U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 08:11 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,596,630 times

Advertisements

This is for you and I hope you like this as much as we do. I got it off of Allrecipes website about 4-5 years ago and I have been making it ever since (making a batch this weekend BTW!!) I am including my notes at the end. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do. It is delicious and the house smells great while it us baking. Let me know what you think....

APPLE WALNUT BREAD

3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup applesauce
3 eggs
1 3/4 cups white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3 cups of peeled, cored, and cubed apples
1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly grease two 9x5 loaf pans (spray with Pam). In a large bowl, stir together the oil, applesauce, eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing just until they are combined. Fold in the chopped apples and walnuts. Pour into the prepared pans and bake in a preheated oven for 70 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

My notes: I usually use chunky applesauce, but smooth is good too. I have used ALL white flour if I don't have wheat flour on hand and it still turned out great. I NEVER sift my flour (shame on me!). Make sure your chopped apples are very small pieces unless you like big soft hunks in your bread. I prefer to use Granny Smith apples, they don't mush up and they are tart-sweet. Walnuts can be increased or left out to your liking. I have also added a couple handfuls of raisins cause my husband loves them (I hate them.) I have also drizzled a little bit of caramel over this after it has cooled a bit (those little cartons you get for dipping apple slices) and that is really yummy!!! This bread freezes really well - just wrap it tightly in foil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 07:37 AM

18,434 posts, read 29,390,516 times
OOOH Thank you! That sounds really good, sounds a lot like some muffins I used to make when the kids were little. I never have wheat flour on hand so I'm glad to know all white works ok too! Thanks for the recipe!!

Old 08-19-2012, 02:52 PM

15,615 posts, read 14,880,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Is your banana nut bread recipe much different than this one?
Mine is almost exactly the same except it's halved, and I make 3 mini-loaves* and take them to work. My mother used to make it for our kids when they were little and I believe hers came out of an old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. It seems like a classic recipe; however, whenever I make it, people either ask me to bake it again or they ask for the recipe. I also get requests to make it without the nuts. (I didn't think anyone could make bad banana bread until a coworker brought hers in and it was dry and not good, to put it nicely.)

*bake for 40 minutes instead of 60

Old 08-19-2012, 04:31 PM

I thought the same thing until I had some dried out as well.... I am making it again this week!

Old 08-19-2012, 05:40 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,702,174 times
According to my Martha Stewart cookbook:

eat this: banana bread | love.life.eat

Old 08-20-2012, 07:10 AM

15,615 posts, read 14,880,955 times
Here's a gluten free recipe for banana bread that was in yesterday's Parade magazine. The author, Elisabeth Hasselbeck (The View), said she has celiac disease and had to tinker with the recipe to get the right texture and flavor: GlutenFree Banana Bread | Dashrecipes.com

Old 08-20-2012, 03:12 PM

3,244 posts, read 1,056,971 times
I make banana bread all the time and your recipe is a lot like mine too, but I use light brown sugar and only 1 1/2 cups, and 1/2 cup of buttermilk. I've also added chopped strawberries from time to time, and it's delicious.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Wilfong View Post
I make banana bread all the time and your recipe is a lot like mine too, but I use light brown sugar and only 1 1/2 cups, and 1/2 cup of buttermilk. I've also added chopped strawberries from time to time, and it's delicious.
I have some buttermilk I need to use, can you post your exact recipe?

Old 08-20-2012, 05:45 PM

18,856 posts, read 31,600,659 times
I add oatmeal for part of the flour. Always comes out yummy. I really love making banana cake, with cream cheese frosting.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:30 PM

Oh that sounds good Jasper. I think we totally all need to join together for a cake/ banana nut bread taste testing party! LOL

NO Dry breads allowed! =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes