U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 10:16 AM

71,683 posts, read 83,258,368 times

Advertisements

We are going to my daughters for brunch on Sunday. she is serving a Mexican theme meal and I am, as usual in charge of appitizers: They do not need to be Mexican I will add. I have made some mini, cocktail sized meatballs in a green chili sause, they are cooking right now. I am going to do fruit kabobs but I want one more thing. I will mention, the base of what I want to do is some really good, thinly sliced sour dough bread; what should I put on the bread?

I know you will all have some really good ideas for me.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 11:14 AM

17,470 posts, read 20,820,466 times
How about toasting the bread and making Bruschetta? Or make a homemade hummus and top with sliced green olives. Olive tapanade, thinly slice pieces of lox, cream cheese and capers on top.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:17 AM

2,050 posts, read 1,229,528 times
Sounds like fun!!

A lot of times in the summer I buy cherry or grape tomatoes, cut the tops off, and fill them with a bacon, mayo and cheese filling. Just enough for one bite.

The dill pickle spears that you wrap in a piece of dried beef spread with cream cheese are also good!

Good luck, Nita

Old 08-02-2012, 11:53 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,490,187 times
I have the perfect solution....make Mexican Molletes (Moyetes). I love these and take these lots of times to cook-outs and other functions for an appetizer.

Bolillos is actually the bread you need for this (used in making Tortas), but since these are hard to find, I usually use a loaf of Italian Bread (French will do but don't use the baguettes) cut in half lengthwise and then in several pieces about 2 1/2 inches wide. Here's how I make them:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter the bread and grill it buttered side down until it's brown and crispy on the buttered side (I use my griddle pan).

After browning, cover the browned side with refried beans from a can (I use fat free but any will do) (will probably need at least two cans) and place on a cookie sheet brown side up. Top with a Mexican Blend of shredded cheese and put in the oven for about 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the beans are hot.

Top with a dab of sour cream and pico de gallo.

Pico de Gallo:
5 Roma Tomatoes chopped ( I take the seeds out)
1 small onion chopped
2 fresh jalapeno peppers finely chopped (wear rubber gloves and take out the seeds and ribs of the pepper for less heat)
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro chopped
juice of small fresh lime
1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste

Old 08-02-2012, 12:01 PM

330 posts, read 508,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We are going to my daughters for brunch on Sunday. she is serving a Mexican theme meal and I am, as usual in charge of appitizers: They do not need to be Mexican I will add. I have made some mini, cocktail sized meatballs in a green chili sause, they are cooking right now. I am going to do fruit kabobs but I want one more thing. I will mention, the base of what I want to do is some really good, thinly sliced sour dough bread; what should I put on the bread?

I know you will all have some really good ideas for me.

Nita

^^You could make 7 layer bean dip and use the bread and chips for dipping! Simple, and yummy!

Old 08-02-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbOfMemphisTN View Post
^^You could make 7 layer bean dip and use the bread and chips for dipping! Simple, and yummy!
Funny you would suggest that: I was going to do the 7 layer but decided it might be a little to heavy. knowing what my daughter is making. so many good ideas, now just to decide.

Nita

Old 08-02-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
How about toasting the bread and making Bruschetta? Or make a homemade hummus and top with sliced green olives. Olive tapanade, thinly slice pieces of lox, cream cheese and capers on top.
love it, but I pretty much have to skip anything with the tomatoes, cause 3 of the 10 that will be there do not like tomatoes: they are really not very bright you understand..I think thou, it might be fun to do a few with tomatoes, a few other ways and I love the lox idea...yum, yum.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:06 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,539,229 times
A simple appetizer using sourdough bread? Here's one that has only 4 ingredients, and that you can make up well in advance.

Put some fresh sweet butter out to soften
Finely chop a lot of parsley
Cut rounds out of the bread with a biscuit cutter (no crust)
Peel and medium slice sweet white onions, trim to size of the bread rounds (reserve the trims for something else)

For each appetizer, butter two rounds of bread, then make a little sandwich with an onion slice in the middle
Then butter the edge of the sandwich all the way around, and roll it in the chopped parsley until the edge is covered
Place in the refrigerator until well chilled.

Sound strange? Sound too simple? Sound familiar?

Believe it or not, this simple appetizer is what started famed gourmet chef and food writer James Beard's career. He started a catering company specializing in "Hors D'Oeuvre and Canapés," (the title of his first book) and these simple but tasty little bites caused a sensation in New York. Everybody wanted him after that.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:15 AM

1,884 posts, read 4,107,865 times
Go retro, fondue!

Old 08-04-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Go retro, fondue!
haven't done fonue in years. It used to be so much fun....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes