U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 09:52 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,349,611 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

So went to the MD and was told I am at risk for hypertension. I was researching what foods are good to eat to try to lower this, and most seem managable, but the one that kept coming up was fish. Being a midwesterner I'm not super experienced when it comes to the cuisine of the sea. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy seafood, and will order it in restaurants occasionally, but I very rarely cook with it.

So I have a a few questions I was hoping people could aid me with.

1) What fish is easy to work with that a beginner type cook would be able to prepare without disaster?

2) What is the easiest method, again for not screwing up a fish? Baking? Sautee? Grill?

3) I have a strong dislike for prefrozen chicken, and prefer to buy it fresh and then freeze it. Do people feel the same way about fish? I always see those frozen salmon filets and they seem to be pretty cheap. Is this type of stuff decent?

4) What are some pairings with fish that are filling and healthy that you like?

5) Any recipies to reccomend? Personal favorites?

6) Any advice on what to look for when I shop for fish? Things that are cost effective, or overpriced?

If anyone answers 1 or all the questions, I would be most appreciated. I look forward to learning....

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 11:33 AM

3,543 posts, read 2,371,183 times
Tiliapia is very easy to cook and very mild. More importantly, it is inexpensive. Here is a simple recipe:
Ingredients
4 tilapia fillets
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
white pepper to taste, dash of salt
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Rinse tilapia fillets under cool water, and pat dry with paper towels.
3. Place fillets in baking dish. Pour lemon juice over fillets, then drizzle butter on top. Sprinkle with salt, garlic, parsley, and pepper.
Bake in preheated oven until the fish is white and flakes when pulled apart with a fork.
You can have this with a fresh garden salad and maybe ears of corn

Since you are in the Midwest, it will be easy for you to find perch at the supermarkets (they don't seem to go in for it much here in Glendale). That would be another delicious and not-too-expensive choice as well.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:20 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,702,471 times
When I first started cooking fish, I liked to buy salmon fillets and dump them into the oven for 40-50 minutes. I would also add olive oil, lemon wedges, salt and pepper, and sometimes even sugar. You can also broil them, although I don't recommend it because while the meat comes out really tender, the broiling can take as long as more than an hour.

There is a major issue because sometimes the fish ends up undercooked, which can cause parasites. My mother had a good lecture with me about that regarding halibut. She told me I needed to cook longer since she hates raw fish and was grumpily examining the texture, but actually I've eaten fish of that quality in restaurants. I was reading on another forum that it's not that much different from steak.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:29 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,211,852 times
I know you might not like prefrozen but IMO the "True Value" (Walmart's brand) fish fillets are awesome and cheap. That is about the only fish I'll eat without catching it myself.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:42 PM

13,308 posts, read 21,866,149 times
Parasites are not typically a concern with ocean fish. I have eaten raw halibut in the form of nigiri many times.

Broiling a piece of salmon for an hour would cause a house fire here. I know of no fish that can withstand 50 minutes in even a moderate oven that wouldn't come out dry, overdone and unpalatable.

When shopping for fish, look for the words "wild caught"; avoid farm raised. Very simple way of broiling a nice salmon fillet - smear a thin layer of mayo on it, and pop in the broiler for about 7 minutes. Check for doneness with a fork; if it flakes and is no longer opaque in the middle, it's done. Thicker fillets may take up to 11 minutes or so. Sprinkle with fresh chopped herbs and/or sriracha sauce.

In the case of fish, it is better to cook and eat a frozen fillet, than to buy fresh in bulk, prepare, and freeze.

As far as sides, the broiled salmon described above could be served with a side of grain and veg, couscous and broccoli, quinoa and grilled asparagus, etc.

Do you have a Trader Joes shop nearby? If so, pick up the mahi mahi in chimichurri sauce in the freezer section. Defrost in the fridge, and pop onto a George Foreman style indoor grill for 5 minutes; turn the pieces 90 degrees in either direction, and grill for a few more minutes. They will be perfectly cooked and even have a visually appealing cross hatch grill pattern.

Last edited by Orangeish; 08-21-2012 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: Mahi mahi, durn auto correct!

Old 08-21-2012, 01:53 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,349,611 times
Good stuff so far. Thanks everyone, Ill keep checking this thread

donth8me - I edited your post for you. Though magi magi sounds delicious as well and yes we do have trader joes near us.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:00 PM

32,309 posts, read 59,595,182 times
1) What fish is easy to work with that a beginner type cook would be able to prepare without disaster?
Cod, salmon, whitefish

2) What is the easiest method, again for not screwing up a fish? Baking? Sautee? Grill?
Baking or broiling is easiest; grilled fish is great, but get one of those grilling baskets to prevent a decently flaky fish from falling into the coals.

Fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork. A one-inch hunk of salmon won't take more than 10 minutes to broil. Thinner pieces take 7 or 8 minutes.

3) I have a strong dislike for prefrozen chicken, and prefer to buy it fresh and then freeze it. Do people feel the same way about fish? I always see those frozen salmon filets and they seem to be pretty cheap. Is this type of stuff decent?
I think so, but I'm not that horribly fussy and I eat tuna right out of the can.

4) What are some pairings with fish that are filling and healthy that you like?
I'm OK with a plate full of a hunk or two of fish with lemon, butter and dill or rosemary, and steamed broccoli with the same.

5) Any recipies to reccomend? Personal favorites?
I pretty much like fish straight up. I'm partial to Lake Erie walleye and perch, but that's tough to get around here. Mostly I eat salmon and cod, yellowfin tuna, and rarely I'll indulge in swordfish.

6) Any advice on what to look for when I shop for fish? Things that are cost effective, or overpriced?

Here's a link to get you started:

How to Cook Fish and Seafood - Basic Tips and Information on Cooking Fish

Seafood like shrimp, scallops and octopus is good too!

Old 08-21-2012, 07:35 PM

1,470 posts, read 1,702,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
As far as sides, the broiled salmon described above could be served with a side of grain and veg, couscous and broccoli, quinoa and grilled asparagus, etc.
Or mashed potatoes, which works really well. If you're adventurous, even soy sauce. I've found lemon juice and arugula are magical with the fish.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:23 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,211,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
I know you might not like prefrozen but IMO the "True Value" (Walmart's brand) fish fillets are awesome and cheap. That is about the only fish I'll eat without catching it myself.
I'm sorry, it's not True Value LOL

It's Great Value brand.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:12 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,490,498 times
I personally like the tilapia fillets at Aldi's and those at Walmart. Some people don't like tilapia but I like to put Blackened Spice (which you can buy at Walmart) on the fillets and cook in a hot teflon skillet with a dab of lower fat margarine. Or, cook with no blackened spice the same way.

Omega 3 fats in fish help your body in many ways - help with lowering cholestrol, tryglicerides, depression, and preventing high blood pressure. My cardiologist recommended wild salmon as one of the best fish to eat. You can find these wild salmon filets at Walmart and I'm sure at a number of other grocery stores. Even canned salmon and tuna are good for you too, but watch the sodium content if you have hypertension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes