U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2012, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Middle America
31,793 posts, read 32,150,920 times
Reputation: 40032

Advertisements

Drizzle with olive oil, minced garlic, black pepper, seal in a foil packet, and grill or oven roast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-09-2012, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,673 posts, read 63,796,694 times
Reputation: 35367
Munching on it in the car when I find it growing wild in roadside ditches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 08:00 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 48,241,321 times
Reputation: 26164
An appetizer which was a regular hit at my restaurant and very simple:

Canned artichoke hearts, drained
Fresh asparagus
Minced garlic in oil
Grated Parmesan
Butter

Place two artichoke hearts in a shallow individual oval ramekin
Place 4-5 trimmed asparagus spears on each side of the hearts, one bunch facing East and one West
Liberally sprinkle with Parmesan and minced garlic
Top with dots of butter

Microwave on high for 2 minutes.

Yum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Islip,NY
15,072 posts, read 16,491,071 times
Reputation: 14050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
With asparagus being so cheap and plentiful this year, we are buying it once or twice a week. Steamed is good, grilled is good (I like the larger spears for that) and roasted is good. Last week I made a cream of roasted asparagus soup. It was divine!

I snapped the ends, roasted the asparagus with EVOO salt and pepper at 450 until tender, added the asparagus, chicken broth, fresh thyme, sauteed caramelized onions and garlic to the food processor, pureed and then added it back to the pot and added a little cream (you could use half and half). It was delish!
Cheap asparagus??? Where??? On LI in most grocery stores it's at least $3.99 a lb. But last week It was $2.49 a lb, I buy it when it's $2.49 a lb or under. In the summer sometimes it's $1.99 a lb but that's rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Status: "Rain at last!" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Jollyville, TX
3,286 posts, read 8,202,056 times
Reputation: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Cheap asparagus??? Where??? On LI in most grocery stores it's at least $3.99 a lb. But last week It was $2.49 a lb, I buy it when it's $2.49 a lb or under. In the summer sometimes it's $1.99 a lb but that's rare.
Well, a couple of weeks ago all the stores had it for $0.97 or $0.99 a pound. It went back up to $1.98 this week, but in general during the spring it's cheap here since a lot of it is grown in Mexico (I'm in Texas).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 02:20 AM
 
2,538 posts, read 5,217,739 times
Reputation: 3876
Thumbs up mmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I love asparagus, but mostly eat it in restaurants and haven't cooked it much at home. I'm looking for some recommendations for great recipes. Thanks!
blanched and chilled...
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
62,402 posts, read 68,417,723 times
Reputation: 30888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
With asparagus being so cheap and plentiful this year, we are buying it once or twice a week. Steamed is good, grilled is good (I like the larger spears for that) and roasted is good. Last week I made a cream of roasted asparagus soup. It was divine!

I snapped the ends, roasted the asparagus with EVOO salt and pepper at 450 until tender, added the asparagus, chicken broth, fresh thyme, sauteed caramelized onions and garlic to the food processor, pureed and then added it back to the pot and added a little cream (you could use half and half). It was delish!
We like the larger spears as well. Last night I did them in the toaster oven with a paste of olive oil, sea salt and lots of garlic. Then I topped it with just a little lemon zest before serving. It was so good......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2012, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Da Region
1,619 posts, read 1,072,676 times
Reputation: 23002
This one always wins them over!

Change the Corn Starch to half teaspoon (start with less).

http://www.city-data.com/forum/19288430-post1.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2012, 04:05 PM
 
5,061 posts, read 11,993,242 times
Reputation: 3464
I steam ours, then lay them flat in a casserole dish, and top them with shredded gruyere or a mix of gruyere and swiss. Then I cover them with aluminum foil and pop them in the oven just a few minutes to melt the cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2012, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Islip,NY
15,072 posts, read 16,491,071 times
Reputation: 14050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Well, a couple of weeks ago all the stores had it for $0.97 or $0.99 a pound. It went back up to $1.98 this week, but in general during the spring it's cheap here since a lot of it is grown in Mexico (I'm in Texas).
really? Not on LI, you'd be lucky if it was onsale for less than $2.50 a pound. I wish it was $0.99 a lb. Giada made an asparagus soup on her show that I want to try.Asparagus Soup with Herbed Goat Cheese Recipe : Giada De Laurentiis : Food Network
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:11 AM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top