U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:07 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,915,856 times

Advertisements

We never had goulash, but my grandmother made what she called hash....leftover pot roast and gravy and diced potatoes, carrots and diced onion simmered until the flavors were blended - it was so delicious - she made the best gravy and pot roast so the has was divine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 06:51 AM

18,260 posts, read 20,549,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
We never had goulash, but my grandmother made what she called hash....leftover pot roast and gravy and diced potatoes, carrots and diced onion simmered until the flavors were blended - it was so delicious - she made the best gravy and pot roast so the has was divine.
My Grammie made that for us too. I always asked for it for my birthday supper too. I love that hash!

Old 10-03-2007, 10:31 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,257,925 times
When we were little, my mom called "goulash" spaghetti meat sauce with elbow macaroni instead of spaghetti noodles!!

Old 10-03-2007, 11:08 AM

10,994 posts, read 17,487,206 times
is this a midwestern thing? Never been served anything called goulash in my life.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:15 AM

13,308 posts, read 21,866,149 times
I guess this debate is as old as the hills. What westerners refer to as goulash is actually what Hungarians refer to as "Pörkölt" which is a braised meat (or mushroom) dish. A traditional pörkölt does not include anything more than cubed red meat, onions, garlic, Hungarian paprika, and salt. Adding bell peppers, tomatoes, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. seems ghastly to someone who grew up eating the traditional version, although I have seen it served in Hungary with a trickle of sour cream on top (certainly not mixed into the dish). It is usually served with Hungarian dumplings (similar to the German "Spätzle") and cabbage salad. If you travel to Hungary, pretty much all the restaurants will serve this dish in the way that I have described it.

Now "gulyás", which is where the word goulash comes from, is actually a soup or stew, made with similar ingredients to those I already listed, but it can be prepared with cubed potatoes and/or dumplings cooked right into the stew. It is traditionally made over a fire in a cauldron, and different regions have different traditional methods to prepare this.

Another related Hungarian dish is "paprikás" which is a similar recipe but with chicken or fish (csirke paprikás or hal paprikás). The chicken paprikás is where the green peppers are added, and usually cooked together with potatoes as a one-pot dish.

I personally don't take offense when someone calls a concoction with ground beef and elbow macaroni "goulash" because everyone has their own idea of what a goulash is based on what they grew up with. The key ingredient though is the paprika, and the best in the world happens to be Hungarian. I don't think anyone with culinary chops would ever try to argue that point.

For anyone who thinks goulash is the bee's knees, you should travel to Hungary some day and make a point to spend at least one day in the Hortobágy area so you can sample some 'Hortobágyi húsos palacsinta' - one of my personal favorites of Hungarian cuisine.
Attached Thumbnails
Goulash-porkolt.jpg   Goulash-hortobagy_palacsinta.jpg  

Old 10-03-2007, 01:06 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,255,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Our version had no beans or paprika, but we called it American Chop Suey

Yep. Though we never say the "American" part.. it's just chop suey.

Old 10-03-2007, 02:58 PM

2,124 posts, read 7,934,859 times
Ok, here is Mom's version of Ghoulash:

brown hamburger meat
elbow macaroni
can of tomato soup
Large can of whole tomato's (do not drain!!) all of it goes in and you tear apart the tomato's with your hands so there are chunks.
salt, pepper, garlic
stir together. let simmer on the stove for a little while until all the flavors get to meld. Even better the next day for left overs.

We love it!! Now I am an adult and stil make it. My brother is staying with us, and was up in Phillie on business recently. He called me at home around 4pm and was just getting ready to get on a plane to come home. I told him, I'm making ghoulash. He came straight home, walks in the house and says "where the ghoulash, I"m starving. I wouldn't eat anything because I didn't want to ruin my appetite." LOL!! Now that is a diehard : )

Shelly

Old 10-03-2007, 04:01 PM

111 posts, read 392,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
, Even better the next day for left overs.
Oh Yes!! We feel the same way.

Sometimes we don't even eat it until the next day.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:45 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,446,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
is this a midwestern thing? Never been served anything called goulash in my life.
My parents were from NY / NJ and then we moved to CA. Maybe the name "goulash" is from the east coast.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:14 PM

2,222 posts, read 9,443,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
When we were little, my mom called "goulash" spaghetti meat sauce with elbow macaroni instead of spaghetti noodles!!
That was pretty much what my mom made too, only she would add green beans. I grew up on it and so did my son, and he loved it too. My mom was born and raised in Chicago, but spent most her life in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or