Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:23 PM

109 posts, read 126,253 times

Advertisements

I use the oven only for baking cakes and other desserts, chicken and turkey, and ham. I've decided to go on a baking spree. Everything I serve and feed my family for the next couple of weeks will be baked.

Appetizers, main course, desserts... Please share your best baked food recipes Anything the family loves will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 07:38 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,364 times
I love baking pork chops. There are so many recipes (mustard pork chops, lemon pepper pork chops, pork chops and baked apples, ranch pork chops, you get my drift). Fish is another versatile baking main dish.

I also like making baking packets. Wrap meat, seasonings, and random or expiring veggies in aluminum foil and slow bake.

For appetizers I love a warm spinach artichoke dip and warm crusty bread.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:41 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,486 times
Default Oven Baked Swiss Steak....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazermunsta View Post
I use the oven only for baking cakes and other desserts, chicken and turkey, and ham. I've decided to go on a baking spree. Everything I serve and feed my family for the next couple of weeks will be baked.

Appetizers, main course, desserts... Please share your best baked food recipes Anything the family loves will be greatly appreciated!

I got this years ago off of Taste of Home so I can't claim it as original, but I have been making it for ages and we just love it.

Oven Tender Swiss Steak:
Take about 2 to 2.5 pounds of round steak cut into serving pieces and trimmed of fat, dredge in flour and brown in a large dutch oven in some oil. Salt and pepper to taste. I usually have to do this in two batches because I make extras for leftovers. When brown, place the meat into a large covered casserole dish (spray bottom and sides with PAM first). Slice a large onion (if you like them) into thin slices and layer between the meat pieces. Take about 2 cups of water and stir in 4 tablespoons (or to your taste) of Worschestire Sauce and pour directly over the meat. Cover and place in a preheated oven at 325 degrees. Meat should cook slowly for 2 to 2 1/2 hours (if it goes over a bit it is no big deal. The meat will stay moist because of the lid and will only make it more tender.) The meat will be so tender that you will be able to cut it with a fork. When it is done cooking, carefully remove the meat and cover it to keep it warm. Take all of the leftover juices (scrape the bottom - yum!) and put into a sauce pan (strain the onions out if you don't want them in the gravy. We kinda like them though). Take 1 can of beef broth and whisk in about 1/4 cup of flour until the lumps disappear. Slowly add this to the sauce pan with the meat juices and stir. Bring to a boil and continue stirring gently until gravy thickens to your taste. Let the gravy cook 2 or 3 minutes to make sure the flour taste is gone. NOW comes the best part - serve this up with either mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles along with whatever else you desire. It is a real stick to the ribs kind of meal. I hope you enjoy it.

This is a favorite at our house. It is easy, smells and tastes delicious, and is nice enough for company, in my opinion anyway!!! If you try it, let me know what you think...

Old 05-22-2012, 09:47 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,425,985 times
Oven-roasted vegetables!

Follow the ratio: 1 pound vegetables, 2 ounces olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon chopped herbs (like oregano, rosemary, sage, thyme).

Combine everything and toss to coat.

Preheat oven to 400°F.
Chunk vegetables so they're sorta-kinda the same size.
De-seed the ones that need de-seeding.
Place vegetables on a lightly greased sheet pan in a single layer.
Don't overcrowd or they will steam rather than roast.
Put the slower-cooking, hard vegetables to the outside of the roasting pan
Turn vegetables once or a few times during roasting.
If cooking different kind of vegetables on the same pan, remove the vegetables as they become tender.
Roast vegetables until desired doneness. Usually about 25 minutes, depends on size of vegetables.
Serve warm or at room temperature. Can be made ahead and reheated in oven.

Combinations are endless ... asparagus, green beans, beets, broccoli,carrots, cauliflower, celery root, corn on the cob, eggplant, fennel, garlic cloves, leeks, mushrooms, onions, parsnips, peppers, potatoes, radishes, rutabagas, summer squash, turnips, winter squash ... whatever is in season or whatever your family likes.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:22 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,226,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Oven-roasted vegetables!

Follow the ratio: 1 pound vegetables, 2 ounces olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon chopped herbs (like oregano, rosemary, sage, thyme).

Combine everything and toss to coat.

Preheat oven to 400°F.
Chunk vegetables so they're sorta-kinda the same size.
De-seed the ones that need de-seeding.
Place vegetables on a lightly greased sheet pan in a single layer.
Don't overcrowd or they will steam rather than roast.
Put the slower-cooking, hard vegetables to the outside of the roasting pan
Turn vegetables once or a few times during roasting.
If cooking different kind of vegetables on the same pan, remove the vegetables as they become tender.
Roast vegetables until desired doneness. Usually about 25 minutes, depends on size of vegetables.
Serve warm or at room temperature. Can be made ahead and reheated in oven.

Combinations are endless ... asparagus, green beans, beets, broccoli,carrots, cauliflower, celery root, corn on the cob, eggplant, fennel, garlic cloves, leeks, mushrooms, onions, parsnips, peppers, potatoes, radishes, rutabagas, summer squash, turnips, winter squash ... whatever is in season or whatever your family likes.
I do something similar but to make it a full meal, throw some chicken pieces on top of the veggies, rubbed with olive oil, lemon juice, some herbs, or pesto is really good too, and then when it's almost done, crumble up some feta over top of everything and bake for another 10 mins or so. Goat cheese or some fresh grated parmesan would work too. Super easy and yummy.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:12 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
Mamas Meat Bake

1 (16 ounce) package frozen broccoli , rinsed and drained
1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (10 ounce) can cheddar cheese soup
1 cup milk
3 cups cut up ham or 3 cups chicken or 3 cups beef
½ teaspoon onion powder
2 cups Bisquick baking mix or 2 cups jiffy pancake mix
1 ½ cups milk

Heat oven to 450°F.
Mix vegetables, soups, 1 c milk, meat and onion powder in greased 9x13 baking dish.
Mix baking mix and milk.
Pour evenly over soup mixture.
Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
Bake 27-30 minutes or til lightly golden brown.
Let stand at least 5 minutes.

Last edited by phonelady61; 05-23-2012 at 04:12 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-23-2012, 04:16 AM

aunt Jeans sweedish meat balls

1 lb hamburger
1 egg
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
2 medium carrots, grated
2 medium potatoes, grated
1 medium onion, diced
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup

Mix the first 7 ingredients.
Roll into 1" balls and brown, they seem to stick, so you need to watch them closely. Place in a greased 9x13 pan.
Melt the butter in a saucepan, add flour and then the milk.
When the flour has dissolved into the milk, add the can of soup, heat through. Pour over the meatballs and bake uncovered at 325°F for 30 minutes.
Sprinkle with shredded cheese when removed from the oven.

Last edited by phonelady61; 05-23-2012 at 04:16 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-23-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Isn't this "Aunt Lori's Swedish Meatball Recipe" from Food.com?

Or, is your Aunt Jean operating under an alias there:

Auntie Lori's Swedish Meatballs Casserole Recipe - Food.com - 17092
jeeze I dont know but i found this in my aunt 's recipe book and tried it and liked it . what are you stalking me on here ? if this does not stop I will report you to the moderator I suggest you stop stalking me !!! DO YOU HEAR THIS ? STOP FOLLOWING ME !!! YOU COME ON HERE TO TAUNT ME STOP IT !!! IF YOU KEAVE ME ANOTHER MESSAGE I WILL CONTACT THE AUTHORITIES !!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS ? THIS IS THE LAST TIME I WILL TELL YOU THIS !!!!

Last edited by phonelady61; 05-23-2012 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: spelling !!

Old 05-24-2012, 12:42 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,481,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazermunsta View Post

New Orleans Style Barbecue Shrimp - I'll get the recipe if you are interested. It's a pretty spicy dish, maybe too spicy for young kids.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:04 AM

109 posts, read 126,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
New Orleans Style Barbecue Shrimp - I'll get the recipe if you are interested. It's a pretty spicy dish, maybe too spicy for young kids.
Oh nothing is too spicy for my family! Even my 3-yo niece likes my spicy tuna spaghetti. And were all crazy abt shrimp... Please and thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes