Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:54 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,374,806 times

Advertisements

Someone requested a "Pumpkin Recipe" thread a few days ago. I though we could share "Fall Foods" recipes instead, just in case someone doesn't like pumkpin. Now, I'm going to share something I NEVER share - just hope I don't come up against any of you in a chili cookoff in the future.

This is my 3 time award winning chili recipe:

3-4 lb chili meat
3 cans ranch style beans including liquid
3 cans pinto beans including liquid
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 lg onion - diced
1 can Rotel - med/hot (your preference)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup med/hot picante sauce
2-3 TBS Cumin
6 TBS Chili Powder (adjust to taste)
1 TBS Garlic Powder
1-2 TBS Onion Powder
4-6 cups water - I usually add a little as it simmers - keep it within an inch or two of the top of my pot

Saute meat/onions to cook thoroughly. Add all remaining ingredients and simmer for 3-4 hours. Serve topped with cheese, sour cream, scallions - whatever your flavor.

CREAM OF PUMPKIN SOUP
*It's not mine, but it sounds yummy!

3 tablespoons margarine, softened
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 slices whole wheat bread
1 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup heavy whipping cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F(200 dgrees C). Combine butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.Spread butter mixture evenly over one side of each bread slice. Place bread, buttered side up, on a baking sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until bread is crisp and topping is bubbly. Cut each slice of bread into 8 small triangles or squares.

Saute onion in butter in a medium saucepan until tender. Add 1 can chicken broth; stir well. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.

Transfer broth mixture into the container of a blender or processor. Process until smooth.

Return mixture to saucepan. Add remaining can of broth, pumpkin, salt, ground cinnamon, ground ginger,and ground pepper; stir well. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally..

Stir in whipping cream and heat through. Do not boil. Ladle into individual soup bowls. Top each serving with Cinnamon Croutons.

Last edited by Elcarim; 09-16-2007 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 10:56 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,734,782 times
YUMMY!!!!

How about the vegetarian version of the chili????
I know you have it

Old 09-16-2007, 11:03 AM

Yep! Make that 6 cans Ranch Style Beans 4 cans Pintos and leave the meat out. You can also add sauteed mushrooms if you like them for added texture. OH! I forgot the 1 can stewed tomatoes!! I'll go edit.

Last edited by Elcarim; 09-16-2007 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: Oops!

Old 09-16-2007, 11:07 AM

And I'm quite sure MBM and others may try to add venison or moose to my chili recipe. I'm NOT responsible for the outcome!!

Old 09-16-2007, 12:29 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,560,328 times
Smile simple New England fare

Simple but filling family recipe. Fall is in the air!

Traditional New England Boiled Dinner

Beef brisket
1 large rutabaga, peeled and cut into 6 pieces
8 onions
8 carrots
8 medium potatoes, peeled
1 cabbage cut into 8 wedges
10 beets
Cider vinegar
Mustard
Horseradish

in this order

Place brisket in 8-quart pot, cover with cold water, cover and simmer for 4 hours. Remove from pot.
Start beets in separate pot simmering for 1-1/2 hours.
Add rutabaga to pot and simmer for ½ hour.
Add onions and carrots simmer for 20 more minutes.
Add potatoes and cabbage simmer for 20 more minutes.
Add water and adjust heat as necessary.
Add meat and heat for 5 or 10 minutes.
Serves 6
Remove brisket and slice. Arrange vegetables and meat on serving platter. Sprinkle beets with vinegar and serve with mustard and horseradish.

Traditionally, Red Flannel Hash is prepared with the leftovers.

Cook some diced onion in bacon fat for 5 minutes.
Add 3 cups diced leftover potatoes.
1 cup diced leftover beets.
2 cups finely diced leftover beef.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Toss; don’t stir in skillet to mix.
Place skillet under broiler to brown.
Serves 4

New England Baked Apples

Peel 6 large apples 2/3’s of the way down. Core, about 1” wide, being careful not to go through bottom. Arrange in shallow baking dish.
Combine: 3 tbs. Softened butter
¼ cup dried currants or chopped raisins.
2 tbs. Finely chopped walnuts.
1 tsp. Cinnamon.
Spoon some of this mixture into the center of each apple.
Pour 1-cup maple syrup over and around the filled apples.
Bake in 350 degree oven for 50 minutes, basting occasionally with syrup in baking dish.

Last edited by dmyankee; 09-16-2007 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-16-2007, 12:57 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,734,782 times
Those baked apples look delicious!!
Perfect for nippy evenings.
Wonder how dried currents would taste instead of raisins ( my daughters hate raisins!)?

Old 09-16-2007, 03:29 PM

6,619 posts, read 13,471,068 times
Default Soft Pumpkin Cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
And I'm quite sure MBM and others may try to add venison or moose to my chili recipe. I'm NOT responsible for the outcome!!
Unless someone is generous and gives us moose meat this year I won't be adding it to anything. I'm still pouting that I didn't get drawn. Again. Still. Again. I really want to go.

Soft Pumpkin Cookies
These make awesome whoopie pies. I drop them with an ice cream scoop so that they're all the same size to match for pies.

Old Fashioned Soft Pumpkin Cookies

Makes 3 dozen cookies:

2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ cup butter or margarine, softened
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
1 cup Libby’s Solid Pack Pumpkin
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

350° for 15-20 mins

Old 09-16-2007, 03:30 PM

Anyone ever have this? The recipe *says* it's a NE thing. True? Sounds scrumptuous!

NEW ENGLAND PUMPKIN BUTTER

Mix up this authentic New England pumpkin butter with maple syrup adding a bit of sweetness. If you use low carb maple syrup, you've got the perfect spread!

1/2c low carb maple syrup
2 tsp Splenda
1/4 c Water
1/2 tsp Allspice
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ginger
1/4 tsp Cloves
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
2c Pumpkin

Mix all but the pumpkin until smooth. Add in the pumpkin and mix again until smooth. Cool and keep in the fridge. It should stay good for up to a month.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:25 PM

145 posts, read 337,552 times
Hey El , how long have you been a vegetarian? Does that include fish? I think you stated that you were one,right. Anyone else a vegetarian? I was one for three yrs. and then gave it up while pregnant and had a dream of a plate of steak and spinach. I had to have it...had to . Now I just eat chicken and turkey, no beef and limited pork. One day.. I think I'll go back. My daughter seems to lean toward it too.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:35 PM

We gravitated into it slowly because of our 5 y.o. who was a "natural" from very young. The more research I did, the more I realized it was much better for our health. We do eat seafood, milk, eggs, cheese, etc. NO red meat, limited chicken - very occasionally when it's free range and free of hormones & antibiotics. NO pork, turkey once a year - just to please Mom!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes