U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:59 PM

32,823 posts, read 41,124,889 times

Advertisements

Those of you who can "taste" a recipe just by reading the ingredients, what do you think of this?
Vodka Sauce

1 stick butter
1 chopped onion
1 cup vodka
2-28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 pt heavy cream

Saute onions in butter until slightly brown and tender. Add vodka and simmer for 10 mins. Add tomatoes and simmer for 30 mins. Add cream and simmer for 30 mins.

It is my policy to test as recipe as written. Next time I will be tempted to boost it a little, but I don't want to ruin the integrity of the sauce either. I should have put some grated parmesan on it, but I forgot I had it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 06:14 PM

16,623 posts, read 19,032,018 times
I thought 1 cup vodka might be too much because I did a similar recipe and all I tasted was vodka and I threw the sauce out. But I also think I did not let the vodka cook off either and that was my problem. I made this 20 years ago and I was not as experienced in cooking like I am now. It sounds so easy to make that I may give your recipe a try. I haven't made it since because I found a place that make penne alla Vodka so good. But now I am willing to try it all over again. Thanks for posting.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:18 PM

41,930 posts, read 48,336,737 times
Hrm.
It sounds like it will be very acidic...until you add the cream. Then I feel like that much cream will wash out the flavor.

How about spicing it up?

Old 05-02-2012, 06:24 PM

16,623 posts, read 19,032,018 times
what about adding some pancetta or prosciutto to it?

Old 05-02-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Hrm.
It sounds like it will be very acidic...until you add the cream. Then I feel like that much cream will wash out the flavor.

How about spicing it up?
Yes, it was "delicate". I knew it would be, but I'm a believer in trying a recipe as written before I change anything.
I think I will add a bit more oomph next time. It is very much like a pink alfredo.
I think a few hot pepper flakes, or a healthy bunch of hearty parmesan, spicy pepperoni would make it better.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I thought 1 cup vodka might be too much because I did a similar recipe and all I tasted was vodka and I threw the sauce out. But I also think I did not let the vodka cook off either and that was my problem. I made this 20 years ago and I was not as experienced in cooking like I am now. It sounds so easy to make that I may give your recipe a try. I haven't made it since because I found a place that make penne alla Vodka so good. But now I am willing to try it all over again. Thanks for posting.
Yup, when you simmer the vodka for 10 mins it is not at all boozy anymore.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:48 PM

3,522 posts, read 3,454,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Those of you who can "taste" a recipe just by reading the ingredients, what do you think of this?
Vodka Sauce

1 stick butter
1 chopped onion
1 cup vodka
1 pt heavy cream

Saute onions in butter until slightly brown and tender. Add vodka and simmer for 10 mins. Add tomatoes and simmer for 30 mins. Add cream and simmer for 30 mins.

It is my policy to test as recipe as written. Next time I will be tempted to boost it a little, but I don't want to ruin the integrity of the sauce either. I should have put some grated parmesan on it, but I forgot I had it.
Sounds good. Vodka sauces are great.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:56 PM

9,018 posts, read 7,744,683 times
Quote:
Vodka Sauce

1 stick butter
1 chopped onion
1 cup vodka
1 pt heavy cream

Vodka sauce w/ pasta is one of my all time favorite dishes.
The recipe as is will be ok, but for next time I'd add a little basil, garlic, & maybe a touch of red pepper flakes. Top it off w/ a sprinkle of parmesan.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:52 AM

9 posts, read 15,476 times
Sounds delish.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:40 AM

67,521 posts, read 77,272,551 times
Quote:
Vodka Sauce

1 stick butter
1 chopped onion
1 cup vodka
1 pt heavy cream

It sounds about right to me, I usually do adjust recipes without even trying once if I know there might be something misisng from what I like, but this sounds really good, and well balanced. It will be a good consistancy with the 10 minute or so simmering before adding before adding the tomatoes and cream. If I were to do anything different it migh be to use 1/2 and 1/2 instead of heavy cream, but then you will not get that nice consistancy. The one thing I do like, the balance of vodka to other liquids, it is a little 3 or 4 . The 2 cups of cream plus the liquid in the tomatoes is about perfect. I do like your idea of the cheese, but I think I will try this recipe without adding even the cheese.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes