U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-15-2012, 11:37 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
9,944 posts, read 8,153,703 times

Advertisements

Buy big chunk of beef roast, like 5 lbs. Cut into thin strips. Or thicker if you want big strips. I like the big ones. Like 1/4 inch wide to a 1/2 inch wide or so. I put my beef in the freezer for an hour or so to make it easier to cut into strips. Cut off all the fat you can. It doesn't taste good (to me) and it makes your jerky/kippered beef steak go bad faster. Who am I kidding, this stuff is gone in a day or two. Still, I think it tastes bad. Up to you, really.

Mix in a bowl, or big plastic bag
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon pepper (optional)
1 teaspoon red pepper (optional)
Liquid smoke. (Optional.) I'd start with 1/2 a teaspoon and work your way up.)
(Feel free to throw in any spices you like, really. Onion powder, garlic powder, anything you want your jerky to taste like. I like mine spicy, so I use the red/black pepper flakes.)

Put meat and marinade in the ziplock bag in the fridge over night. Kind of give it a squish every once in a while (if you remember) to make sure all the meat is immersed in the marinade. A couple of shifts every now and then, like 2 - 3 hours apart, never hurts. Otherwise, some will get marinated, and the parts that aren't immersed will not get all the flavor. A good indicator that it's not marinated all over is the red color of the parts that still need to get dunked in marinade. LOL. All the meat should be close to a uniform dark color.

After your let it marinate long enough, line the bottom of your oven with tin foil, or a lower rack with tin foil (I got an electric, so it's lower rack for me), to catch drips. Turn oven on the lowest bake setting. Drape meat over top rack rungs. You can also drape it over baking cooling racks, like for cookies, if you want. I just used the oven rack. Be sure to wash the oven rack first, if you have ever cleaned it with Easy-OFF...unless you like lye in your jerky. You'll get a little bit of sauce cooked onto your racks, but it's pretty easy to clean the rack when you're done.

Crack the oven door so moisture can escape, but you can keep the heat in. I take a fork and stick it in between the oven and the oven door and close the door on the fork. Go do something for about 6-8 hours. Depending on how thin you sliced your jerky, it might be as fast as 4 hours. I'd start checking a piece or so after 4 hours. If you eat a piece and it's not quite there, bake a little more. The thinner you go, the more jerky-ish is is, but also you gotta watch it a little better, 'cuz it can dry out. And overly dry jerky is what the Devil chews in Hell.

Voila, jerky. It's SO GOOD. Here's a site with more marinades, and what cuts of beef are best. I think I used to use roasts. It's been a long time, though, since I've made any.
How to Make Kippered Beef Steak | eHow.com

Beef Jerky Recipes You Can Easily Make at Home

P.S I used to make this for my troops when I worked in Colorado Springs. People love this stuff.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 07:13 PM

12,522 posts, read 10,370,177 times
Kippering involves a dry rub and a cold smoke, normally of fish, as in kippered herrings

Not sure why this would be called a kippered anything, since it involves none of those three elements.

I think it's just a jerky.

No hay problemo, but I like to keep terminology clean in the kitchen.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:33 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
9,944 posts, read 8,153,703 times
I thought it looked like the "kippered" steak you buy in gas stations by the bags of jerky, so that's why. No matter whacha call it, it's tasty!

Old 08-17-2012, 04:48 PM

8,094 posts, read 14,070,804 times
I love making beef jerky but it's so darn expensive to do these days. I've used recipes similar to yours for years. Another good one is pickle juice and mustard. A great one for chicken pounded out thin is Chinese plum sauce. It's sort of sweet. The big 'secret' to marinades is you always start with an acid. Could be a little vinegar, wine, or even OJ. Just always an acid solution.

I have a dehydrator and when I make this the house smells amazing. And it all gets eaten up too fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes