U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:44 AM

8,306 posts, read 3,235,019 times

Advertisements

katzenfreund, Thanks for the info. You are right about the whole wheat ones being healthier. I guess I would like Soba noodles better than Udon, I like the thinner kind . So do we get them at the local Chinese/Asian stores ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 02:02 PM

5,127 posts, read 10,239,565 times
Happy, I get them at the health food store, but an asian grocery store will sell them! I buy the Eden organic brand at the health food store.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:05 PM

5,127 posts, read 10,239,565 times
Here is another recipe I like during the warm months... I LOVE avocados, filling and full of vitamins. And the beans provide lots of fiber and fill you up, too....

Red Beans and Avocado Salad

Ingredients :

4-6 whole wheat flour tortillas
3/4 cup red kidney beans, cooked
4 leaves romaine lettuce, sliced (or other greens like spinach, red lettuce, etc...)
1 avocado, sliced
1 small ripe tomato, diced
your favorite homemade vinaigrette or a combination of
oil, vegan red wine vinegar, shallots (or garlic), paprika,
mustard powder and salt and pepper
add cheese or sour cream, if you'd like!

Directions:

Mix all the ingredients of the salad. Roll the tortillas is cone, hold them with a toothpick and fill them with the salad.

Serves: 2

Prep. time: 15 minutes

Old 10-05-2007, 06:07 PM

402 posts, read 2,030,619 times
I'm not even a vegetarian, but with these, you can't help but love it!

Made this one last night..really enjoyed the garlic and cilantro flavors...
Seven Layer Tortilla Pie - Allrecipes

and this one I've made several times now...use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth to make it vegetarian...I CRAVE this (ate in 4 meals in a row this week!!)
Black Bean and Couscous Salad - Allrecipes

YUUUUMMM!

Old 10-09-2007, 06:04 PM

8,306 posts, read 3,235,019 times
The Black bean and couscous salad looks awesome !! Yum..

Old 07-09-2008, 06:47 PM

4,538 posts, read 8,140,913 times
Hi all, my first time visiting this forum. I am a veggy. Here's a couple a quik preparation ideas, not really "recipes" - till I get out some more of my favorites.

Bean Tacos Filling: Instead of canned refried beans, use a can of pinto beans. Add it to a microwave bowl along with a some dried, miced onions (to taste - start with a tsp) and heat for 4 -5 minutes. Mash with a potato masher or similar tool, leaving beany bits - not too smooth. At this point I add them to a small crock pot and add a bit of water if necessary. They are light yet have a rich flavor that's a nice contrast to the corn tortillas, cheese and cool vegetables.

"Bacon" Lettuce and Tomato sandwiches: Two pieces of good whole wheat bread. Spread one with mayonaise (egg, eggless, tofu - your choice) and sprinkle Betty Crocker brand "Bac-Os" chips on the mayo which "glues" them in place. Top with fresh tomato slices, salt and pepper, nice green lettuce, and the other slice of bread. Cut in half and enjoy

Note: Betty Crocker "Bac-Os" are labled "Contains no meat or animal fat" The chips are larger than the bits - I use them for soups instead of a ham bone. They are smoke flavored TVP.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:09 AM

5,683 posts, read 9,108,683 times
I had posted these in the "frugal recipes" thread, but they are appropriate here as well. We are omnivores but often choose to eat meatless meals both for health reasons and cost savings. The first two are my spouse's version of soups that we tried and loved at a couple of our favorite local Middle-Eastern restaurants, and the final one is the charro bean recipe that he developed when we lived in South Texas.

LuLu's Lentil Soup

1 c. green lentils
1 qt. water
1 dried hot red pepper (use a whole one so you can fish it out at the end)
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 onion, chopped fine
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 (16-oz) can tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp. cinammon
1/2 tsp. sumac (optional but it adds a nice touch)
1 lemon

Put lentils, water and hot pepper in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, turn down heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.

Add celery, carrots, onion, cumin, garlic powder and tomatoes. Simmer 20 minutes longer.

Add cinnamon, sumac and the juice of one lemon and simmer for 20 minutes more. Fish out the red pepper. Serve with warmed pita bread.

Sumac is a Middle-Eastern spice that isn't very common in the US. We buy it at Penzeys (they have a dozen or so bricks-and-mortar stores and a very comprehensive catalog) but if there's a Middle-Eastern market in your community, you could probably find it there.

Bunky's Lentil Soup

1 c. red lentils
1 qt. water
1 tsp. salt
1 small onion, minced fine
1 Tbs Penzey's Turkish seasoning

Place lentils, water, salt and onion in a large saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the Turkish seasoning and simmer another 15 minutes.

Charro Beans

1 cup Pinto beans, soaked overnight
2 qts. water
1-2 tsp. salt
1 onion, medium chopped
2 stalks celery, medium chopped
2 carrots, medium chopped
1 large fresh chopped tomato OR 1 (16) oz can tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
1 (or more) fresh jalapeno peppers, to taste (see note below)
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, medium-chopped

Put soaked beans, salt and water in a large saucepan, bring to a boil, turn down and simmer for 30 minutes. Add carrots, celery and onions and simmer 30 minutes more. Add jalapeno and tomato and simmer for 10 more minutes. Add cilantro, turn off the heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Serve with corn tortillas.

Note on jalapenos: you can get at least some idea of how spicy peppers will be by looking at the pith. If the white pith is coated with dark brown oil, it's likely to be a wild pepper. If there's just a little trace of golden or orange oil along the pith, it's probably a milder one. With any pepper, the heat is concentrated in the pith, so if your family isn't fond of very spicy things, be sure to remove the pith from the jalapenos before putting them in the pot.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:42 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,092,187 times
Great thread!

I love to make Hummus. Really easy to make and good for you!

Great served with Tortilla Chips, Pita chips or in Pita bread sandwiches.

I don't really have a recipe but here's the ingredients.

HUMMUS

1 can organic Garbanzo Beans
2-3 Cloves Garlic
1 Tablespoon Sesame Tahini
Lemon
Salt
Pepper
Cumin

Drain beans, reserving liquid, and place in a food processor.

Add Tablespoon Tahini, Garlic cloves, Cumin, Lemon Juice.

Process until smooth. Add more bean juice if dry.

Season to taste.

Enjoy!

Keep the recipes coming!

WC

Old 07-25-2008, 12:19 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,243,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HG View Post
rfb , I was wondering if i could pressure cook the beans to make it faster ?
[ ?
I love pressure cookers!

After soaking the beans of course you can cook them in the pressure cooker. You may need to drain some of the excess water, then add the beans to the recipe at hand.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or