Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:15 AM

26,650 posts, read 28,547,840 times

Advertisements

As for mince pie (or mincemeat pie) it has nothing to do with meat. Originally it did have meat but today you just buy it in a can and use it as a pie filling. We do it every year.

The grocery store brands are horrible but there's one good brand that most people recommend--http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Blackwell-Mincemeat-Rum-Brandy/dp/B0000TA3B2

That's expensive. We buy ours in a British shop and just get a small jar. Very good for a vegetarian pie! But sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 AM

47,975 posts, read 21,933,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As for mince pie (or mincemeat pie) it has nothing to do with meat. Originally it did have meat but today you just buy it in a can and use it as a pie filling. We do it every year.

The grocery store brands are horrible but there's one good brand that most people recommend--http://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Blackwell-Mincemeat-Rum-Brandy/dp/B0000TA3B2

That's expensive. We buy ours in a British shop and just get a small jar. Very good for a vegetarian pie! But sweet.
I often pick up a couple of jars of Cross & Blackwell mincemeat discounted after the Christmas holiday.

and while we are on the subject.....I am one of the few people it seems who really like Fruit Cake....and it has been at least 5 years since I had a slice of it at the holiday time. It used to be a common gift..but I guess I am going to have to order one for myself or make one. Probably order one.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:02 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,112,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Actually, it's to help hold the grounds at the very bottom of the pot so they don't get poured into the cup. Some folks put an egg white or even a whole egg in the pot for that purpose.
Actually, it's both. "Holding the grounds" at the bottom is not much of a modern-day concern.

How to Use Eggshells in Coffee | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 04-22-2014, 12:25 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,228,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
"Holding the grounds" at the bottom is not much of a modern-day concern.

As the linked article states, it depends upon the type of coffeepot.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:37 AM

133 posts, read 280,259 times
Default Re: Old timey recipes

Quote:
I just remembered my father (rip) used to eat pig brains I think they called it scrapple and hog head cheese
Back in the day folks ate the whole animal. So do we, technically, but the odd bits tend to be disguised better.

Pig brains, scrapple and head cheese are 3 different things.

Brains - no explanation needed. My mother used to scramble them with eggs.

Scrapple is leftovers from butchering - bones, meat scraps, some times liver heart etc. boiled with onions salt & pepper. The bones are picked out, the meat & onions chopped fine then put back into the boiling liquid with cornmeal and cooked until it's solid. The result is put into pans, chilled then sliced and fried. It's quite good. I still make it, but I cheat - I use breakfast sausage, as I don't butcher (kind of difficult if you don't live on a farm)

Head cheese is a pig head - brains removed, that's been simmered until the meat falls off the bone. The meat is packed in pans or sausage casing with the liquid and chilled. The skin and ears make the broth very gelatinous and give the sausage it's consistency. I like it, as do folks I've served it to. I just call it "terraine du tete".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes