Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 07:12 PM

927 posts, read 1,452,596 times

Advertisements

I love to cook CHEAP supper ... my wife says we should open a restaurant

BUT to save on food is easy!

SOME BASICS TO START WITH:
  1. 20 pound bag of rice (a store here sells one for $12.00)
  2. Several type of frozen veggie and a bag or two of frozen pepper and onion
  3. (if you got an Aldi store for cans) Black Bean, Kidney Bean, Pork and Bean, Diced tomato, tomato paste, Canola oil, (if you can afford - olive oil too)
  4. Lasta pasta (fusilli, farfalle, Radiatore, Penne, Zitti, elbow for a variety keep it exciting!))
  5. Cheapest ground meat you can get broke down into about 1 pound freezer bags from dollar store
  6. IF YOU CAN: Can mushroom and black olive
  7. FRESH Garlic and Onion
  8. a pack of bacon (you take a couple strip and with scissor - snip in tiny raw bits for flavor in as pan)
  9. (at Aldi) - get the Oregano, Basil, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder
  10. Some stores have store brand of Velveeta - one has Jalapeno pepper - a thin slice can make a basic tomato sauce pop with taste - just not too much and not every time.

THINGS TO KNOW: MAIN RULE: Modest Change makes the same old thing new and different

A couple cans of bean and a little ground meat with onion and garlic, a can of dice tomato and half can of paste at the end - put over a bit of rice makes a full meal ... one day you put a little basil another day a little oregano, another day use a little sauteed bacon bits and other a little ground sausage or beef.

It takes so little to change a flavor.

... and a Ramen noodle (dump the flavor pack - garbage - too much salt) and its a cheap plate filler and real fast, good, and easy!

FAST EASY PASTA SAUCE:

2 can of diced tomato and a small can of paste a handful of frozen pea
(or pea and carrot or spinach or Lima bean or frozen pepper and onion - the change makes a different taste just with a small change)
add a little onion and garlic and a bit of olive oil and add Oregano to taste.

You can make it with egg (from time to time take one egg per person that is eating) crack it and with out beating it add to the sauce without mixing too much - it gives a new texture so its different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 08:31 PM

20,825 posts, read 28,155,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
I love to cook CHEAP supper ... my wife says we should open a restaurant

BUT to save on food is easy!

SOME BASICS TO START WITH:
  1. 20 pound bag of rice (a store here sells one for $12.00)
  2. Several type of frozen veggie and a bag or two of frozen pepper and onion
  3. (if you got an Aldi store for cans) Black Bean, Kidney Bean, Pork and Bean, Diced tomato, tomato paste, Canola oil, (if you can afford - olive oil too)
  4. Lasta pasta (fusilli, farfalle, Radiatore, Penne, Zitti, elbow for a variety keep it exciting!))
  5. Cheapest ground meat you can get broke down into about 1 pound freezer bags from dollar store
  6. IF YOU CAN: Can mushroom and black olive
  7. FRESH Garlic and Onion
  8. a pack of bacon (you take a couple strip and with scissor - snip in tiny raw bits for flavor in as pan)
  9. (at Aldi) - get the Oregano, Basil, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder
  10. Some stores have store brand of Velveeta - one has Jalapeno pepper - a thin slice can make a basic tomato sauce pop with taste - just not too much and not every time.
THINGS TO KNOW: MAIN RULE: Modest Change makes the same old thing new and different

A couple cans of bean and a little ground meat with onion and garlic, a can of dice tomato and half can of paste at the end - put over a bit of rice makes a full meal ... one day you put a little basil another day a little oregano, another day use a little sauteed bacon bits and other a little ground sausage or beef.

It takes so little to change a flavor.

... and a Ramen noodle (dump the flavor pack - garbage - too much salt) and its a cheap plate filler and real fast, good, and easy!

FAST EASY PASTA SAUCE:

2 can of diced tomato and a small can of paste a handful of frozen pea
(or pea and carrot or spinach or Lima bean or frozen pepper and onion - the change makes a different taste just with a small change)
add a little onion and garlic and a bit of olive oil and add Oregano to taste.

You can make it with egg (from time to time take one egg per person that is eating) crack it and with out beating it add to the sauce without mixing too much - it gives a new texture so its different.
Cheapest ground meet you can get broke down into a 1lb freezer bag from the dollar store.They sell ground beef in the dollar store?? I don't trust any food items from a dollar store, except candy,chips and soda. I agree about Aldi's, they just opened up one here by me in Bayshore NY and it is cheaper, especially for spices, baking needs, canned goods, pasta and rice also cereal.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Cheapest ground meet you can get broke down into a 1lb freezer bag from the dollar store.They sell ground beef in the dollar store?? I don't trust any food items from a dollar store, except candy,chips and soda. I agree about Aldi's, they just opened up one here by me in Bayshore NY and it is cheaper, especially for spices, baking needs, canned goods, pasta and rice also cereal.
no - they sell the freezer bags

gotta excuse me - I write like I talk ... son and husband of immigrants
I mastered broken English

Old 01-05-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
no - they sell the freezer bags

gotta excuse me - I write like I talk ... son and husband of immigrants
I mastered broken English
oh, the way I read it was that the dollar store sold cheap meat and use freezer bags to store it. LOL sorry. what nationality are you?

Old 01-05-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
oh, the way I read it was that the dollar store sold cheap meat and use freezer bags to store it. LOL sorry. what nationality are you?
German/Italian with a small splash of American Indian with a wife who came here as a political refugee from Hungary when it was communist

Old 01-06-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
German/Italian with a small splash of American Indian with a wife who came here as a political refugee from Hungary when it was communist
Very nice.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:16 PM

16,943 posts, read 16,175,864 times
Quote:
I've always drawn the line at buying dollar store food, too.

But, I visited a newly opened dollar store recently and I was surprised by their well stocked freezer/frig section - lots of brand name items. The food didn't look any worse than what you might find in a convenience store like 7-11.

I don't think I'd buy ground beef at the dollar store, but frozen veggies I might.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I've always drawn the line at buying dollar store food, too.

But, I visited a newly opened dollar store recently and I was surprised by their well stocked freezer/frig section - lots of brand name items. The food didn't look any worse than what you might find in a convenience store like 7-11.

I don't think I'd buy ground beef at the dollar store, but frozen veggies I might.
LOL dollar stores do not sell ground beef, I misread his post. he was saying buy freezer bags at the dollar store and use it to store chop meat that you bought elewhere.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:54 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,213,800 times
For me, a large bag of onions, potaotes, both are cheap, and can be used many ways to make lots of dishes. One of my favorite dishes is a cauliflower curry, made with onions, cauliflower, potatoes, curry.

Add a dozen eggs, and you have more protien.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:38 AM

16,943 posts, read 16,175,864 times
Quote:
LOL dollar stores do not sell ground beef, I misread his post. he was saying buy freezer bags at the dollar store and use it to store chop meat that you bought elewhere.
I know. I was just saying that the idea of getting ground beef at the dollar store might not be so far fetched.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dollar store that I went into actually did sell ground beef (frozen). I didn't spend a great deal of time looking at everything in their case, but they really had quite the selection of frozen/refrigerated food. It was like a mini grocery store in there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes