Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2012, 06:10 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,256 times

Advertisements

OK . . . I started to make this one thread but it's really two. So here is thread one. I've used pasta and sauces, etc. a lot over the years but what I want to know are the equivalents of my "home southern cooking". Each region has things, like our cornbread dressing, that we just grow up learning to cook without recipes.

So for all of you who grew up in Italian families, have Italian heritage or are from a region known for pasta, I have a few requests.

1. What are your "go to" dishes?
2. What do you like for a family meal that makes good seconds and/ or freezes well?
3. What are your favorite pasta shapes and sauces?
4. What do "non - Italian" cooks do with their pasta that yould never dream of doing? (I'm thinking along the lines of the sugar in the cornbread for a Southerner).

Thanks so much in advance. I love the diversity of this forum and all of the great ideas we share. I'll post my next thread thought later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 09:25 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
I make my own sauce with meatballs, sausage and short ribs in them.I can freeze that.There isn't a pasta I met that I never liked LOL. I always have onions and garlic on hand, use them everyday, balsamic vinegar, olive oil,Italian seasoning, fresh or frozen basil,capers. I am 1/4 Italian but My husband is 1/2 sicilian. I use lot of fresh lemons juice in my cooking too. I make a pretty good lasagna both with red sauce and I make a spinach one no red sauce. I love to toss pasta with broccoli rabe, I use farfalle or rotelle for this.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:54 PM

Oh, thanks Lubby. Posts like yours are exactly what I'm hoping for!!! Please tell me what dishes have the lemon juice. Also, I'm interested in the spinach lasagna without the red sauce.

What are some differences between Sicilian and Italian cooking?

To all of our fellow posters . . . I am behind a bit (I think) on getting some recipes posted but I'm going slow as I'm getting some carpal tunnel under control. Frustrating . . . but what do you do? Anyway, it may take me a while but I always finish what I start out to do!

Old 08-18-2012, 01:03 PM

I make chicken picatta using lemon juice my recipe is on here somewhere. Not sure of the difference between sicilian and Italian cooking. I'll post the spinach lasagna tomorrow.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:31 PM

Spinach lasagna:

9 cooked lasagna noodles
10 oz box frozen chopped spinach (thatw first then squeeze out excess liquid)
16 oz whole milk ricotta ( I use polly O)
1/4 cup grated romano cheese
2 eggs
salt and pepper to taste

For the bechamel sauce:
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup flour
pinch of nutmeg
4 cups milk
1/2 cup fontina cheese or mozzarella grated or shredded

Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions then drain.

In a 2 quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes. Always stirring, gradually add the milk and continue to whisk until the sauce is smooth and creamy. Simmer until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. This will take approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in nutmeg and cheese. In another bowl combine ricotta, eggs, romano cheese,salt and pepper and spinach, Mix well.take a ladle of bechamel and coat the bottom of a 9X13 baking dish, layer 3 lasagna noodles side by side spread about 1/2 cup of the ricotta mixture onto the noodles, top with bechamel, repeat steps until noodles are gone. pour remainder of the bechamel on top and spread with a rubber spatula to smooth it out, then add the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Bake on 425 for 25 minutes.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:03 PM

Ooo . . . Lubby, the lasagna sounds so good! Look forward to making it soon. Thanks for posting.

Last edited by antiquesmountainapache; 08-19-2012 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes