U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2012, 05:59 PM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
32,823 posts, read 41,124,889 times
Reputation: 53813

Advertisements

Those of you who can "taste" a recipe just by reading the ingredients, what do you think of this?
Vodka Sauce

1 stick butter
1 chopped onion
1 cup vodka
2-28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 pt heavy cream

Saute onions in butter until slightly brown and tender. Add vodka and simmer for 10 mins. Add tomatoes and simmer for 30 mins. Add cream and simmer for 30 mins.

It is my policy to test as recipe as written. Next time I will be tempted to boost it a little, but I don't want to ruin the integrity of the sauce either. I should have put some grated parmesan on it, but I forgot I had it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2012, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Islip,NY
16,623 posts, read 19,032,018 times
Reputation: 16554
I thought 1 cup vodka might be too much because I did a similar recipe and all I tasted was vodka and I threw the sauce out. But I also think I did not let the vodka cook off either and that was my problem. I made this 20 years ago and I was not as experienced in cooking like I am now. It sounds so easy to make that I may give your recipe a try. I haven't made it since because I found a place that make penne alla Vodka so good. But now I am willing to try it all over again. Thanks for posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2012, 06:18 PM
 
Location: Texas
41,930 posts, read 48,336,737 times
Reputation: 66068
Hrm.
It sounds like it will be very acidic...until you add the cream. Then I feel like that much cream will wash out the flavor.

How about spicing it up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2012, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Islip,NY
16,623 posts, read 19,032,018 times
Reputation: 16554
what about adding some pancetta or prosciutto to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2012, 07:03 PM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
32,823 posts, read 41,124,889 times
Reputation: 53813
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Hrm.
It sounds like it will be very acidic...until you add the cream. Then I feel like that much cream will wash out the flavor.

How about spicing it up?
Yes, it was "delicate". I knew it would be, but I'm a believer in trying a recipe as written before I change anything.
I think I will add a bit more oomph next time. It is very much like a pink alfredo.
I think a few hot pepper flakes, or a healthy bunch of hearty parmesan, spicy pepperoni would make it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2012, 07:05 PM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
32,823 posts, read 41,124,889 times
Reputation: 53813
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I thought 1 cup vodka might be too much because I did a similar recipe and all I tasted was vodka and I threw the sauce out. But I also think I did not let the vodka cook off either and that was my problem. I made this 20 years ago and I was not as experienced in cooking like I am now. It sounds so easy to make that I may give your recipe a try. I haven't made it since because I found a place that make penne alla Vodka so good. But now I am willing to try it all over again. Thanks for posting.
Yup, when you simmer the vodka for 10 mins it is not at all boozy anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2012, 07:48 PM
 
3,522 posts, read 3,454,277 times
Reputation: 4853
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Those of you who can "taste" a recipe just by reading the ingredients, what do you think of this?
Vodka Sauce

1 stick butter
1 chopped onion
1 cup vodka
2-28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 pt heavy cream

Saute onions in butter until slightly brown and tender. Add vodka and simmer for 10 mins. Add tomatoes and simmer for 30 mins. Add cream and simmer for 30 mins.

It is my policy to test as recipe as written. Next time I will be tempted to boost it a little, but I don't want to ruin the integrity of the sauce either. I should have put some grated parmesan on it, but I forgot I had it.
Sounds good. Vodka sauces are great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2012, 07:56 PM
 
9,018 posts, read 7,744,683 times
Reputation: 14398
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Those of you who can "taste" a recipe just by reading the ingredients, what do you think of this?
Vodka Sauce

1 stick butter
1 chopped onion
1 cup vodka
2-28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 pt heavy cream

Saute onions in butter until slightly brown and tender. Add vodka and simmer for 10 mins. Add tomatoes and simmer for 30 mins. Add cream and simmer for 30 mins.

It is my policy to test as recipe as written. Next time I will be tempted to boost it a little, but I don't want to ruin the integrity of the sauce either. I should have put some grated parmesan on it, but I forgot I had it.
Vodka sauce w/ pasta is one of my all time favorite dishes.
The recipe as is will be ok, but for next time I'd add a little basil, garlic, & maybe a touch of red pepper flakes. Top it off w/ a sprinkle of parmesan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2012, 12:52 AM
 
9 posts, read 15,476 times
Reputation: 15
Sounds delish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2012, 04:40 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
67,521 posts, read 77,272,551 times
Reputation: 36726
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Those of you who can "taste" a recipe just by reading the ingredients, what do you think of this?
Vodka Sauce

1 stick butter
1 chopped onion
1 cup vodka
2-28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 pt heavy cream

Saute onions in butter until slightly brown and tender. Add vodka and simmer for 10 mins. Add tomatoes and simmer for 30 mins. Add cream and simmer for 30 mins.

It is my policy to test as recipe as written. Next time I will be tempted to boost it a little, but I don't want to ruin the integrity of the sauce either. I should have put some grated parmesan on it, but I forgot I had it.
It sounds about right to me, I usually do adjust recipes without even trying once if I know there might be something misisng from what I like, but this sounds really good, and well balanced. It will be a good consistancy with the 10 minute or so simmering before adding before adding the tomatoes and cream. If I were to do anything different it migh be to use 1/2 and 1/2 instead of heavy cream, but then you will not get that nice consistancy. The one thing I do like, the balance of vodka to other liquids, it is a little 3 or 4 . The 2 cups of cream plus the liquid in the tomatoes is about perfect. I do like your idea of the cheese, but I think I will try this recipe without adding even the cheese.
Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top