Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:28 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,935,251 times

Advertisements

I make a broccoli and cauliflower salad that my family and friends love.

Broccoli
Cauliflower
Green or Black Olives (drained)
Optional: Slice Mushrooms

One bottle of Italian Dressing (Optional: Zesty Italian)
One Pack of Good Seasons Zesty Italian Salad Dressing Mix (dry pack)
Pour the dry pack into the bottle of Italian Dressing and shake well. I let the dressing sit overnight in my refrig. Shake it again before use. Add the dressing to the veggies to taste, it has a kick. I start with about a fourth of the bottle and mix and then add more. Cover the salad and refrigerate before serving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 06:05 AM

20,871 posts, read 28,239,212 times
I make a broccoli bake or I make mashed cauliflower.
2 pkgs birds eye steam fresh broccoli cuts- steam each bag 5 min in microwave
1 clove of garlic minced
1 small onion chopped
3 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp flour
1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
2/3 cup cheese-wiz
2 large eggs beaten
4 tbsp milk
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup grated parmesan or romano cheese

cook broccoli and place in food processor, process for about 2 minutes. In a large sauce pan heat butter and oil, add onions and garlic and saute for 3 minutes on medium high heat. add flour, then whisk in water and milk, add cheeses and stir until smooth. Add eggs and continue processing while adding the cheese mixture. Blend until smooth. Place broccoli mixture in a buttered casserole dish, sprinkle bread crumbs on top and bake 30 minutes on 350.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:12 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,325,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
Please share some recipes that really work....
Oh my goodness,

These are two of my favorite veggies and there are lots of ways: here are a few suggestions:

mash cauliflower with a potato or two, just like you would make plain mashed potatoes; it is less fatening, lower in cards and really tasty. Another secret, cheese on the cauliflower or a cheese sause, but the biggest blunder people make is over cooking cauliflower and broccoli. Broccoli is great with a little vigegare. Idealty the best way is to top with hollendaise sause, but that gets a little more complecated. Just remebmer don't over cook. Oh, both a great is salads as well, you can use them raw. A good salad is the two veggies with grape or cherry tomatoes, red onion, a bag of romen noodles (browned and cooled) or you can use womething else for the crisptness, add a little vinegarette dressing and some crumbled blue cheese.

Nita

Old 06-27-2012, 07:45 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,165,784 times
I agree.

While completely repulsive to me raw (strange sharp taste), these are my two favorite veggies cooked.

So versatile. As is spinach.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:49 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,147,637 times
Broccoli salad and slaw are awesome. Shoot, steam some broccoli and cover it in cheese is delicious.

Mash caulitlfower and treat/season it like mashed potatoes.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:49 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,366,115 times
I like both of those veggies raw or cooked, alone or as ingredients, and use them both in a variety of different ways. Cauliflower tastes the most un-cauliflower to me when it is broken into bite size pieces and tossed in a zip bag with olive oil and curry powder, and roasted. Roasting brings out a sweet flavor. A way to eat more broccoli but disguise it somewhat (although I love broccoli and like it undisguised) is to chop it finely and stir it into baked and mashed up potatoes, then put the filing back into the potato skins and twice-bake. Cheese, butter, cream cheese optional.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:46 AM

41,805 posts, read 74,837,182 times
Cauliflower sort of steamed sort of roasted: Spray a big piece of aluminum foil with Pam, and add bite-size pieces of cauliflower with a pat or two of butter, salt and pepper to taste, and some fresh parsley, tarragon or thyme. Fold the foil into a packet, and toss on the grill for about 10-12 minutes.

I love cauliflower as mock mashed potatoes, too. Everywhere I take them for potlucks they get huge raves. I use butter, cream cheese, a little milk and minced garlic in mine, as well as fresh chives if they're in season.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:00 AM

20,871 posts, read 28,239,212 times
You could do fried broccoli florets too.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:34 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,713,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
If broccoli tastes bitter to you, then it's due to a genetic difference that won't go away no matter how good the recipe.
I think I'm doomed.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:37 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,713,526 times
I heard a rumor that Albert Broccoli's grandad invented the vegtable by splicing cauliflower with spinach. What is confounding to me is that spinich is my favorite veggie after asparagus.
Further, Albert Broccoli produces the 007 movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes