Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 06:36 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am looking for a meatless chili recipe that tastes rich and good, so adults can enjoy it, but is not too spicy or have ANY sort of detectable chopped vegetables in it, so my sister's kids will eat it too. Chili normally defeats me anyway -- it either tastes like nothing, or my eyes are watering for days from too much spice. Anything that resembles a chopped onion or pepper or a crushed tomato will have all the kids wailing like banshees at the table. I'm hoping for a beany, not meaty version of chili, about as strong as you would expect to find on a coney dog, if that helps you narrow down the heat index that I'm looking for.

I know how impossible this sounds in an era of big, chopped veggies in everything, but that's what I'm up against. I appeal to you experts.

Can you help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 08:21 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,031 times
hmmmm. Just wondering why you want to make chili if the kids won't eat the vegetables. In order to easily solve the problem, I personally might think about going to the store and buy a few cans of beanless chili or coney island/hot dog sauce; or make a different kind of soup; or puree the chili so the vegetables can't be detected; or puree just the vegetables/beans/meat and add them in to thicken the liquid with the spices. (different types of soup: Wisconsin cheese soup, mushroom soup with finely chopped mushrooms, pureed carrot soup, chicken rice, chicken noodle, homemade tomato)

Good luck

Old 07-30-2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
hmmmm. Just wondering why you want to make chili if the kids won't eat the vegetables. In order to easily solve the problem, I personally might think about going to the store and buy a few cans of beanless chili or coney island/hot dog sauce; or make a different kind of soup; or puree the chili so the vegetables can't be detected; or puree just the vegetables/beans/meat and add them in to thicken the liquid with the spices. (different types of soup: Wisconsin cheese soup, mushroom soup with finely chopped mushrooms, pureed carrot soup, chicken rice, chicken noodle, homemade tomato)

Good luck
The dining options are very limited because of multiple food allergies, and I was specifically asked to make chili if possible. That's why I ask. Coney island hot dog sauce is full of meat, and I need meatless. Buying it in a can almost guarantees that there will be another allergen I can't have on the table, MSG or nitrites or (whee!) both. There can be no dairy. And as I told you I am spice-impaired and I am looking for a recipe, not a can. But thank you.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:08 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Maybe this?

In a medium to large soup pot, saute 1/2 chopped onion, 1 chopped bell pepper (not green, red will hide better) and 2 to 3 cloves garlic in 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil. Cook until really really soft, and don't drain the oil off.

Add a can of tomato sauce and 2 tablespoons chili powder and stir. Let it cool. Now get your blender and puree the heck out of it

Pour it all back into the soup pot, bring the heat up to medium low and add 1 can of black beans and 1 can of kidney beans (both drained and rinsed). Add about 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Add a dash of cayenne pepper and a dash of red pepper flakes. Stir occasionally and cook for at least 20 minutes. Of course, the longer you cook chili the better, but if you're pressed for time, 20 minutes is fine. If it's too soupy, add some more beans. If it's not soupy enough, add some more tomato sauce. Chili is very forgiving.

Some Coney Dog recipes call for 1 teaspoon or so of prepared mustard. Some call for 1 teaspoon of Accent. I've used mustard in chili before, but no the Accent.

Oh, the tomato sauce and beans - about 15 ounce cans or so. Sorry, I usually just pull stuff from my pantry and invent a lot, LOL

Old 07-30-2012, 11:08 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Just add grape jelly to the kids portions. LOL! May sound funny but I kid you not. We were introduced to this at a " Mother of Twins Club" back in the 80's. The kids all loved it. Just add some (to taste) to what you've made for the adults. Stop laughing. Try it! It wasn't terrible to me but I'm not gonna go looking for any.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Maybe this?

In a medium to large soup pot, saute 1/2 chopped onion, 1 chopped bell pepper (not green, red will hide better) and 2 to 3 cloves garlic in 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil. Cook until really really soft, and don't drain the oil off.

Add a can of tomato sauce and 2 tablespoons chili powder and stir. Let it cool. Now get your blender and puree the heck out of it

Pour it all back into the soup pot, bring the heat up to medium low and add 1 can of black beans and 1 can of kidney beans (both drained and rinsed). Add about 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Add a dash of cayenne pepper and a dash of red pepper flakes. Stir occasionally and cook for at least 20 minutes. Of course, the longer you cook chili the better, but if you're pressed for time, 20 minutes is fine. If it's too soupy, add some more beans. If it's not soupy enough, add some more tomato sauce. Chili is very forgiving.

Some Coney Dog recipes call for 1 teaspoon or so of prepared mustard. Some call for 1 teaspoon of Accent. I've used mustard in chili before, but no the Accent.

Oh, the tomato sauce and beans - about 15 ounce cans or so. Sorry, I usually just pull stuff from my pantry and invent a lot, LOL

That sounds VERY doable. I will try it tonight and be ready for zero hour. Thanks!

Old 08-01-2012, 04:31 PM

Thanks Jasper! That sounds sreally good, too!

Old 08-03-2012, 07:45 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
My suggestion is that whatever recipe you settle on, run the partially cooked but softened vegetables through a coarse foodmill or chop up in a food processor until the chunks of vegetable are too small to be readily identifiable. Then cook a bit longer. In my house this trick cut way down on the pickyness, because there was nothing to pick out. And I could use it to load up something like chili with carrots, cauliflower, whatever.

Also, if you are trying to add to the "chili" flavor without making it too spicy hot to the taste , use less red pepper or chili powder but more cumin.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:54 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Specifically for kids
Vegetarian Chili Recipe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes