U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 08:36 AM

8,310 posts, read 21,453,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebral_cortex View Post
You made several good points - especially the "refining" of the alcohol. I'd be drinking a lot of booze to gain experience...

My liver would e junk in no time.

I'm more of a vodka drinker, and read a few recipes; though I guess beer/wine making would be a better alternative.
Learning to brew beer is an important step in learning to distill scotch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 09:39 AM

137 posts, read 355,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I suppose if you used an old gasoline tank as a still you might do some harm or some other prior use of the equipment with poisonous chemicals, but there is no way that distilled spirits can harm you in any way, other than that the consumption of alcohol is always a bad idea. fear mongering about home distilled spirits comes from the situation of people using acohol they bought and added to the spirits but which was not for human consumption. Its really no problem. You may not want to drink what you make after you taste it, but unless you contaminate it as I point out, it is completely safe.

First, you make a mash or a mixture that will ferment. It will get to about 12% alcohol. then you distill it by heating to the point where the alcohol boils off but the water, and other chemicals do not. All you will get is alcohol and the combination of the alcohol and the heat will kill anything that might harm you. Most people use a copper tube coiled in a large wash tub to cool the alcohol vapor, but I suggest that you just buy a glass distillation column and run cold water through it.

I had a girlfriend who's father made it and it was not bad for all I knew at the time, but I tried making it a decade or so later and it was pretty bad tasting. I could ignite it though and so it probably about 70% alcohol.

The recipe is a pound of white sugar, a gallon of water and a yeast cake. Put a air tube from the top of your jug under water to prevent contamination. It will bubble as CO2 is released in the fermentation process. When it stops bubbling, you are ready to distill.

I assume that you are located in Haiti.
Great post - thanks!

In my research I came across similar info as you just posted.

Much of the "poisoning" stories you hear about are twisted truths. They became a sort of urban legend.

A lot of the "poisonings", were due to stills being contaminated to begin with, the use of automotive radiators -- which leeched lead; attempting to extract ethanol out of "denatured" alcohol; denatured meaning the goverment added poisons (methanol, etc.) to make the alcohol inconsumable. People went blind from optic nerve damage due to the methanol, death, etc.

Yup - I'm the whitest, blue eyed person in Haiti! Hahaha

Old 03-15-2012, 01:12 PM

2,402 posts, read 1,971,127 times
I had a taste of moonshine a loooong time ago once at a barn party when in college, didn't know it was illegal, just an innocent foreigner then & didn't know it is called moonshine even... served in a beer bottle.
I also love the "moonshiners" series...

But to want to brew that stuff... nah.
I try other things like beer & wine, then absinthe first.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:23 PM

6,965 posts, read 16,427,306 times
Reminds me of a time when my kids were in high school. Moonshine became a topic of discussion. So the mother in me comes out and shows them how to ferment Kool-Aid. Then the chemist in me explained to them how they could make 'Shine out of Kool-Aid. (Somehow the charm of being a bad boy with kool-aid got old quickly)

The when the oldest was in college, he went to a wine tasting party. Imagine, if you will, the reception he got when he remarked that the favorite wine of the evening wasn't as tasty as some his mom made from Kool-Aid.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Reminds me of a time when my kids were in high school. Moonshine became a topic of discussion. So the mother in me comes out and shows them how to ferment Kool-Aid. Then the chemist in me explained to them how they could make 'Shine out of Kool-Aid. (Somehow the charm of being a bad boy with kool-aid got old quickly)

The when the oldest was in college, he went to a wine tasting party. Imagine, if you will, the reception he got when he remarked that the favorite wine of the evening wasn't as tasty as some his mom made from Kool-Aid.
That's sounds interesting. Did you substitute Kool-Aid powder for the sugar?

Old 03-16-2012, 04:51 PM

6,965 posts, read 16,427,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerebral_cortex View Post
That's sounds interesting. Did you substitute Kool-Aid powder for the sugar?
Nope. made the Kool-Aid as usual with maybe a little extra sugar and added a package of yeast. Then let it sit for a couple of weeks.

as long as the mix sends up bubbles, it's "working" (making CO2 and alcohol)

There was a fad at my church. The ladies would dump a bunch of canned and fresh fruit into a big crock, add yeast, and in a couple of weeks, serve over cake, ice cream or just eat it! I can't remember what we called it.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Nope. made the Kool-Aid as usual with maybe a little extra sugar and added a package of yeast. Then let it sit for a couple of weeks.

as long as the mix sends up bubbles, it's "working" (making CO2 and alcohol)

There was a fad at my church. The ladies would dump a bunch of canned and fresh fruit into a big crock, add yeast, and in a couple of weeks, serve over cake, ice cream or just eat it! I can't remember what we called it.
Wow - cool! Interesting idea; thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes