Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 04:16 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,306,956 times

Advertisements

It is frozen, skinned and gutted with head removed and in my freezer. My first rabbit purchase. Since I'm a first timer, I need to know how to dismember (unless it's supposed to be cooked whole?) as well as how to prepare it.

Hope someone out there can share!

P.S. shark should be "share" - shark would be an entirely different thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 04:18 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,551,644 times
Default Oh no!!!

You're gonna eat Thumper???

Old 08-15-2012, 04:23 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,255,431 times
I don't think sharks and rabbits go together.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:14 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,376,181 times
We ate rabbit a lot in the early 70's. Roommate raised them - sold the meat and the fur. We usually BBQ'd on the grill with a good sauce. But it can be cooked any way you can cook chicken. Rabbit is all white meat, but very moist.

Here's a tutorial I found on how to cut the carcass- the roommate always took care of that part

Old 08-15-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
You're gonna eat Thumper???
I thought I was going to call your post the single most useless response to my thread, until I read...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I don't think sharks and rabbits go together.
Have you never committed a typo? I actually edited my post immediately when I realized my mistake to correct it.

Rough crowd here. So long as you are all getting your kicks lashing out at anonymous people on the Internet, I suppose it's all good.

You both do realize it is ok to just skip a thread without posting if you don't have something to contribute that is on topic, right?

Gandalara - thanks again. Posters like you make it worth dodging the lobbed tomatoes.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:01 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,300,035 times
Here's a recipe for traditional German Rabbit Stew, called Hasenpfeffer. It's quite tasty.

Hasenpfeffer (Rabbit Stew) Recipe - Allrecipes.com

For shark I just brush it with a little olive oil and grill it.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Here's a recipe for traditional German Rabbit Stew, called Hasenpfeffer. It's quite tasty.

Hasenpfeffer (Rabbit Stew) Recipe - Allrecipes.com

For shark I just brush it with a little olive oil and grill it.
This sound delish, what would you serve as a side? I love that it's a stew and no tomatoes. Reps coming your way.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:18 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,300,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
This sound delish, what would you serve as a side? I love that it's a stew and no tomatoes. Reps coming your way.
It's a rich and hearty dish, so I'd keep the rest simple... I think it would be nice with buttered and parsley'd potatoes, or mashed potatoes or buttered egg noodles. On the side, maybe some sauteed carrots.

Happy eating!

Old 08-16-2012, 12:20 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,493,861 times
Rabbit can be used any way that you would use chicken. It does tend to be a little tougher, though, so it may need to cook a while longer.

It can even be roasted like a chicken without cutting it up.

I usually just cut it up, bread it and fry it. Brown it first, then drain off the grease and add a small amount of water to the pan and cover and simmer for ~ an hour. I use the pan juices to make a gravy.

Good luck!! Hope you let us know what you end up doing with it, and how it turns out!!

Old 08-16-2012, 02:36 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,787,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
Rabbit can be used any way that you would use chicken. It does tend to be a little tougher, though, so it may need to cook a while longer.

It can even be roasted like a chicken without cutting it up.

I usually just cut it up, bread it and fry it. Brown it first, then drain off the grease and add a small amount of water to the pan and cover and simmer for ~ an hour. I use the pan juices to make a gravy.

Good luck!! Hope you let us know what you end up doing with it, and how it turns out!!
Fried or braised after being fried and browned a bit. Brings me back to my days of yore, and of hunting rabbits for supper with my brother.

The cuter, the yummier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes