U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:34 AM

858 posts, read 1,282,648 times

Advertisements

Herbes de provence
Mediterranean rub
Bouquet garni
Creole seasoning
Italian seasoning
All-purpose seasoning

What dishes are these pre-blended herbs/spices good for?

Last edited by ssww; 02-12-2012 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 12:25 PM

5,070 posts, read 4,137,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Herbes de provence
Mediterranean rub
Bouquet garni
Creole seasoning
Italian seasoning
All-purpose seasoning

None. Do as Julia Child and I do; add each separately.

The mixes are Procrustean beds of mediocrity.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
None. Do as Julia Child and I do; add each separately.

The mixes are Procrustean beds of mediocrity.
That's my problem. I already bought them, then found almost all recipes call for individual herbs/spices. Have to find some use of these.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:39 PM

133 posts, read 132,608 times
One of our favorite restaurants serves a cheese biscuit made with gruyere cheese and Herbes de provence and its wonderful. Just take your usual biscuit recipe, and add a cup of shredded gruyere and a teaspoon of the HDP.

The only Bouquet garni I've ever seen is made with entire bay leaves, sprigs of thyme/rosemary etc. They're tied up with a string, or in a bag and used to flavor broths.

As for the rest, there are lots of possible uses, it depends on your tastes and the ingredients in each mix.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:50 PM

2,160 posts, read 3,113,167 times
I usually mix mine individually but... Herbs de Provence goes nicely on roasted chicken and turkey, I also like it with roasted potatoes. I've never used Bouquet Garni that isn't in a whole form, maybe you could put yours in a tea ball to steep in broth. As for the others, I've never used blends but I'm sure you could put them on chicken, pork or beef, depending on their flavor profiles.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
That's my problem. I already bought them, then found almost all recipes call for individual herbs/spices. Have to find some use of these.
Could you take them back to the store, tell them that your retarded nephew bought them, then lost the receipt? That's what I'd do as I know that they're not cheap.

Sometimes even regualar spices go to waste as we may buy something for a particular recipe, then never use it again. I hate waste; and you seem to fell the same.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Could you take them back to the store, tell them that your retarded nephew bought them, then lost the receipt?
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the retarded nephew also opened all of them to try to smell them, so the bottles are no longer sealed.

I'm hoping to find some vegetable recipes that could use them. Also how about beans?

Old 02-12-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the retarded nephew also opened all of them to try to smell them, so the bottles are no longer sealed.
I knew that when I was writing the post; I would have done the same. Cook some noodles and add some olive oil. Then add some of one of your mixtures. You'll probably find more than one that you like.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:12 PM

11,294 posts, read 17,082,031 times
Quote:
Herbes de provence
Mediterranean rub
Bouquet garni
Creole seasoning
Italian seasoning
All-purpose seasoning

Use the herbs -instead- of other seasonings, not in addition to them. Also, my comments for each include the most "tastable" herbs in the mixes, but there are more than these in each combination.

Herbes de provence: a tablespoon in vegetable stews or beef roasts, also great rubbed onto roast whole chicken. Okay with pork but definitely not ham or salted anything. Combines fennel with lavender for an aromatic meal.

Mediterranean rub: especially good with chicken, not so great with beef or pork. Great for flavoring mediterranean red sauces (not italian sauces) for fish stews and similar. This rub has a combination of cumin and citrus for a zingy taste. Decent for eggplant dishes too I've heard (I don't eat eggplant).

Bouquet Garni - soup, stock, stew. Always use a little muslin bag (you can even buy unfilled tea bags that iron shut and stuff them to make little flavor pouches), so that you can -remove- this before serving. Contains bay, which is not meant to be consumed, rosemary, and savory, which makes it especially great for soup/stock/stew containing poultry as the main protien.

Creole seasoning: Crawdads/crawfish/crayfish, lobsters and mussels, meats, in red sauce made with fresh chopped onion and tomato. Also great with beans and rice, but the biggest strength of creole seasoning is in how it can zest up a red sauce. Main flavors are usually black and cayenne pepper, onion powder, oregano, and colored with liberal amounts of paprika. Often high in sodium.

Italian seasoning: burgers, meat of all types, marinara sauce, italian sausage and pepper subs, on garlic bread, sprinkled on baked fish. Main flavors are usually oregano and garlic powder.

All-purpose seasoning is actually an odd duck. I can't find anything it's actually good with, that none of the others can't do better. It has nutmeg -and- cayenne -and- oregano, which is just a really weird combination.

I mostly grow my own herbs in my garden, and grind my cinnamon sticks in a coffee grinder only as needed. I rarely use pre-mixed dried herbs. But I do like McCormick's hamburger spice and what used to be called Montreal Steak, and I think it changed its name to something else.

And of course, like every good italian man's wife, I keep a tiny little jar of generic italian seasoning in the cupboard, for emergencies

Old 02-13-2012, 09:55 PM

7,232 posts, read 10,012,860 times
Quote:
Herbes de provence
Mediterranean rub
Bouquet garni
Creole seasoning
Italian seasoning
All-purpose seasoning

Like most, I doubt I would buy any premixed seasonings. But, had I received them as a gift I would use them. Just off the top of my head, I would use:

Mediterranean rub in a dipping oil with a nice loaf of bread. Put the rub in a bottle with olive oil, sea salt, and a balsamic vinegar, and use it in a small dish using a loaf of fresh bread to dip as a snack, an appetizer, along with a Tuscan salami and some cheese for a finger food meal.

Bouquet garni, I would make a broth to poach fish in. Probably my favorite would be monk fish, poached in a bouque garni infusion then broiled and served with butter.

Creole seasoning, I would probably just use for blackening a steak or pork chop.

Italian seasoning, actually I rather like this on a grilled cheese sandwich. Take a slice of white cheese, a slice of yellow American cheese, butter the exterior of a whole grain bread, sprinkle the seasoning between the cheeses, put between two slices of the bread and grill. Serve with condensed tomato soup made with half and half and water with some more of the seasoning in the soup.

The all purpose seasoning I would use to sprinkle over baked chicken pieces, pork chops......depending on its taste and content I may use it like I would either the Mediterranean or the Italian seasonings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes