Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 05:40 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times

Advertisements

3 cans red pack crushed tomatoes
3 cans red pack whole peeled tomatoes
1 can red pack puree
1 can red pack tomato paste
1 medium onion chopped
4 cloves garlic chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
fresh basil (about 7 or 8 basil leaves left whole)
1/4 cup good red wine
2 tsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste

In a 12 qt stock pot heat olive oil on medium high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 5-6 minutes.reduce heat to medium and add crushed tomatoes and puree. In a blender puree the 3 cans of peeled tomatoes and add that to the pot. Next add paste and stir. Add fresh basil,salt, pepper, sugar and wine. (you can omitt the wine and sugar if you like, I don't) I cook and simmer the sauce for 4 hours, and if I cook it with sausage and meatballs in it then 6 hours. I don't like raw sauce. I have not made it in awhile because the DH cannot eat tomatoes since last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 06:24 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Mine is very different, both in ingredients and cooking. This is a recipe for a large quantity, most of which I freeze. Smaller amounts work just as well. The recipe is brand specific. I use Spice Island spices.

5# sliced mushrooms
6 medium sweet onions, coarsely chopped
6 bell peppers, color of your choice
3 28 ounce cans of Hunt's Tomato Sauce
3 28 ounce cans of Hunt's Crushed Tomatoes
3 28 ounce cans of Hunt's Whole Tomatoes
3 Tbsp dried Basil
2 Tbsp dried Oregano
1 Tbsp dried Marjoram
3 Bay Leaves
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 dash Tabasco (original)
6 garlic cloves
1 cup olive oil

Use a heavy 12 quart saucepot with no exposed aluminum. Stainless steel clad or tinned copper are best.

Over low heat add olive oil and bring to temperature. Then add the chopped onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms. Saute until soft but not browned. This takes a while depending upon your altitude. Then add the rest of the ingredients except the garlic cloves and let simmer. I rinse the cans and pour the reddish water into the pot. That makes about twelve quarts. After simmering for eight to ten hours start to taste. When it's down to about eight or nine quarts begin to adjust the seasoning and add the crushed garlc cloves. You'll need more sugar as well. Do not add more Tabasco. It's also time to pop the whole tomatoes. Keep tasting as the level goes down. You'll almost certainly need two days for this but don't worry. Just shut it off when you go to bed and start it in the morning. When you want to eat a big bowl of it plain, no spaghetti, nothing, it's ready.

I don't recommend adding more than a touch of salt until eating. If you like to load it with cheese as I do wait until you've added the cheese.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Mine is very different, both in ingredients and cooking. This is a recipe for a large quantity, most of which I freeze. Smaller amounts work just as well. The recipe is brand specific. I use Spice Island spices.

5# sliced mushrooms
6 medium sweet onions, coarsely chopped
6 bell peppers, color of your choice
3 28 ounce cans of Hunt's Tomato Sauce
3 28 ounce cans of Hunt's Crushed Tomatoes
3 28 ounce cans of Hunt's Whole Tomatoes
3 Tbsp dried Basil
2 Tbsp dried Oregano
1 Tbsp dried Marjoram
3 Bay Leaves
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 dash Tabasco (original)
6 garlic cloves
1 cup olive oil

Use a heavy 12 quart saucepot with no exposed aluminum. Stainless steel clad or tinned copper are best.

Over low heat add olive oil and bring to temperature. Then add the chopped onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms. Saute until soft but not browned. This takes a while depending upon your altitude. Then add the rest of the ingredients except the garlic cloves and let simmer. I rinse the cans and pour the reddish water into the pot. That makes about twelve quarts. After simmering for eight to ten hours start to taste. When it's down to about eight or nine quarts begin to adjust the seasoning and add the crushed garlc cloves. You'll need more sugar as well. Do not add more Tabasco. It's also time to pop the whole tomatoes. Keep tasting as the level goes down. You'll almost certainly need two days for this but don't worry. Just shut it off when you go to bed and start it in the morning. When you want to eat a big bowl of it plain, no spaghetti, nothing, it's ready.

I don't recommend adding more than a touch of salt until eating. If you like to load it with cheese as I do wait until you've added the cheese.
very interesting, your sauce is very sweet no?I don't know about you but I like my sauce thick, is yours thick or thin? My SI uses green bell peppers in her sauce too. Sometimes I add sausage and meatballs to mine but that's too fattening and my husband does not eat chop meat anymore pointless to make a meat sauce for one person.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
very interesting, your sauce is very sweet no?I don't know about you but I like my sauce thick, is yours thick or thin? My SI uses green bell peppers in her sauce too. Sometimes I add sausage and meatballs to mine but that's too fattening and my husband does not eat chop meat anymore pointless to make a meat sauce for one person.
The brown sugar reduces the acid taste and does add some sweetness, but not too much. The sauce is very thick and not at all smooth. There are pieces of onion, mushroom, pepper, tomato. I'm not vegetarian but I find meat to take away from the taste. Try it.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
The brown sugar reduces the acid taste and does add some sweetness, but not too much. The sauce is very thick and not at all smooth. There are pieces of onion, mushroom, pepper, tomato. I'm not vegetarian but I find meat to take away from the taste. Try it.
I think I may try it. Seems like a lot of oil though. Thanks

Old 01-03-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I think I may try it. Seems like a lot of oil though. Thanks
If you cut the oil watch it really carefully and cut just a little bit the first time. If it scorchs it's ruined and you don't want to toss all those mushrooms and peppers (onions are cheap) and start over again. It's not only expensive; it's time consuming. But you're no novice in the kitchen; you understand what I mean.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
If you cut the oil watch it really carefully and cut just a little bit the first time. If it scorchs it's ruined and you don't want to toss all those mushrooms and peppers (onions are cheap) and start over again. It's not only expensive; it's time consuming. But you're no novice in the kitchen; you understand what I mean.
Nope LOL I know what i am doing in the kitchen, sometimes I can make something out fo nothing.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:16 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
I make a thick sauce too. I chop all my "sweating" vegetables up fine in a food processor to start with. DH doesn't like veggies he can see, more's the pity. I use carrots instead of sugar, always onion, sometimes celery/jalapeno/zucchini depending on what looked good at market. If I did mushrooms too I wouldn't chop them fine.

This last time I used the 106 ounce can of crushed tomatoes from Costco ($2.85!) plus a little tomato paste. I favor dry basil and oregano as my main seasonings, I'll have to try adding red wine next time. I ended up with dinner, and 5 quarts of sauce for the deep freeze.

I seldom buy the jarred sauce.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:48 PM

Jar sauce is a no no in this house. LOL.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:24 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
These all sound very good, but honestly, I can disguise Prego, and have it ready in an hour and you cannot tell the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes