U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 01:30 AM

18,591 posts, read 23,145,754 times

Advertisements

Salt potatoes are also popular in Northern PA. Love 'em.

Honestly, if a recipe is called "Salt Potatoes" inquiring about the "salt content" seems silly. Perhaps this is not for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 12:00 PM

4,037 posts, read 9,170,076 times
My mom used to prepare new potatoes like this, minus the salt all the time. Not something I've ever seen at a fair in this part of the world however. If the salt doesn't really get absorbed into the potatoes and the the purpose of it is just to raise the boiling point, does it really affect the taste or texture of the dish if you don't use all the salt? I'm gonna try it anyway because there's not any type of potato dish I found yet that I don't love. Just curious about the need to use the salt.

As a side note, a restaurant recently opened here called "The Fair". All they sell is carnival food. Corn dogs, turkey legs, curly fries, funnel cakes, Indian tacos etc. I haven't tried it, and probably won't, but I am curious about it.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:00 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,302 posts, read 12,187,465 times
I think if you boil potatoes without the salt, debskids, if you go a little too long the potatoes start splitting open (especially small potatoes) and then they'll taste watery. There IS some saltiness to this recipe, but it's not as ridiculous as you'd think from the name.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:43 AM

4,037 posts, read 9,170,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I think if you boil potatoes without the salt, debskids, if you go a little too long the potatoes start splitting open (especially small potatoes) and then they'll taste watery. There IS some saltiness to this recipe, but it's not as ridiculous as you'd think from the name.
Makes sense. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:08 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,713,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Honestly, if a recipe is called "Salt Potatoes" inquiring about the "salt content" seems silly. Perhaps this is not for you.
Perhaps not. But there is no reason to jump on someone for "being silly". Wondering how a pound of salt affects the flavor of the potatoes is hardly silly.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:02 PM

5,373 posts, read 2,728,790 times
I know this is an old thread, but I just found a recipe for salt potatoes on All Recipes by Chef John and tried them the other night. WOW! is all I can say.

I used a couple small new potatoes and this recipe called for 5 cups of water and 1 cup of kosher salt (or 1/2 cup of regular table salt). Throw the water, potatoes, and salt into a pot, bring the water to a boil, turn down to medium, and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes. I read where the potatoes have a membrane that keeps the salt from getting into the potato, so if you take one out of the pot and cut it, don't throw it back in. Basically, you're just brining the potato.

The recipe also calls for melting (real) butter when the potatoes are done. You can either pour the butter over the potatoes before serving or just dip chunks of potato in while you eat. Or dip the whole potato in and then eat. The potatoes look a little dusty when they dry after coming out of the pot, and the butter makes them absolutely beautiful and mouthwatering.

For me, it was like eating popcorn potato. Absolutely delicious. And all you need is potatoes, salt, and butter. No peeling, no cutting, no mashing. What's not to love?

And if anyone is wondering, the amount of salt on the potatoes turns out to be just right - it only makes the potatoes taste delicious. That's the only way the salt affects the flavor of the potatoes.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:20 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,302 posts, read 12,187,465 times
Only two small potatoes? That would have been a teaser to me. I use a whole bag of the mixed variety with different colors ...... what is that, about three pounds?

Old 05-22-2015, 03:12 PM

5,373 posts, read 2,728,790 times
OK, I lied. I used 4. I was only going to eat two and save the others, but they were so good, I ate them all. *blush*

Old 05-25-2015, 10:16 AM

4,196 posts, read 5,233,200 times
These are a fond memory of growing up...

Old 05-26-2015, 07:32 PM

18,591 posts, read 23,145,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I just found a recipe for salt potatoes on All Recipes by Chef John and tried them the other night. WOW! is all I can say.

I used a couple small new potatoes and this recipe called for 5 cups of water and 1 cup of kosher salt (or 1/2 cup of regular table salt). Throw the water, potatoes, and salt into a pot, bring the water to a boil, turn down to medium, and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes. I read where the potatoes have a membrane that keeps the salt from getting into the potato, so if you take one out of the pot and cut it, don't throw it back in. Basically, you're just brining the potato.

The recipe also calls for melting (real) butter when the potatoes are done. You can either pour the butter over the potatoes before serving or just dip chunks of potato in while you eat. Or dip the whole potato in and then eat. The potatoes look a little dusty when they dry after coming out of the pot, and the butter makes them absolutely beautiful and mouthwatering.

For me, it was like eating popcorn potato. Absolutely delicious. And all you need is potatoes, salt, and butter. No peeling, no cutting, no mashing. What's not to love?

And if anyone is wondering, the amount of salt on the potatoes turns out to be just right - it only makes the potatoes taste delicious. That's the only way the salt affects the flavor of the potatoes.
A good description. A "popcorn potato". They are the best! With a side salad, that's a meal for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes