Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 10:38 AM

659 posts, read 1,014,266 times

Advertisements

I have scoured the internet making different pork green chili recipes but none taste as good as I get in restaurants,

If anyone has a good recipe, please share!

I am currently cooking a pot right now and it smells awful. Like it has no flavor. I pretty uch copied Bobby Flays recioe this time which I thiught was odd because it fif not use green chilies, it used other green chilies.

I am new to Colorado and green chili is very popular here, yet nobody knows how to make it.

Last edited by Ming Ming; 07-20-2012 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 10:47 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
I have scoured the internet making different pork green chili recipes but none taste as good as I get in restaurants,

Restaurants where? Colorado-style? New Mexico? Arizona?

Old 07-20-2012, 11:12 AM

659 posts, read 1,014,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Restaurants where? Colorado-style? New Mexico? Arizona?

I don't know. I like the thicker green chili, the kind you can pour over burritos. I don't know the difference between Colorado, New Mexico or Arizona green chili.

I have made many different types. one was a stew, some tasted like salsa which was not bad but not pork green chili. The current one I am making it watery and smells like peppers.

I cooked the pork in cumin and garlic, then I took 32 ounces of chicken stock, 4 serranos, 2 jalapinos and 2 anahiem and a thing of cilanto a full onion and put it in a blender. Then put it all into a crock pot to cook.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:

I am currently cooking a pot right now and it smells awful. Like it has no flavor. I pretty uch copied Bobby Flays recioe this time which I thiught was odd because it fif not use green chilies, it used other green chilies.

I am new to Colorado and green chili is very popular here, yet nobody knows how to make it.
Let me check a couple cook books, one is New Mexico cooking and the other is one from our ladies group, at our church in NM> No one knows more about Green Chili than people who have lived their lives in NM.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:29 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,031 times
Stokes has a really good canned green chili sauce with pork. Walmart used to carry it but I haven't been able to find it lately at our local store. I have always used this to pour over burritos and other Mexican foods.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:05 AM

133 posts, read 280,944 times
Default Pork green chili

I've had good luck with this recipe:

Green Chile Stew
1 lb pork shoulder cut into 1†cubes
¼ veg oil or lard
2-3 medium potatoes diced
1 ½ onions chopped
1 qt chicken broth
2 tbs masa
1 1/2 pounds tomatillos, husks removed
1/2 medium yellow onion, peeled, cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, peeled
2 or 3 serrano chiles, cut in half, stems removed (depending on how hot you want it)
1 cup cilantro, leaves and stems
Salt to taste

Place the tomatillos, onion, garlic, serrano chiles and cilantro in a large pot. Add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil on high. Continue to boil uncovered for 10 minutes or until the tomatillos go from a bright green to a light, muted green (If the water doesn’t cover them completely, don’t add more water just turn the tomatillos in the pot halfway through the cooking so all sides are exposed to the boiling water). Turn of the heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Transfer the pot contents to a blender and blend until smooth. (If you don’t let the vegetables cool, the steam will make the blender lid pop off, which makes for a bit of a mess.) Add salt to taste.

Rinse out the pot and dry. Add oil or lard, and heat until it shimmers. Add pork in small portions and brown completely. Add onions and sauté until translucent. Add chicken broth. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Add potatoes and green sauce. Return to simmer and cook until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle masa over stew and cook until thickened (If you can’t find masa, use AP flour mixed with an equal amount of water and stirred until smooth)

If you like it hotter, use more serranos. If you want it milder use roasted and peeled anaheims or poblanos in place of 1 of the serranos

Old 07-21-2012, 09:04 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
I cooked the pork in cumin and garlic, then I took 32 ounces of chicken stock, 4 serranos, 2 jalapinos and 2 anahiem and a thing of cilanto a full onion and put it in a blender. Then put it all into a crock pot to cook.
A couple of things.

1) simmer the pork with the cumin, garlic, onion, salt, and chopped celery, until the pork pulls apart with a gentle tug of a fork.

2) save the broth

3) you don't need the serranos or jalapinos. Just get the right heat from Hatch (Hatch, NM) green chilis. Roast the chilis on a grill or in the oven until they are totally scorched and pull the skin off. (You can buy canned flame roasted diced chili from Hatch as well) It is best if you do it on the grill outside.....your house won't smell like smoke so bad and most people won't start crying when they walk in.

Dice the green roasted chilis. I like to use about a half gallon with about a 3 pound pork roast, diced. Mix the chili and pork together, cover the mixture with the reserved pork broth, adjust the spices in the broth to taste and and simmer. If you want a thicker broth, use masa harina (corn flour.....NOT CORN MEAL). You can also add diced potatoes, diced mushrooms, corn etc if you want it a meal on its own. Or thicken it a bit and serve over enchiladas or burritos.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
the two above recipes sound really good: Can you believe it? My NM church cook book does not have a recipe and I can't even find my Mexican cook book. Maybe it is time for me to clean the house?

Old 07-22-2012, 04:02 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
The best "GREEN" chilis have tomatillos in them, along with all the other goodies.

Whenever I make chili verde I wing it because of the difference in flavors of the fresh produce.

I use
Tomatillos 10-20 depending on size of batch
Pasilla peppers 4-5
Jalapenos 2-5 depending on heat, somtimes I'll use a serrano to pump up the heat if the jalapenos are mild.
whole garlic 1 head
onions 2-3
cilantro. 1 bunch

Roast up all the ingredients except cilantro. I do mine over gas grill. Everything gets a slight char. The peppers get cooked until black.

Toss peppers in bowl cover with plastic for about 30 minutes to steam.

Toss tomatillos, onions and 4-5 cloves of garlic into blender and corse chop with salt and pepper to taste.

Strip skin off peppers. Add pasillas to mix and then add in the hot peppers until you get the heat you want.

Now just keep ading peppers/ garlic and cilantro until you get the taste you want.

If its to watery cook it a bit on the stove before chilling. Or dump over pork chunks for Classic Mexican Chili Verde con Cerdo

I change it up every once in a while by adding different ingredients but that is the basic.

I know its not a BettyCrocker receipe but you get the idea.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 07-22-2012 at 04:14 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 03:05 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,031 times
Default Pork Green Chili Stew

Someone saw my post that I was having Pork Green Chili Stew for dinner last night and requested that I post the recipe. This recipe is my cousin's who lives in Arizona. I love this stuff!

I know there is another thread about Pork Green Chili but this stew is different from the chili.

Pork Green Chili Stew

1 lb. ground pork (I buy reduced fat ground pork at Walmart)
5 medium potatoes - chop into stew size pieces
2 chopped Roma tomatoes
1 fairly large onion - chopped
1 small can diced green chilis plus one finely chopped fresh small jalapeno pepper
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
3 cloves fresh garlic - chopped
4 cups chicken broth (I usually have to add a bit of water 1-2 times during cooking also)
1 heaping Tablespoon Flour for thickening - mix with water to get a thickening consistency
Salt & Pepper to taste

Saute ground pork with the Italian Seasoning in 1 tablespoon EVOO until the meat is almost done. Add the chopped onion and chopped garlic and cook until onions begin to get soft. Add broth and simmer for 15 minutes. Add chilis, potatoes and tomatoes and simmer for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are done. Add salt and pepper to taste. Thicken with flour/water mixture (I usually don't use a lot of thickening mixture - just enough to thicken a bit).

You can substitute chicken for the pork but I like the pork better.

Enjoy! Our dinner last night was great with fresh corn on the cob!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes