Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:48 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,910,175 times

Advertisements

My tomatos are the size of golf balls...I cant wait
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 AM

1,924 posts, read 2,363,599 times
The character of fried tomatoes of any color doesn't last very long once they are out of the pan, so best to cook them immediately before serving. All the dipping, coating, and seasoning is just to personal taste. What's important is that they be firm enough to hold up under the rigors of the cooking and serving process, and especially that they not be "slow cooked" which will turn any tomato into mush. Green, thick-sliced tomatoes are the easiest to cook, but green tomatoes can be hard to come by unless you grow your own or know a farmer. Even grocery store tomatoes will turn out quite well however if you chose large and very firm examples. Keep in mind that these are picked and shipped green anyway, and despite all the ethylene gas, they still have many green aspects and flavors in them when you take them from the pile. Personally, I use 50/50 olive oil and salted butter for frying (unsalted burns too quickly), and I don't drain them, but place them on a wire rack in a 250-degree oven while I make the next batch. Avoids some of the mushiness that can arise in draining on a paper towel. As half the people in the house like a little grated parmesan, that goes on top of the first batch as they go into the oven. Batch #2 is for the rest of us.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:11 PM

3,401 posts, read 3,074,157 times
Lubby...I like Green Tomatoes best when they are put in flour and then salt and pepper them and fry them in a bit of oil. I think the corn meal and crackers some use hides the flavor of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes