Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:10 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,123,811 times

Advertisements

I want to make a Rotisserie Chicken at home. I found a few things online but I wanted to see what some of you do.

Here is one that I found Click Here

Thanks

Last edited by Ron.; 04-03-2012 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 12:30 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,859,841 times
Honestly, I just use garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt and pepper. Delicious, and simple. The meat falls off the bone. I use the drippings for homemade gravy over mashed potatoes. Good luck

Oh, and I fill the pan a bit (an inch or so) with chicken stock.

Last edited by skyegirl; 04-03-2012 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: added note

Old 04-03-2012, 12:51 PM

20,814 posts, read 28,127,344 times
I will give you my grandmothers roasted chicken recipe ( she used 2 chickens but you can use 1)

1 or 2 broiler/fryer chickens 3 lbs each
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp parika
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Take Chicken(s) remove gizzard packet and save the neck(s) I discard the rest. Wash chicken under cold water including inside of the cavity. Pat dry with paper towel. Sprinkle inside of chicken with 1 tsp garlic powder. Place chicken(s) breast side up, tuck wings under legs in a large roasting pan . Sprinkle the entire chicken(s) with remainder tsp of garlic powder and all the other spices. Be sure to cover the entire chicken including wings and legs. also place necks in roastng pan too and season them. To make it easier you can blend all the above spices together and then sprinkle it on instead of using each one seperately. place chicken(s) in a pre heated 375 degree oven for 2 hours. Make sure you put about 1 cup of water in the bottom of the roasting pan so chicken does not burn on the bottom, check periodically and if pan gets dry add more water. I also baste my chicken at least 3 times during cooking using a turkey baster.1/2 hr before chicken is cooked add 2 cans of drained peas. cook with chicken. Remove chicken from pan, juices should run clear and meat no longer pink. Cover chicken(s) with aluminum foil and let rest for 20 minutes before carving. With peas still in pan turn up the oven to 425 and cook peas well until slightly crispy. drain and remove from pan and serve with chicken. You can skip the peas step if you don't want to eat them in the chicken drippings but it is good and worth trying once. My grandmother was polish and would serve sour cream with this chicken and reserve some of the drippings to go on top of the chicken. Since most of us are health conscious these days I don't use the drippings or make the peas in the drippings but I may do that for old times sake. She also served Rice with it. You can also do this same recipe using 1 oven stuffer roaster, comes out great and the chicken has a timer in it and is actually done in the 2 hour time frame.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:57 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
and how do I make them? I don't. that is one of the few premade foods I buy. I don't think anyone can make rotisserie chicken like places such as Sam's do them. I do cook whole chickens often, just not rotisserie ones. Now, I quite often roast chicken, using a similar rub and cooking about like a rotiesserie chicken, but it still isn't the same as using the spit to really do it right.

Nita

Old 04-03-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and how do I make them? I don't. that is one of the few premade foods I buy. I don't think anyone can make rotisserie chicken like places such as Sam's do them. I do cook whole chickens often, just not rotisserie ones. Now, I quite often roast chicken, using a similar rub and cooking about like a rotiesserie chicken, but it still isn't the same as using the spit to really do it right.

Nita
I don't use a rotisserie either I jusr roast them in a pan.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:51 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,592,897 times
The famous foodie way is the dry brining technique used at Zuni Cafe in SF. It's supposedly better than wet brining since it doesn't alter the texture of the chicken meat. You can read the recipe at Zuni Cafe Roast Chicken | EatMore DrinkMore or How To Roast a Chicken, Zuni-Style | The Kitchn .

Old 04-08-2012, 08:08 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,495,617 times
Once I went beer can I never looked back. I let Costco handle the rotisserie chicken now.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Once I went beer can I never looked back. I let Costco handle the rotisserie chicken now.
Costco's chickens are good.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,495,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Costco's chickens are good.
Ever see the movie "Little Nicky"

Old 04-10-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Ever see the movie "Little Nicky"
No I didn't is it funny?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes