle chili powder and coriander over; stir 1 minute.
Stir in tomatoes with juice, beans, chipotles, and oregano. Add 10 cups water.
Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover with lid slightly ajar, and simmer until beans are tender, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours (time will vary depending on freshness of beans).
Season to taste with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper.

DO AHEAD:
Chili can be made up to 2 days ahead. Cool slightly.
Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm chili before continuing.
Stir squash and bulgur into chili. Simmer uncovered over medium-low heat until squash and bulgur are tender, about 30 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide chili among bowls.
Serve with sour cream, cheese, red onion, cilantro, and pickled jalapeño rings.

Enjoy!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 05:53 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Penne Pasta with Broccoli Rabe and white beans :
1lb penne pasta
1 head broccoli rabe
3 cloves garlic chopped
1 can white cannellini beans drained and rinsed
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 tbsp olive oil

cook pasta according to package directions (save pasta water in pot)
trim and wash broccoli rabe then rough chop it and place it the same water you cooked the pasta in. cook for 5-6 minutes, drain and set aside.
Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat and add garlic. Cook for 3 minutes. Add broccoli rabe and cook until just about soft. (I like mine to have a little crunch to it but not alot)
add beans and broth and simmer 5 minutes more.
Add to penne and toss. Serve with grated cheese. I actually made this recipe up this morning and I will try it next Monday for dinner.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
thanks to both of you. Another great choice is just plain meatless pasta sause. Most of us have our favorite so I won't post the ingredients. Another is veggie enchalladas. Of course mac and cheese made with several kinds of cheese and tomatoes is our favorite.

Nita

Old 01-03-2012, 06:55 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Good thread. Since the weather is getting colder I like this:

Zesty Lentil Stew with some crusty bread

1 c. dried lentils
2 c. chopped peeled potatoes
1 c. chicken broth
1 2/3 c. water
1 1/2 c. chopped tomatoes( you can use canned)
1 can 11 1/2 ounces tomato juice(I like to use chopped or diced tomatoes to make it chunkier)
1 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped carrot
1/2 c. chopped celery
2 ts. basil
2 ts. oregano
1/4 ts. salt

Rinse lentils. Combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:58 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
"What do you mean, you don't eat no meat? It's ok. I make lamb."

Leave us not forget the humble tofu, which can be put in just about anything!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:34 AM

I am making veggie burritos this week, I love vegetables and I don't mind having a meatless meal 2 x a week. Tonight I am making spinach manicotti from scratch except for the pasta shells, I'll let barilla make them LOL

Old 01-04-2012, 08:14 AM

Another one that is really yummy and easy: corn chowder. yes, if you really want to make it totally veggie use veggie stock which I always have in the freezer or use a couple of cans of it. Add 2 packages of frozen corn, a couple jalapenos (canned green chilis if you don't like the bite of jalapenos) one chopped onion and 1/2 and 1/2. Bring the everything except for the 1/2 and 1/2 to a boil. heat for about 20 minutes. Pour 1/2 of the mixture into a blender to make it creamy. Return to the pot, add 1 cup of 1/2 and 1/2. Reheat. I also toss in a couple cloves of garlic and a little salt and pepper.

Nita

Old 01-04-2012, 08:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I consider meat to be an important condiment, so to me it makes more sense to have a twice a week half portion of meat day. With that mindset, I've reduced my meat consumption to an average of maybe 2 ounces a day. But meat provides an important mouthfeel essence to a meal. When I make enough pasta sauce for about 4 servings, I cook in one cut up strip of raw bacon, which to me is an important ingredient, and I would miss it if it weren't there.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I consider meat to be an important condiment, so to me it makes more sense to have a twice a week half portion of meat day. With that mindset, I've reduced my meat consumption to an average of maybe 2 ounces a day. But meat provides an important mouthfeel essence to a meal. When I make enough pasta sauce for about 4 servings, I cook in one cut up strip of raw bacon, which to me is an important ingredient, and I would miss it if it weren't there.
we eat chicken, fish and turkey. Very little red meat, I'll have a hamburger or chili on occasion. DH does not like red meat anymore, since his bout with diverticulitis last January he has found certain food not appealing. (he was an avid steak lover)

Old 01-05-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
we eat chicken, fish and turkey. Very little red meat, I'll have a hamburger or chili on occasion. DH does not like red meat anymore, since his bout with diverticulitis last January he has found certain food not appealing. (he was an avid steak lover)
Interesting, I have diverticulitous and never has any doctor mentioned red meat. Of course, I pretty much eat what I want even if I do suffer the next day. This runs in our family (yes, both the condition and eating what we want) I am just not the lover of meat I used to be. We eat chicken, pork and fish most of the time. I still love the roast or steak or meatloaf, for that matter once or so a week.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes