U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 06:18 PM

16,635 posts, read 19,048,026 times

Advertisements

I orderd a fresh piece of brisket today from my local butcher about 12 lbs. I am having 13 guests for dinner saturday and I need to know a few things so I don't screw it up.
1. I don't have a smoker
2. I plan on roasting it the oven low and slow on 300 degrees

First off: this is what I am thinking of putting on the brisket prior to cooking it: Brown sugar, ketchup, chopped garlic, worcestershire, salt. (from a recipe i saw online. I don't want it too sweet and not too spicy either.)

How long do I roast this? I was thinking 8 -9 hours in a roasting pan covered with foil on 300 degrees. I am also resting the brisket on top of fresh sliced onions and carrots. Any suggestions or rub ideas would be great. This is about a $40.00 piece of meat and I don't want to ruin it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,928,241 times
Default my 2 cents

I don't want to ruin it either.
Your idea sounds Yummy.

For a long time, I have been marinating with Italian salad dressing, works for all kinds of meat.
Just an idea.
There so may options that sound/taste good these days.........
Best of luck.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 PM

67,553 posts, read 77,301,143 times
be careful with the brown sugar,it can easily burn the meat. The time seems to be about right, but I think I would heat the oven to only about 275. And watch it doesn't dry out. I usually add a can or so of beer as well as a little stock every few hours. I did one just this past Sat but it was only 6 lbs and I cooked it about 7 hours, mosltly at 275, about 2 hours before serving I did have to up the temp to 300.

Nita

Old 05-01-2012, 08:00 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,301,888 times
Default This sounds interesting....

Scott's Beef Brisket Recipe

Photo by: Taste of Home Scott's Beef Brisket Recipe Read reviews (1) Rate recipe
As a native Texan, I love beef. My brother and I made special grills to cook and smoke 20 briskets at a time for parties. I created this recipe to achieve a similar fork-tender, sweet and spicy brisket using the oven. -Scott Post, Clayton, North Carolina
This recipe is: Contest Winning

• Prep: 15 min. + marinating Bake: 3 hours + standing
  • Yield: 6-8 Servings
Ingredients
  • 1/2 teaspoon each ground allspice, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, seasoned salt and sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds)
  • 1/2 cup cola
  • 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
  • Additional barbecue sauce, optional
Directions

• Combine the dry seasonings; cover and set aside. Place brisket in a shallow dish or large heavy-duty resealable plastic bag. Combine cola and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meat. Cover or seal and refrigerate overnight.
  • Drain meat; discard marinade. Rub seasoning mix over brisket; place in a large shallow roasting pan. Combine vinegar, butter and soy sauce; pour over meat. Cover and bake at 325 for 2 hours, basting occasionally. Drain drippings. Pour barbecue sauce over meat.
  • Cover and bake for 1 hour or until the meat is tender. Remove meat from pan; let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with additional barbecue sauce if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Editor's Note: This is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.

Nutritional Facts 1 serving (additional barbecue sauce) equals 361 calories, 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 1,165 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 37 g protein.

I am not a brisket fan personally, but I am sending this your way. Note this calls for a 3-4 lb. roast, and you would need to increase the ingredients accordingly. Hope it turns out delicious...keep us posted!!!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
be careful with the brown sugar,it can easily burn the meat. The time seems to be about right, but I think I would heat the oven to only about 275. And watch it doesn't dry out. I usually add a can or so of beer as well as a little stock every few hours. I did one just this past Sat but it was only 6 lbs and I cooked it about 7 hours, mosltly at 275, about 2 hours before serving I did have to up the temp to 300.

Nita
It only calls for 3 tbsp of brown sugar mixed with the rest of the ingredients. I do hope it turns out good.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:11 PM

I plan to add some beef broth as well for basting.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post

Photo by: Taste of Home Scott's Beef Brisket Recipe Read reviews (1) Rate recipe
As a native Texan, I love beef. My brother and I made special grills to cook and smoke 20 briskets at a time for parties. I created this recipe to achieve a similar fork-tender, sweet and spicy brisket using the oven. -Scott Post, Clayton, North Carolina
This recipe is: Contest Winning

• Prep: 15 min. + marinating Bake: 3 hours + standing
  • Yield: 6-8 Servings
Ingredients
  • 1/2 teaspoon each ground allspice, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, seasoned salt and sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds)
  • 1/2 cup cola
  • 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup soy sauce
  • 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
  • Additional barbecue sauce, optional
Directions

• Combine the dry seasonings; cover and set aside. Place brisket in a shallow dish or large heavy-duty resealable plastic bag. Combine cola and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meat. Cover or seal and refrigerate overnight.
  • Drain meat; discard marinade. Rub seasoning mix over brisket; place in a large shallow roasting pan. Combine vinegar, butter and soy sauce; pour over meat. Cover and bake at 325 for 2 hours, basting occasionally. Drain drippings. Pour barbecue sauce over meat.
  • Cover and bake for 1 hour or until the meat is tender. Remove meat from pan; let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with additional barbecue sauce if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Editor's Note: This is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.

Nutritional Facts 1 serving (additional barbecue sauce) equals 361 calories, 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 102 mg cholesterol, 1,165 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 37 g protein.

I am not a brisket fan personally, but I am sending this your way. Note this calls for a 3-4 lb. roast, and you would need to increase the ingredients accordingly. Hope it turns out delicious...keep us posted!!!
I may try this recipe but cook mine longer and on a lower temperature and baste it every hour.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions so far.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 PM

113,729 posts, read 51,324,124 times
Sounds like you're making a roast Lubby. My wife cooks ours in the oven preferably, usually to using the grill or smoker. I'd forget the carrots ...onions won't hurt it. If you're without a good rub I'd just salt and pepper it. Garlic powder and a little cayenne a touch of liquid smoke if you want smoke flavor.

I think we usually cook a 3 to 5 lb much of the fat trimmed, wrapped in foil, seasoned and a little water in bottom and sealed for about 3 hours at 300 degrees. We use a local but popular (state wide) spice. Bolner's brisket rub.
Bolner Fiesta Spices Fajita Seasoning BBQ Mexican

You cannot buy or make a better tasting and tender brisket than an oven cooked with this spice.

Now down here we don't make corned beef. Brisket is about 2" thick here so if your 12 pounder is the same and it's just longer than say a 4 lb brisket....cooking times may be similar. If it's a thicker cut more time is needed most likely. 8 to 9 hours seems like an awfully long time. Good luck.

Quote:
I plan to add some beef broth as well for basting.
Keep some liquid in the foil with the meat and you'll have the best gravy/sauce you could ask for.
BBQ sauce is always separate ...I usually make it from scratch.

Last edited by SATX56; 05-01-2012 at 08:27 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 08:25 PM

3,525 posts, read 3,456,650 times
I've done it in the oven before....low and slow 225 F 1-1.5 hr per pound (essentially you're mimicking a smoker temp, but without the smoke). ALWAYS rest a meat before cutting. Rest brisket this size for about for 30-40 minutes after taking it out before cutting (critical). Make sure fat cap is only about 1/4" to 1/2" thick too. If you want to eat dinner at 5-6 PM, start your brisket at around 11 PM/12 AM. If you have a meat thermometer it would help (since everyone's oven cooks differently and you may take shorter or longer than 18h), internal temp should be about 160 F at the thicket part.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,093,957 times
Lubby: Please let us know how your brisket turns out, I have never done a brisket in an oven, I have a smoker-I have my smoker at around 180 to 190* for 10 hours for 10 lb brisket, great results...good luck and remember low and slow!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes