Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 06:49 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,405,485 times

Advertisements

Here's the frittata recipe I promised to share with some posters.

Frittata Lorraine (from Publix Simple Recipes website)

8 green onions
3 T butter
1/2 lb cooked ham cubes
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
6 eggs
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Chop geen onions into 1/4" pieces, inclduing up to half of the green tops. Preheat large saute pan on medium high 1 to 2 minutes. Melt butter in pan. Add onions, ham and mushrooms. Cook five minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain any excess liquid if needed. Break eggs into medium bowl and whisk thoroughly. Pour eggs into pan and allow to cook one minute, without stirring, until the bottom of the egg mixutre is set. Tilt pan and use spatula to pull cooked eggs up, allowing uncooked eggs to reach bottom of pan. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and cook five minutes until eggs are completely set. Remove from heat. Top with cheese and allow eggs to stand 1 - 2 minutes until cheese is melted.

Suggested items: grits, fresh fruit, biscuits.

I didn't think to copy all of the nutrition information off the website when I got the recipe so here's what I have.

375 calories, 27 g fat, 7 g carbs, 28 g protein, 25% daily calcium, 16% daily iron.

It seems like when I first started seeing recipes for frittatas they would have potatoes in them and I would bake them in the oven. I really like this little quick one and it's pretty. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 11:36 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,325,687 times
"Frittata" is a pretty loose term, which seems to cover a wide range of expression. I think of frittatas as open-faced omelettes, with some eggs as a base, and at least one added ingredient, then maybe some more stuff added, and finally a long slow finish, in an oven or under a broiler or just coasting in a hot skillet.

Yeah, I started with the potatoes and cheese and long bake time, but now I think of it more as just a versatile fundamental for easy improvisation in the kitchen.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:19 AM

20,868 posts, read 28,239,212 times
I am making one for dinner tonight
Garden Vegetable Frittata Recipe : Kelsey Nixon : Recipes : Cooking Channel

Old 08-17-2012, 09:32 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,494,808 times
You know, I have never made a frittata....

This would be so good for a brunch tomorrow! And I happen to have all the ingredients for either one!

Old 08-17-2012, 06:02 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,312,528 times
Frittatas are heaven-sent to those of us who aren't coordinated enough to flip an omelet without splattering the walls. Spouse starts them out on the stovetop and finishes them in the oven once the eggs go in, but any way you slice it, they're wonderful creations. I think my favorite is what he calls "Clean-out-the-refrigerator Frittata," which generally happens right before we pick up another CSA box; everything from asparagus to zucchini goes into it, and oh, my, but it's good.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:04 PM

20,868 posts, read 28,239,212 times
I made mine last night for dinner and it was big hit with both of us. I would make it again maybe using different veggies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes