U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2012, 06:35 PM

8,738 posts, read 9,938,578 times

Advertisements

I can cook pretty decent but not a baker by any stretch...I been trying to make these different box brownie recipes for a few months now. I have an event at work coming up and I want to drop brownies off...every time I make them I follow what the box says (tried Pillsbury and Duncan Hines brands) and each time they are cooked on the outside but wet and fudgy in the middle. I cut into them and wet fudge oozes out , like it wasn't cooked throughout. I want them to be as solid and crumbly inside as they are outside. If I cook them any longer at the suggested 350, they will get burned on the outside, sigh. What am I doing wrong? Maybe I need to leave the box ones alone and try someone's homemade recipe? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 07:41 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,829,087 times
I would check your oven temperature and make sure it reads what you set it at and be sure to follow the recommended pan size.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:53 PM

3,593 posts, read 10,642,038 times
It does sound like either an oven temp problem or the pan you used is too small for the amount of batter you had. Check your pan size first. If that was OK, buy an oven thermometer and see if it registers the same temperture that you have the oven set for. Finally, You might be able to save this batch of brownies. Put them uncovered in the microwave on high for 1 minute. Check and see if they are done in the middle. Repeat in 15 second increments for NO MORE than 1 additional minute. Its a trick I've used when I used too much batter for the size pan. Good luck! Oh...and obviously...if they are in a metal pan, put them in a glass pan prior to putting them in the microwave

Old 02-19-2012, 08:35 PM

3,181 posts, read 7,022,099 times
Check the oven temp, as suggested. Also be sure your pan is on a rack in the center of the over.

I'm posting a link to a Smitten Kitchen brownie recipe I've made a number of times. Even if you use a box (I like Ghirardelli), use the technique for lining the pan with parchment and cutting them after putting them in the freezer for a little bit. It makes them look much nicer. best cocoa brownies | smitten kitchen

Old 02-20-2012, 05:56 AM

16,647 posts, read 26,615,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post

Even if you use a box (I like Ghirardelli)
The massive box with the six mixes from Costco? The one with the big CHUNKS of chocolate in it?

I've made those. Oh my gosh, I've made those.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:58 AM

17,470 posts, read 20,815,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
The massive box with the six mixes from Costco? The one with the big CHUNKS of chocolate in it?

Yeah that brand is so decadent

Old 02-20-2012, 06:01 AM

3,181 posts, read 7,022,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

Yes, that's the one. People always think they are made from scratch, and the parchment trick makes clean-up really easy.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:39 PM

8,738 posts, read 9,938,578 times
Like someone mentioned I now beleive it's the pan size vs. the amount of batter I have! Most likely the batter was too much. Thanks all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes