Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:02 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,513,602 times

Advertisements

I love the taste of chicken-fried steal with the mandatory mashed potatoes and cream gravy and further accompanied with green beans or corn on the cob. But I hate tough meat; how can I give my chicken-fried steak the tenderness of Swiss steak without changing the flavor?

Some mixture of stock with wine or vinegar seems reasonable but I'm hoping for a recipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 02:10 AM

285 posts, read 613,853 times
Beat your meat! Seriously, there are two methods for tenderizing bottom round steak (which is what I use for CFS).

1) Place portion sized pieces of steak between two pieces of plastic wrap, then grab a heavy rolling pin and literally pound your steak into the desired thickness...usually 4 or 5 good whacks. This is my "in a hurry" way.

2) Take a couple of dinner forks - the sturdy kind, flimsy/delicate won't work. Stab your steak methodically until all parts have been pierced multiple times. They actually make handy little tenderizer kitchen gadgets that will do this, they run $18 - $30, but I've been doing it this way for many years. It's the way my grandma taught me and it just"feels" right.

Salt and pepper your steak, dip into buttermilk, dredge in seasoned (garlic, black pepper, salt and red or chiplote pepper) flour. Fry. I promise you your CFS will be tender without having to resort to those nasty "cubed" steaks that fall apart!

Old 06-17-2012, 01:28 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,257,024 times
+1 what Gypsy said. Meat mallot/tenderizers run alot cheaper than that though.
You need something to breakdown the fibers in the meat and even out the thickness of each slice.
I double dip mine in flour, then egg, then flour again though, and NEVER cover the pan. You want the meat fried, not steamed.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:04 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,450,327 times

Deni meat tenderizer

Old 06-17-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
+1 what Gypsy said. Meat mallot/tenderizers run alot cheaper than that though.
You need something to breakdown the fibers in the meat and even out the thickness of each slice.
I double dip mine in flour, then egg, then flour again though, and NEVER cover the pan. You want the meat fried, not steamed.
When I fry chicken I initially turn the pan with the oil to high, then brown it uncovered. At that point I turn the heat way down and cover. It seems that the chicken-fried steak would be very dry without covering.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:14 PM
B4U

My electric stove goes from low, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, hi. I cook at about 6 - 6.25 for just enough to brown golden the coating, turn and repeat, remove to papertowel lined platter, until all meat is cooked.
The meat is so thin it doesn't need to be cooked to death, and if you kept it longer the meat would dry out and toughen.
Covering it just "rubberizes" it.
Besides, I thought you said you were cooking "chicken fried" STEAK, which is BEEF! Either way, when you pound meat, or poultry to a thin depth, you cooking for only a short time. You should be doing everything almost to completion before you start your steaks - they take minutes and there'd be no time for covering if done correct.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
My electric stove goes from low, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, hi. I cook at about 6 - 6.25 for just enough to brown golden the coating, turn and repeat, remove to papertowel lined platter, until all meat is cooked.
The meat is so thin it doesn't need to be cooked to death, and if you kept it longer the meat would dry out and toughen.
Besides, I thought you said you were cooking "chicken fried" STEAK, which is BEEF! Either way, when you pound meat, or poultry to a thin depth, you cooking for only a short time. You should be doing everything almost to completion before you start your steaks - they take minutes and there'd be no time for covering if done correct.
I'll give it a try. But if I used my electric stove at that high a setting the steak would be burned. I want the meat to be well cooked to bring out the taste.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:40 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,450,327 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'll give it a try. But if I used my electric stove at that high a setting the steak would be burned. I want the meat to be well cooked to bring out the taste.
Beware..those numbers mean nothing on electric stoves. Unless it is a digital display of a thermostat control and you have matching stoves. If they're #'s on the knob they are simply reference points. 2 could be equal to 5 etc. on a different stove.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:46 AM
B4U

The #s were a reference point. Meaning not medium, but not high either. If you average out the #s I listed, 4 1/4 would be the middle. Just be aware the longer you cook the coated meat, the tougher, drier it will be.
Luck.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:13 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,495,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Yup

I have the larger 45 blade model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes