U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:33 PM

36,488 posts, read 41,660,628 times

Advertisements

I used to love my grocery deli's broccoli salad, but then they changed the recipe and started making it with what is either sugar or Miracle Whip. Ick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 06:48 PM

13,258 posts, read 36,253,393 times
To those who find brocolli bitter:

The raw broc does have a bitter aftertaste, and if you overcook it, it gets pungeant-smelling. A person's sense of taste, works in conjunction with their sense of smell. So if something smells unpleasant to them, it is less likely to taste good.

The trick to a "sweet"-tasting broc is to -lightly- steam it until it just starts to get tender, and take it out of the water before it actually gets tender. It should still crunch, somewhat like the consistancy of chewing on a walnut. An almost-crunch. Not a stale bread or crouton crunch, but not a limp, soft consistancy either. What you might call a "tender" crunch.

If you can get it like that, you'll find that you might notice a little sweetness, and only a very vague hint that it might have once been bitter.

Once you get it to that texture, you can do pretty much anything with it. Add it to chicken alfredo, or mix it into your shrimp with garlic sauce, smother it with cheese sauce, put it in a dish with a dash of olive oil, some seriously crunchy dehydrated minced garlic, and a pinch of slivered almonds.

The key is in the steaming.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:54 PM

235 posts, read 406,370 times
Paula Deen's Down Home Broccoli Casserole

- Brine 1lb (or less) broccoli in 2 cups simple syrup for 48 hours.
- Puree brined broccoli in food processor with simple syrup, a stick of buttah, and 3 cups Strawberry Quik powder, y'awll. (reserve 1 cup)
- Place in edible casserole dish and cover with 2 pounds smoked gouda cheese.
- Garnish with snickerdoodle cookies, thin mints, and marshmallow peeps.
- Combine reserved cup of Strawberry Quik with 2 cups heavy cream and drink immediately.

Broil for 1 hour or until peeps beg for mercy or insulin.
This recipe can be doubled if serving 2 people.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:08 PM

17,470 posts, read 20,820,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzro View Post
Paula Deen's Down Home Broccoli Casserole

- Brine 1lb (or less) broccoli in 2 cups simple syrup for 48 hours.
- Puree brined broccoli in food processor with simple syrup, a stick of buttah, and 3 cups Strawberry Quik powder, y'awll. (reserve 1 cup)
- Place in edible casserole dish and cover with 2 pounds smoked gouda cheese.
- Garnish with snickerdoodle cookies, thin mints, and marshmallow peeps.
- Combine reserved cup of Strawberry Quik with 2 cups heavy cream and drink immediately.

Broil for 1 hour or until peeps beg for mercy or insulin.
This recipe can be doubled if serving 2 people.
Strawberry quick??? This sounds like a very sweet dish. I also think you are pulling my leg

Old 07-02-2012, 05:45 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,302 posts, read 12,180,791 times
Don't Care For Broccoli? A Bitter Taste Receptor Gene's Variation Suggests An Evolutionary Excuse

Old 07-06-2012, 09:54 AM

36,474 posts, read 43,566,158 times
also you have to use broccoli very fresh,. If you hold it in the fridge too long the florets start to turn yellow and then it is really bitter.
I put broccoli in every pasta salad. I blanch it first. this turns it really bright green and it is still crisp.

I bet I serve broccoli 2-4 times a week in some form or other. cauliflower is too expensive to use unless it is on sale.

all 4 of my kids grew up eating tons of broccoli. My mother lived with us for about 10 years. She was a meat and potatoes cook and I rebelled by trying lots of different recipes and vegetables.
After she had been in my house 1 month she said "I've had more broccoli in 1 month at your house than I've had in my whole life." She was 66 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or