Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:16 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times

Advertisements

Lime chicken soft tacos. Lime Chicken Soft Tacos Recipe - Allrecipes.com I have made this recipe many times and it's delicious! I modify it by cooking the chicken breasts the day before (sometimes in crockpot) and then the day I am serving it I put all the ingredients, including chicken, in a crockpot and cook it on low all day.

I have made that roast sticky chicken mentioned above too. It's wonderful too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 08:18 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,222,366 times
I made shrimp creole for dinner tonight, but since DH doesn't care for shrimp, I made chicken creole for him. (Just substitute chicken for the shrimp.) There's a good recipe here. I usually use canned stewed tomatoes instead of the fresh tomatoes and tomato paste. The sauce reduces a bit in the end, when it simmers.

My new kick is making stromboli once every couple of weeks, in order to use up small amounts of assorted leftovers. You may want to try it with diced, leftover, cooked chicken. There's an extremely easy recipe here, which I use as a guideline. I change out the filling, depending upon what I have on hand that I want to use up. It's very kid friendly and a great way to "hide" vegetables from them too.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:33 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,211 times
Chey Dee - This shrimp recipe looks so good. I also went wandering around this website and found a really good creole seasoning recipe. I definitely will be making the Creole Shrimp or Chicken and also the Creole seasoning. Thanks for posting this site.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:50 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Peel and crush about 12-15 cloves of garlic, and put them in a Dutch oven with a few tablespoonos of oil (if you use olive oil, watch it carefully to make sure it doesn't burn). Add four chicken breasts, and saute chicken and garlic together until the chicken is brown on all sides (but not cooked through), turning the chicken occasionally.

Quarter 4-6 red skinned potatoes, and toss them in with the chicken, stirring to coat them with oil. Add about 1/4 cup of fresh rosemary leaves, 1/2 C of white wine, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes. Turn the chicken and stir the potatoes, and cook another 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.

If you like, add four servings of broccoli to the pot, on top of the chicken and potatoes, and steam them for the last 6-8 minutes of cooking (longer if you like the broccoli more tender). Salt and pepper to taste.
I got all my missing ingredients this morning -- more garlic and the potatoes -- and will definitely be making this next week. Thanks for posting!

I've got a question for you, though. The white wine. I didn't buy white wine (I forgot). Can I use another liquid without ruining the meal, do you think? I have red wine, I have marsala wine, I have chicken broth, I even have water! Whatcha think? Or do I just have to suck it up and go buy white wine?

Old 08-09-2012, 10:37 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,419,786 times
Publix is a grocery chain in the southeast but everyone should be able to access their Simple Apron Recipes. (Let me know if you can't). Just type in chicken or recipes with chicken. I love these recipes -- they are generally quick and easy to halve or double. All of the nutritional information is provided, along with side and dessert sections. (Publix.com).

Old 08-25-2012, 02:26 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
We eat a lot of chicken breast too and I make chicken pot pie at least twice a month. I use the refrigerator pie crusts rolled up two to a box. I think they are Pillsbury. Let them sit out about 15 minutes before you try to unroll them.

My family likes chicken salad and chicken pasta salad. I always have a container of chopped cooked chicken breast in the fridge for pita pockets or tortillas or sandwiches or chicken tacos. It doesn't last long enough to go bad.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:43 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I've got a question for you, though. The white wine. I didn't buy white wine (I forgot). Can I use another liquid without ruining the meal, do you think? I have red wine, I have marsala wine, I have chicken broth, I even have water! Whatcha think? Or do I just have to suck it up and go buy white wine?
It's been a few days since you asked, but I hope you figured something out and didn't ruin the dinner!

Yes, you can substitute other liquids. Each of those listed would pull the overall flavor in a different direction. Since the alcohol in wine cooks off quickly, I'd start with perhaps 10% less of the broth or water, then correct as necessary at the end.

Water would be most neutral. Probably will need a little adjustment of the seasoning.

Chicken broth would pull the dish more towards a "country kitchen" taste, I would expect.

Marsala would pull it toward Chicken Marsala, of course, with that touch of sweetness.

Red wine would be more reminiscent of Coq au Vin, with a dryer taste than the Marsala.

Maybe you could make one each way and then report back!

Good luck!

Old 08-25-2012, 04:33 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,151,520 times
I was never a fan, but an alternative is to eat it with sandwiches. My mom's recipe was mayo, butter, mustard, and pepper on white bread but Martha has a lot that I haven't gotten around to trying.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:48 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
It's been a few days since you asked, but I hope you figured something out and didn't ruin the dinner!

Yes, you can substitute other liquids. Each of those listed would pull the overall flavor in a different direction. Since the alcohol in wine cooks off quickly, I'd start with perhaps 10% less of the broth or water, then correct as necessary at the end.

Water would be most neutral. Probably will need a little adjustment of the seasoning.

Chicken broth would pull the dish more towards a "country kitchen" taste, I would expect.

Marsala would pull it toward Chicken Marsala, of course, with that touch of sweetness.

Red wine would be more reminiscent of Coq au Vin, with a dryer taste than the Marsala.

Maybe you could make one each way and then report back!

Good luck!
Oh, oh! Yes! I made this... I actually got the white wine. My husband was late coming home so it sat in the dutch oven for much longer than the recipe called for (over an hour). I just kept adding splashes of wine. The potatoes got soft and garlicy. The chicken stayed tender. The garlic got really soft and sweet and buttery. It was an absolutely delicious meal. And so easy!

Old 08-25-2012, 06:54 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Oh, oh! Yes! I made this... I actually got the white wine. My husband was late coming home so it sat in the dutch oven for much longer than the recipe called for (over an hour). I just kept adding splashes of wine. The potatoes got soft and garlicy. The chicken stayed tender. The garlic got really soft and sweet and buttery. It was an absolutely delicious meal. And so easy!
Yes, I often find that the more wine you drink, and the more you splash on the food, the softer the dinner gets.

Happy weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes