U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:08 AM

16,080 posts, read 24,717,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I could prepare the brisket when I get home from work and cook it overnight on 200-225 degree oven. Should I wrap the brisket itelf in the foil after I have seasoned it and out a rub on it, then put it into a roasting pan? Then I could take the juices and or gravy that it makes and heat it in a pan and thicken it a bit with cornstarch and pour over the meat. Then I can serve BBQ sauce on the side. I should make cole slaw and baked beans to go with it.
The only recipe that I know is my aunt's, and it doesn't cook for nearly as long, but I'd imagine that you MUST cover it well with foil so that it doesn't dry out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 08:19 AM

9,465 posts, read 16,236,265 times
Here is my mom's recipe, which she loves to make for company since you do most ahead (it's time consuming, but very very easy to make).

5 lbs brisket (or less)
3 T vinegar
Medium onion (sliced)
Salt, pepper, garlic salt, and paprika

Day 1:
Marinate brisket in pan with vinegar and seasonings. Cover and store in refrigerator overnight.

Day 2:
Place in 350 degree oven, uncovered, to brown. Remove to baking dish with tight cover. Slice onion over top and add drippings from browning pan. Add enough water to make two cups liquid. Cover and return to 300 degree oven for 4 hours or till tender. Cool in liquid and refrigerate over night or until cold. This has to be cold to slice.

Day 3:
When ready to serve, heat in 200 degree oven 1 hour. Gravy is thin but delicious.

Mom does the whole thing from marinating to cooking to storage in her visionware glass roaster with a lid. I always wish I had one when I make this recipe.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:47 PM

67,588 posts, read 77,350,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
The only recipe that I know is my aunt's, and it doesn't cook for nearly as long, but I'd imagine that you MUST cover it well with foil so that it doesn't dry out.
you do have to cover it well. the one I did the other day I did not have covered enough and it was a little dry...I have only been doing them for about 50 years. Beginners do make mistakes..

Old 05-02-2012, 02:19 PM

16,645 posts, read 19,056,255 times
so I am thinking about wrapping the brisket in foil and placing in a roasting pan and cooking it low and slow. Maybe the last hour uncovered to brown it?

Old 05-02-2012, 02:25 PM

9,465 posts, read 16,236,265 times
I always brown beef first.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Scott's Beef Brisket Recipe

Photo by: Taste of Home Scott's Beef Brisket Recipe Read reviews (1) Rate recipe
As a native Texan, I love beef. My brother and I made special grills to cook and smoke 20 briskets at a time for parties. I created this recipe to achieve a similar fork-tender, sweet and spicy brisket using the oven. -Scott Post, Clayton, North Carolina
This recipe is: Contest Winning

Scott's Beef Brisket Recipe
  • Prep: 15 min. + marinating Bake: 3 hours + standing
  • Yield: 6-8 Servings
Ingredients
  • 1/2 teaspoon each ground allspice, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, seasoned salt and sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds)
  • 1/2 cup cola
  • 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
  • Additional barbecue sauce, optional
Directions

• Combine the dry seasonings; cover and set aside. Place brisket in a shallow dish or large heavy-duty resealable plastic bag. Combine cola and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meat. Cover or seal and refrigerate overnight.
  • Drain meat; discard marinade. Rub seasoning mix over brisket; place in a large shallow roasting pan. Combine vinegar, butter and soy sauce; pour over meat. Cover and bake at 325 for 2 hours, basting occasionally. Drain drippings. Pour barbecue sauce over meat.
  • Cover and bake for 1 hour or until the meat is tender. Remove meat from pan; let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with additional barbecue sauce if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Editor's Note: This is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.

Nutritional Facts 1 serving (additional barbecue sauce) equals 361 calories, 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 1,165 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 37 g protein.

I am not a brisket fan personally, but I am sending this your way. Note this calls for a 3-4 lb. roast, and you would need to increase the ingredients accordingly. Hope it turns out delicious...keep us posted!!!
I am making your recipe I have the brisket marinating right now. It's a 12 lb piece so I cut in in half and I am marinating each piece. I doubled the cola and Worcestershire because it's at leat two 6 lb pieces. I I will be cooking them on 275 for about 6 hours. I bought a meat thermometer too. I hope it turns out good.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:23 PM

24,671 posts, read 54,053,535 times
Here's my recipe which is a surefire huge success every single time. I put the (big) untrimmed brisket in a big covered pan. Rub it with garlic powder, cajun seasoning, onion powder and throw in a bunch of minced garlic in oil. Cover with liquid comprised of water, liquid smoke, Worcestershire and apple juice. The lid needs to be TIGHT or else cover the pan tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil, Put in a 200 degree oven overnight, nine hours.

Remove, uncover and let cool. Drain off all the liquid and, with your hands, remove all the fat (it'll just slide off, a messy job but ...) When it's all cleaned up slather the meat lavishly with your favorite BBQ sauce, re-cover the pan and throw it back in the oven at 300 for another hour. Let cool and slice with a VERY sharp knife as it'll be so tender it'll just about fall apart. Save all the drippings to serve over the meat and serve with garlic mashed potatoes or rice and beans with tomatoes, and home-made coleslaw.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Here's my recipe which is a surefire huge success every single time. I put the (big) untrimmed brisket in a big covered pan. Rub it with garlic powder, cajun seasoning, onion powder and throw in a bunch of minced garlic in oil. Cover with liquid comprised of water, liquid smoke, Worcestershire and apple juice. The lid needs to be TIGHT or else cover the pan tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil, Put in a 200 degree oven overnight, nine hours.

Remove, uncover and let cool. Drain off all the liquid and, with your hands, remove all the fat (it'll just slide off, a messy job but ...) When it's all cleaned up slather the meat lavishly with your favorite BBQ sauce, re-cover the pan and throw it back in the oven at 300 for another hour. Let cool and slice with a VERY sharp knife as it'll be so tender it'll just about fall apart. Save all the drippings to serve over the meat and serve with garlic mashed potatoes or rice and beans with tomatoes, and home-made coleslaw.
Sounds good too. My also says put BBQ sauce on it too I think for the last hour. Online I was reading that you should cover the pan with plastic wrap then foil on top which is what I am going to do. I am not cooking mine till tommorow morning. It's a 12 lb brisket that I cut in half so I will cook both in seperate pans for about 7 hours.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:08 AM

113,742 posts, read 51,341,343 times
I would never, ever,ever, put BBQ sauce on brisket until I'm ready to eat it. Dry rub and cooked in foil! Sauce is always on the side in Texas BBQ brisket.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:40 AM

24,671 posts, read 54,053,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I would never, ever,ever, put BBQ sauce on brisket until I'm ready to eat it. Dry rub and cooked in foil! Sauce is always on the side in Texas BBQ brisket.
With all due respect you've never tasted mine which has for years received accolades from hundreds of smokehouse/BBQ aficionados (including many Texans who of course think they know everything there is to know on the subject) !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes